The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter/Jumper barns around NYC - Updated question post #26

I know this has been discussed before, but the most recent topic I can find is a few years old so...

I'm moving to NYC (Midtown Manhattan) in the next 4-6 weeks from Sacramento, CA. I just found out a few days ago, so I have to get organized quickly! I own a horse, a wonderful 15-year-old WB gelding, who I just starting taking in the 3'6 EQ classes.
    I don't think I can afford to bring him with me (I'm going to be an intern at a hospital, so cost is a huge issue) but I want to at least look into it. I'll be working 5 1/2 days a week, so if there was a good chance of half-leasing him to someone else I'd be a lot more likely to bring him. He's a been-there, done that kind of horse who will fix just about any mistake you make even to big jumps.

Likewise, I also probably will not bring my car with me.

If I can't bring him I would really like to find somewhere to keep riding. Riding is a major stress relief for me, especially when I get busy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by In The Gate; Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gate View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but the most recent topic I can find is a few years old so...

I'm moving to NYC (Midtown Manhattan) in the next 4-6 weeks from Sacramento, CA. I just found out a few days ago, so I have to get organized quickly! I own a horse, a wonderful 15-year-old WB gelding, who I just starting taking in the 3'6 EQ classes.
    I don't think I can afford to bring him with me (I'm going to be an intern at a hospital, so cost is a huge issue) but I want to at least look into it. I'll be working 5 1/2 days a week, so if there was a good chance of half-leasing him to someone else I'd be a lot more likely to bring him. He's a been-there, done that kind of horse who will fix just about any mistake you make even to big jumps.

Likewise, I also probably will not bring my car with me.

If I can't bring him I would really like to find somewhere to keep riding. Riding is a major stress relief for me, especially when I get busy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    One thing to consider may be to live in Jersey City instead of Manhattan. It is an easy train ride to mid town (same as coming in from Brooklyn or way uptown), but rents are MUCH more affordable and it is MUCH easier to keep a car, plus you also save 4% by not paying Manhattan residence tax.

So the money saved on rent and the ability to keep a car easier will keep a couple hundred in the till every month toward maybe keeping your horse at a place out in Jersey.

There are a lot of places out there that may have someone for a lease for him, among them Four Seasons, Redfield Farms and Gary Zook's place.

Stay away from boarding in NY state, it is all $3k per month within driving distance of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

Stay away from boarding in NY state, it is all $3k per month within driving distance of the city.
    Not true at all! There are plenty of places more around the $1500-$2000 price range.

Zephyr and Fox Hill come to mind off the top of my head. It will be significantly less expensive outside of Westchester, but you'll also be farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Not true at all! There are plenty of places more around the $1500-$2000 price range.
    OK, but that is still double or more the $800 - $1000 base board average in central NJ, which is about 35 minutes out from Jersey City.

So you can pay the bargain price of two grand and drive an hour and a half/ two hours (all the barns from Yorktown to freakin' Brewster say they are "about an hour from NYC" and they are kidding themselves. I live 25 miles north of Central Park -not the GWB, Central Park-, and between 4pm and 7pm it takes at least an hour and a half to get from the house to Lincoln Center), or you can drive half an hour-45 minutes and pay $650 for this.

If she has to commute either way I don't quite get why she ought to pick the doubly expensive area.

You'd be way wrong. By driving distance to the city I'd say 1 1/2 hours. In Brookville LI about $900. A bit further east in Huntington LI $800, and at the far end of 1 1/2 hours there are places for under $600.
    Now if you you want to pay the prices you quoted you can go 2 hours to the Hamptons and pay just because the farm is IN the Hamptons. LOL

These are places that show, have trainers and easy transportation to shows.

As in all things relating to horses it can cost whatever you want it to.

Just me but I would NOT want to live in Jersey City, no way.

A couple of us here on the forums (me, included) are riding at Redfield and are quite happy. Neither of us own horses OR cars, so we've been splitting ZipCars and riding out together. Redfield's "school horses," if you can even call them that, are really super and we've all been very happy.

I have to say... I'd recommend not bringing your horse, as sad as it may be. It's virtually impossible to ride more than once in a week if you're working a regular job in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    You'd be way wrong. By driving distance to the city I'd say 1 1/2 hours.
    You consider a 3 hour round trip driving distance?

As someone who actually HAS held down a regular job (BigLaw attorney) while working in Manhattan and keeping three horses going four times a week each, I can tell you it involved getting up at 4:30am and doing three hours worth of commuting before I even got to my desk at 10:30.

It is brutal even when you set it up so that your living place is a 3 minute drive from the Pulaski Skyway and your commute is 45 minutes (not double that) to the barn. I basically never sat down between 4:30am and 10:00pm and the only time I spent in my living room was to commute between the bedroom, bathroom, and front door. It was Work Sleep Ride and nothing else. I ate at my desk.

Either way, no matter which way you slice it, NJ is less expensive than NY. If you want the same prices you get in 45 minutes in NJ, you have to drive twice that far in NY. If you want to know WHY I chose to live and keep my horses in NJ, there is your answer. I could have lived and kept my horses anywhere, but NJ has lower prices, and those barns are closer.

Now, if you all think this poster, who has stated that budget is an issue would be BEST off paying Manhattan rents, Manhattan taxes, and driving a wee 3 hour round trip to the barn to go see a horse then that is your opinion, but as someone who has lived the dream I can say from experience there is an easier, 30-40% less expensive option. Just not having to pay Manhattan resident tax saved me $7,000.

I also highly recommend that people actually visit Jersey City, as the waterfront is a very nice place to be and there are a lot of great restaurants, not to mention a truly charming brownstone neighborhood. I had ZERO time to enjoy them, but they are there.

