The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default who keeps birds as pets, how old are the birds?

Nope, not calling ya'll one! but just want to see who has pet birds and if they are considered "old"

I have a19 year old love bird. (usually live about 10-12 years). Pickle has outsurvived his mate (who died this past march, she was 17!) and their only clutch of 3 babies.

Pickle, is totally blind now but in general good health, and is on a milk thistle supplement to support his kidneys. been on that for a couple years. He sits by his heat lamp all day and gets to sleep on a heating pad at night since he seems not to moderate body heat well. He loves table food: pasta, crackers, corn, rice, almonds, steak, salmon, chicken, bread, cake (not chocolate). He also gets some spray millet, pellets and I add "sunshine factor" supplement.

He pretty much sleeps all day except when he hears me cooking or when he's expecting to get his warmed table food in the am. yes, he has me well trained. he doesn't necessarily feel like doing any of his tricks but still loves to be held and cuddled for hours. Every now and then he takes to grooming my face and lips..and does his old trick of pulling my lower lip down to get to my mouth...the ONE trick he still likes and its the ONE I hate!

So..tell me about your old birds!
    Last edited by bigbaytb; May. 5, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

I have two Cockatiels we got 17 years ago this month. They were quite young when we got them and they are still going strong.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have a four year old Senegal parrot and three year old Blue-headed Pionus. I just love them - they are such characters. I'm not afraid to admit that they run our household!

We have a blue front amazon, now 25 but that's not old for them. She's lived with us since she was twelve weeks old.
    We have two cockateils who are several years old, three doves who also are several years old and recently lost our blue crown conyor who was forty five.

The blue front is ruler of this house and reminds us at every opportunity
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Wow, pj, 45? That is amazing. I have a little white finch that I found half frozen on a tree limb. I brought him? her? home 5 years ago and he lived with the parakeet that someone found in a pasture at the boarding barn where we kept our horses for a while.

The parakeet died unexpectedly last year, but the little finch seems to be thriving, thank goodness. I am considering buying another one to keep him company, but I'm still not sure if he would like that or if he would feel like there's an intruder in his little aerie.

If you think 45 is good, beware getting a cockatoo--well-cared-for, they essentially have a human lifespan of 80+ years.

The last budgie lived to be about 8, and he was special--had a HUGE vocabulary and talked up a storm. I'd love another but with the cats, it wouldn't be feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If you think 45 is good, beware getting a cockatoo--well-cared-for, they essentially have a human lifespan of 80+ years.

I think it's the same for the Blue Front Amazons.
    Nothing happens this one is more than likely to out live us.
    My oldest daughter will take her if that happens and it kind of worrys me as she keeps several cats inside. We have one inside and the the amazon LOVES that cat.
    Will groom her for an hour or so but while she loves cats (hates the dogs) I don't know how my daughter's cats will love the parrot!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I grew up with an amazing African Grey. I love those birds. As soon as I'm settled and home enough to care for one, I'll be getting one of my own. I've never met a smarter or more sensitive bird breed.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I have a 1-1/2 year old Timneh African Gray named DaVinci. He is just warming up his vocabulary
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Since I quit actively breeding parrots I have kept my old 'retired' breeders. My oldest I knew from well heck, before she was a gleam in her daddy's eyes !! She was born 2/29/88 and is an Indian Ringneck. She is now "graying" (manifests as yellow feathers instead of normal green) and has some balding spots. She is unsteady on her feet now and we've moved her to a much smaller cage with less room to fall and a padded bottom.

I also have a Quaker who was an adult import back in the mid 1980's... so no actual age but he's for sure pushing 30. Gets more ornery as he gets older and not slowing down AT ALL!!

We still have about 30+ others as we wind down but those two are the oldest.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

I always have a single white dove, always named Daphne.

Last Daphne cancer finally claimed at 12, current Daphne is 7...doves are supposed to "last" 18 years. She's still laying clutches of 2 eggs fairly frequently.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I have finches. The current pair I got in 2007. No telling how old they were when I got them, but I am assuming they are at least 5. I used to have a lot of finches, and had one old guy who I had forever, best guess he made it to the ripe old age of 20. Pretty good for one of the little birds (as opposed to the big guys who seem to live as long as a human.)
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

I had a cockatiel that I got as soon as he was able to leave the nest,and he was 27 when he died of unnatural causes. I have always wondered how long he would live. Unfortunately he wasn't living with me, but with my parents at the time of his death and his death was a total accident.

I still miss him. He was such a good companion.

3 budgies.

The oldest is about 4, the youngest about 1 1/2.

Reminds me, they spend the afternoon outside... better get them in before the boogieman gets them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

When I was growing up a friend of my horse mentor inherited a parrot from I think his mother when she passed. The parrot was... I want to say... 65 years old. His mother had gotten the parrot when she was a teenager or something as a pet, and Walt had inherited the parrot, and Walt (who was in his 30s) had written the parrot into his will because he wasn't going to bet the parrot wouldn't outlive him!

Last I heard the parrot is still quite alive and is approaching 80.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Have three types of birds:

My three little Bourks Keet hens (all rainbows) are now 10, 14 and 16.

Oldest Quaker is 16, other two (rescues) are approximately 13 and 11.

Cockatoos:
    Little Corellas (Bare-Eyed) are 14 and 16
    Goffins, both rescues, uncertain ... one is wild-caught been captive at least 24 years, other one a little over 25.
    Lesser Sulfur Crests one is 18, the rescue is at least 30
    Eleanora (Medium Sulfur Crest) traced through 6 former owners, is pushing 40

Ages on the rescues based on former traceable owners.

The 'Toos will probably all outlive me. Grand daughter will try to take at least one, but I'm making plans for the others.
    Sharon
    Larapinta Sport Horses
    Arab Eventers