The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another worming question!

My horse was dewormed April 3 after low fecal count (it was less than 10). He has always been low or negative. Last late fall was completely negative, and also dewormed with Equimax Dec. 15th. He is 20.

He is turned out with another adult horse and 2 yearlings. Last fall the yearlings had high egg counts and were dewormed. This spring, a month after I had my horse fecal'ed and dewormed, they were tested with even higher counts - 4000 and 9000 I believe. They are getting Equimax now.

Should I be concerned and re-test my horse again? Or is it safe to say he will continue to be a low shedder and be fine?

Folks are probably going to ask how big the turnout area is first, then say "it depends on the horse" second.

I have four horses on 22 acres. They all live the same life and all eat the same base food; two are insulin resistant so get other things added to their base diet.

All four have been tested twice for worms since last November.

Last March
    one tested zero, one tested low/low and two tested for Tapes. The vet instructed me to worm only the two with Tapes so I wormed them with Equimax.

The test results from yesterday showed the one still testing at zero, two with minor strongyle issues and one with minor roundworm issues.

This time the vet sent me home with a measured amount of Panacur for the three with worms, even though their loads were low.

They will get wormed before turnout this morning. I have never in my life wormed a horse at night and left them in their stall, if they do get a minor tummy ache from worming, I want them out moving around so they can walk it off.

The message there is don't assume anything; I have learned my own lesson about arbitrarily worming without doing fecals and assuming if one horse has THIS so must the other.

My current vet is new and he worries about worm resistance because the majority of us tend to overworm and don't check fecals. I don't over worm but I wasn't getting fecals checked either<---Case-in-point my Horse #1 who's been worm-free since last November would have needlesslybeen poisoned at least once this spring; not to mention the money I would have let him p**p out for nothing.

Just keep taking fecal counts to the vet at whatever intervals he/she feels is appropriate for the living environment your horse is in

MOST likely your horse is still quite ok. Having a low count then and now, despite the others having extremely high counts (ack, why?) is a good indicator he's quite capable of dealing with most of this himself.

But it never hurts, and isn't that $$ to have another FEC done. BUT you would want to wait 12 weeks after the Equimax (assuming that's what you gave on 4/3?)

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    Last March one tested zero, one tested low/low and two tested for Tapes. The vet instructed me to worm only the two with Tapes so I wormed them with Equimax.
    In all honesty, that was a mistake. It's not common for tapes to show on FECs, and as such, it must be assumed they are there. The other 2 should have also been treated. Most places in the US should be treated at least once a year, MANY places twice a year.

The test results from yesterday
    showed the one still testing at zero, two with minor strongyle issues and one with minor roundworm issues.

This time the vet sent me home with a measured amount of Panacur for the three with worms, even though their loads were low.
    But WHY? The resistance to fenbendazole is very high and widespread. Given the time of year, do Equimax. This will kill tapeworms and nearly all the strongyles.

They will get wormed before turnout this morning. I have never in my life wormed a horse at night and left them in their stall, if they do get a minor tummy ache from worming, I want them out moving around so they can walk it off.
    And I deworm the morning of a weekday too, so if there's trouble, it's not an emergency weekend call

The message there
    is don't assume anything; I have learned my own lesson about arbitrarily worming without doing fecals and assuming if one horse has THIS so must the other.
    Very true

My current vet is new and he worries about worm resistance because the majority of us tend to overworm and don't check fecals.
    He doesn't appear to be up on the most current recommended protocols if he's wanting to deworm low-count horses with Panacur

Under-dosing has been a bigger issue in creating resistance than over-worming (ie too often). Not that it hasn't contributed, as over-worming means you're constantly exposing the stages not killed, to the chemical you need to kill them at the appropriate stage

I don't over worm but I wasn't getting fecals checked either<---Case-in-point my Horse #1 who's been worm-free since last November would have needlesslybeen poisoned at least once this spring; not to mention the money I would have let him p**p out for nothing.
    No, it would not have been a needless "poisoning", because MOST horses will never have tapeworms show up on a FEC. You NEED to assume they are there, and target at least them. You could do just a double dose of pyrantel pamoate, but doing that will prolong its resistance issues with strongyles. The Panacur the hoses were sent home with will also not kill bots.

Just keep taking fecal counts to the vet at whatever intervals he/she feels is appropriate for the living environment your horse is in
    Agreed. However, the horse should still be dewormed Spring and Fall for bots and tapes.

My horse is on a 2 acre paddock with two other horses. He and one other horse have tested negative the last three fecal counts. The third horse always has a parasite load. We de-worm 2x/year but the third horse has a more aggressive treatment program.

My vet said after 2 consecutive negatives you could go to 1x/year if we wanted, but considering how many years I either fed a daily dewormer or de-wormed every few months, I think we are ahead of the game.

My vet also told me they are seeing resistance to Panacur and they don't recommend it now.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go less than 6 months for FEC testing. My horses had low/no counts for 5+ years, tested every Spring and Fall. Last Sept at the normal end of Summer check, they both tested over 1000 Now, I would still have done Equimax after a good freeze, which would have taken care of things but that would have been another 2+ months of a fairly high load.

Panacur (fenbendazole) has had high, widespread resistance issues for MANY years now. Safeguard is the same chemical. The same resistance issue exists with pyrantel pamoate (is Strongid paste), and it's wide-spread (often under-dosed) use of it double dosed for tapeworms is partially to blame for the newer resistance of its cousin, pyrantel tartrate, the chemical in the daily dewormers.