The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default kitten question #2

I admit, out of dogs, cats, horses...I know very little about cat dynamics.

Little guy...three months of age..came into the house about two weeks ago. Very outgoing, fears nothing...cool kitten.

I've been waking up in the middle of the night with kitten pressed in my armpit attempting to nurse on my sleeve Soaking my shirt sleeve (and thank god it's just my arm pit, I tend to bury my body in the covers now. ). I have been picking him up and putting him down on the floor when he does it...

Now barn manager says his two siblings do the same thing to a blanket on her couch. The momma cat did wean them at her discretion.

So....should I fear for certain body parts or will this pass?

Well, it may not pass, but don't worry - he won't progress to gnawing off a toe...

I've only had one cat that actually wanted to nurse (though several that kneaded), and she never really outgrew it, but she became much less persistent at it when pushed away or distracted.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Awww! Let him/her nurse -- I have two that do that. One is now 6 years old and 14 lbs, I raised him from about a week old on an eyedropper and a bottle. He still crawls into my lap and nurses on any sort of throw or blanket. The other was a feral kitten we trapped in one of the stallion's little barn/run-in along with litter mates and her mother. Two kittens were adopted by a friend, but this one became a real cuddle kitty and nurses on my shoulder area clothing. She also gets it wet, but it gives her comfort and security. She does it less and less, but honestly, it's harmless and very sweet -- she probably needs that little attachment right now. It won't progress to biting, so no worries.
    PennyG

I've a couple that did that and both quit although they do seem to be determined to cover me in cat spit via licking. One was so determined that she would hold on tight to my hand so she could suck a finger; never used claws but could grip so tight with her paw pads I could lift her up that way. She finally gave that habit up and now just licks. It does show that the kitten is comfortable with you and has bonded.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Woke up last night to cat stuck to shirt. Got up, changed shirts...went back to bed....he came running over and was not pleased that his shirt was gone and left. I think I'm just going to donate that shirt to him. Must have something to do with the fabric and not me.

Just like TKR, I have a six year old who still likes to nurse and knead. She was a bottle baby, and I have noticed a trend with kittens who lose their mothers early wanting to nurse things. Cats love to nurse on soft things, like wool. Maybe if you get a wool throw or cuddly blanket the kitten will nurse that instead of you. I have some sort of fuzzy blanket I got at Target on our bed, and for some reason the cats love it for that purpose.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I have one that does it, and she is now ~6 years old. She was a stray that I took in when she was about a year old, so I don't know how she was raised/if she got enough time with mama.

She will only do it when is very happy and relaxed. She will purr away and lick whatever is in front of her.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We have one that sucks on ear lobes He is almost two years old and actually did it last night again but he has not done it in a long time. He was such a cute kitten that I couldn't resist letting him do it but once he got big teeth he was done!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

One of our cats did that as a kitten but stopped by the time she was about a year old. She was a feral kitten we took in when she was 4 weeks old because her mama was run over by a car. She ate wet kitten food just fine so we never had to feed her with a dropper. She would just crawl into bed next to either me or DH and get herself a little fold of blanket to nurse on. She's 8 years old now and every so often will take a fold of blanket and lick it a few times, but that's about it.