The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does your animal know when you're in pain?

Hi, I know this may seem cheesy, but do you think your pet can sense when you are in pain? I am wondering if they can only sense something is different in you. The reason I ask is; I suffer from bad Migraines and my BF's min pin(who I claim) will not leave my side when I am having one. Perhaps some dogs can just pick up when we are NQR.

thanks,

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Probably the read our body language (and with dogs, who knows, maybe our scent) and know we're distressed.

My last border collie would lay against my legs or on my legs when I was sick, not any other time.

My little terrier, on the other hand, tried to push me off the bed several times when I had surgery and had to rest all the time.
    She had no compassion for me at all, she wanted me to get going with our lives and quit feeling bad.
    So, even if they know you don't feel good, some dogs will still not commiserate with you.

My dog gets nervous sometimes when people are in pain- I think she gets a little bothered by people not acting "right". She tries hard and I think she usually knows when people need a little help, but occasionally it's too much for her.

My cat, on the other hand, who is a witchy little thing with a terrible temper, never fails to find me whenever I am upset and turns into the most adorable, affectionate kitty. For all of her mean kitty traits (my family and friends all call her the devil cat) she is very in tune with my emotions and can be very comforting.

When I broke my ankle ,my cat ,Gracie would perchon my cast on my ankle once a day ,for purry healing. After the cast came off she would again sit up on that ankle when I had it propped up. Now that it is better ,she does not sit on my leg.

My male aussie has the knack for not only knowing when I'm in pain but acting as my hotpack

My girl tends to stay quiet with me wherever I am. When I had surgery in February she slept tucked in tight against my side, keeping me from rolling over onto my side or stomach. It was very helpful.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Absolutley they can. There are service dogs that alert people when they are on the verge of a seizure so I do believe they can "read " peoples emotions and state of mind very well.

Mine know, but whether they care is a whole 'nuther matter

My cats and dogs have always acted indifferent when I'm sick or injured.

They never alert me to earthquakes either, and I have to catch my own mice.

Worthless, the whole lot.

Absolutely, but Huskies are known for being so in tune with their owners. When either one of us is sick, Tucker lays as close as he can to us until we're feeling better.

My horse does, my dog couldn't care less. He's a Shiba Inu though and they are know for being self-absorbed. He's still sweet and cuddly.

My cat knows when I am sick and tries to keep me from getting out of bed. Once I am well, she demands I get up at 5 am to feed her. Then she goes back to bed. Ya gotta love it!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

My one male mini schnauzer was very supportive and concerned when I was sick or upset, but my other dogs never cared at all about me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Our dogs sleep next to whoever is sick for as long as they're sick. Also, isn't there something about some dogs finding cancer? I think there was also something recently about a cat that lived in a nursing home and went to people and stayed with them while they died. Amazing creatures they all are!

yeah, they can smell cancers. I had a dog alert me to a tumor in another dog. They can probably identify all kinds of things but they don't really understand what it means or how to act most of the time or just may not care- oh she smells weird/ is acting weird again I'll go entertain myself.
    Friend I know who has a seizure alert dog tells me it takes a lot of time to get the dog to understand what to do.

Mine sticks like glue when I'm sick. Probably because she knows she can get away with sleeping in my bed all day with me!

I don't know if she knows I'm sick or because she gets away with stuff because I'm too tired to care.

I definitely think there are remarkable animals out there though.

Did you see the article of the rabbit who alerted its owner to a fire (I think?)