The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    If you can find a boarding facility close to a train station it's not too bad because you don't have to deal with traffic.

I grew up in NYC and rode at what is now Old Salem (it was The Hill way back when). I took the train up to Brewster and either got picked up by a friend or caught a cab.
    Old Salem is the farm Frank Madden and Steve Weiss just moved into after Florida. I don't think it is in your budget.

I used to travel from Battery Park City to first Long Island, then Westchester County. Long Island TOO much traffic. The stable was 30 Miles away sometimes the drive would take two hours. Coker Farm and Heritage Farm are about 50 to 55 miles, usually less than an hour driving time. NJ has always been affordable with great training.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I would totally suggest living in Weehawken or Jersey City, I've worked in the city and lived in both. Anywhere around Newport/Pavonia, Exchange Place or Grove street path is great... weehawken is a 10 min bus ride to port authority.
    I got a smaller apt in a good area, and a cheap a$$ car, to afford board on not one but TWO horses I drive out to in Central NJ to see. Its tough to find the time and I needed a GOOD barn staff I trusted since I wasnt there anywhere close to daily.. but I've done it, and if you are attached to your horse its worth it.

Please dont hesitate to PM me for recommendations on apts, transportation or farms.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyrileyxoxo View Post
    I strongly recommend Zephyr Farm in Mahopac, NY. Its about 45 minutes away from the city and Croton Falls train station is minutes away. The board there is one of the cheapest in the area and I'm sure there would be someone interested in a half lease. Also, Carla Sacco is a great and hard working trainer who will do anything to please her customers. She is well known and an extremely knowledgable person. Here is the website and feel free to contact me if you would like anymore info! http://www.zephyrfarminc.com/
    I would agree. She has been around as long as I can remember (back to the Primrose Farm in Somers, NY days) and she has done a good job...

Well, Meupatdoes is right... Board DOES start way up there in Westchester. You can board for that lower price, but you will be in an any of the following, or all of the following: old, dark barn, high windows no one even with a horse neck can see out of, pathetic turnout -- as in small, rocky paddocks and for about 3 hours/day, and often rings with worn out footing. If you pay $2800 or up, you'll get fewer of those icky things.

It's just a lot cheaper, strangely, in NJ or even Long Island.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

It is brutal even when you set it up so that your living place is a 3 minute drive from the Pulaski Skyway and your commute is 45 minutes (not double that) to the barn. I basically never sat down between 4:30am and 10:00pm and the only time I spent in my living room was to commute between the bedroom, bathroom, and front door. It was Work Sleep Ride and nothing else. I ate at my desk.

Either way, no matter which way you slice it, NJ is less expensive than NY. If you want the same prices you get in 45 minutes in NJ, you have to drive twice that far in NY. If you want to know WHY I chose to live and keep my horses in NJ, there is your answer. I could have lived and kept my horses anywhere, but NJ has lower prices, and those barns are closer.
    now that is what I would call commitment! kudos! although a lifestyle I would never like to take on.

About NJ v. NYC: NJ doesn't have the peculiar, strange smell that NYC does. I also find Jersey City quite nice. They have a great shopping center, NO TAXES whatsoever on clothing (=better shopping), and it's cheaper in general including supermarket food.

I have a friend that lives in JC and works on Wall Street. It's not a bad commute at all. It takes her 30 minutes to get to the office.
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Updated question a year later - I'm going to make this harder now... my boss switched my schedule so I'm off every other Sunday only and Monday. I've managed to find cars to rent reasonable and driving through the city isn't as bad as I expected. I've been taking lessons out at Redfield farm which has been great but they (like most hunter-jumper barns) are closed Monday. At this point, I decided not to bring my horse out with me so need a barn with lesson horses.

Now for the really hard question - not only do I need a hunter/jumper barn in drivable distance of NYC but I need one open Monday. I'm aware this is nearly impossible to find. The barn must have lesson horses, take good care of them, and have safe, quality instruction. Everything else is open for discussion. Suggestions?

Riverdale and Twin Lakes are open on Mondays, if they have not changed their schedule recently.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875