I strongly recommend Zephyr Farm in Mahopac, NY. Its about 45 minutes away from the city and Croton Falls train station is minutes away. The board there is one of the cheapest in the area and I'm sure there would be someone interested in a half lease. Also, Carla Sacco is a great and hard working trainer who will do anything to please her customers. She is well known and an extremely knowledgable person. Here is the website and feel free to contact me if you would like anymore info! http://www.zephyrfarminc.com/

Now, if you all think this poster, who has stated that budget is an issue would be BEST off paying Manhattan rents, Manhattan taxes, and driving a wee 3 hour round trip to the barn to go see a horse then that is your opinion, but as someone who has lived the dream I can say from experience there is an easier, 30-40% less expensive option. Just not having to pay Manhattan resident tax saved me $7,000.
    Now, the OP didn't state that budget was an issue re: living expenses—just that the "horse budget" is an issue.

I live in lower Manhattan and don't mind paying lower Manhattan rent, but I certainly can't afford to keep a horse, even if I did live in Hoboken or Jersey City. Of course, I'm also at a stage in my life where I'd rather be horseless in lower Manhattan than with horse in Jersey, but that's just me.

(P.S. It takes me 45-50 minutes to get to Redfield from the Holland Tunnel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Now, the OP didn't state that budget was an issue re: living expenses—just that the "horse budget" is an issue.

I live in lower Manhattan and don't mind paying lower Manhattan rent, but I certainly can't afford to keep a horse, even if I did live in Hoboken or Jersey City. Of course, I'm also at a stage in my life where I'd rather be horseless in lower Manhattan than with horse in Jersey, but that's just me.

(P.S. It takes me 45-50 minutes to get to Redfield from the Holland Tunnel.)
    Well from the way some people are posting you should drive an hour and a half out to Long Island instead.

Well from the way some people are posting you should drive an hour and a half out to Long Island instead.
    True, I'm with you on that—the drive to Jersey is much more pleasant and board isn't anywhere near $3k.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Housing isn't an issue because the hospital has a building they own a few blocks away and they partially subsidize the rent. It's still a lot more expensive than what I'm used to, but very reasonable for Manhattan.
    Last edited by In The Gate; May. 15, 2011 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gate View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Housing isn't an issue because the hospital has a building they own a few blocks away and they partially subsidize the rent. It's still a lot more expensive than what I'm used to, but very reasonable for Manhattan.
    That's what I figured.

Sure, Brooklyn and Jersey City *can* be convenient to Midtown, but when you're working long hours like you probably will be, your commute will matter. I work in Midtown too and my seven minute commute from the W. Village is so totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyrileyxoxo View Post
    I strongly recommend Zephyr Farm in Mahopac, NY. Its about 45 minutes away from the city and Croton Falls train station is minutes away. The board there is one of the cheapest in the area and I'm sure there would be someone interested in a half lease. Also, Carla Sacco is a great and hard working trainer who will do anything to please her customers. She is well known and an extremely knowledgable person. Here is the website and feel free to contact me if you would like anymore info! http://www.zephyrfarminc.com/
    Second this!

You consider a 3 hour round trip driving distance?

As someone who actually HAS held down a regular job (BigLaw attorney) while working in Manhattan and keeping three horses going four times a week each, I can tell you it involved getting up at 4:30am and doing three hours worth of commuting before I even got to my desk at 10:30.

It is brutal even when you set it up so that your living place is a 3 minute drive from the Pulaski Skyway and your commute is 45 minutes (not double that) to the barn. I basically never sat down between 4:30am and 10:00pm and the only time I spent in my living room was to commute between the bedroom, bathroom, and front door. It was Work Sleep Ride and nothing else. I ate at my desk.

Either way, no matter which way you slice it, NJ is less expensive than NY. If you want the same prices you get in 45 minutes in NJ, you have to drive twice that far in NY. If you want to know WHY I chose to live and keep my horses in NJ, there is your answer. I could have lived and kept my horses anywhere, but NJ has lower prices, and those barns are closer.

I also highly recommend that people actually visit Jersey City, as the waterfront is a very nice place to be and there are a lot of great restaurants, not to mention a truly charming brownstone neighborhood. I had ZERO time to enjoy them, but they are there.
    Yea, three hours round trip is driving distance. I do that every day to go to the barn.

Also Queens and Brooklyn are quite convenient to Manhattan.

I'm so glad that you actually held a job.

However, I've ACTUALLY worked in Manhattan and commuted from LI for years. Never had to get up at 4:30AM. 28 minute train ride to midtown.

As noted if budget is an issue for horse board I can find at least 10 places within an hour of mid town under $800 ( and show barns too ) LOL

I think some people just like to pay a lot more than needed for the same service.

Whatever works for the OP.Just saying that NJ is not the only option.

sent you a pm
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Carla Sacco is a WONDERFUL choice. I was speaking with her this morning at Old Salem. (One of her juniors earned good ribbons in the Older Large Junior Hunters) Her rates are reasonable, she has many VERY nice customers both juniors and amatuers, and she teaches her customers to ride well without breaking the bank.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Congratulations on your internship!!!

I used to live about an hour and a half (drive) from New York City. I payed 150 a month at a private barn. There are many places in and around Sussex County NJ that range from 300 to around 700 per month. If you want to pm me I can give you names of a whole bunch of places that could work for you

If you can find a boarding facility close to a train station it's not too bad because you don't have to deal with traffic.

I grew up in NYC and rode at what is now Old Salem (it was The Hill way back when). I took the train up to Brewster and either got picked up by a friend or caught a cab.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.