The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone do this with their herding dogs?

...or non herding dogs, even! http://www.americantreibballassociation.org/

A friend sent me the link and I'm interested. I have 3 heelers and a GSD. The GSD and one of the heelers are new (and Wooby, the old yet new heeler dog, doesn't seem to care much for herding...she's ancient and just enjoys her retirement ) but the other two worked cattle and sheep in my old home.

Down here all I've been able to find for them to do is help me move my goats around, which is not much of a challenge since the goats follow me everywhere anyway.

Does anyone do treibball or know anyone who does? I'm reading a lot about it and it seems fun!

Never heard of that as a sport, but my little rat terrier has done that with a beach ball since she was a puppy, loves to herd it around with her nose and keep it moving.

Yeah I think it's fairly new as an actual sport...wish I'd known about it when I lived in CO as that seems to be where it is centered!

My dogs aren't super interested in balls, but we've been playing a bit with what we have/know and they're interested in "herding" them if they have a goal. The problem with the two boys (the ones who have worked livestock before) is that they get so bored with just helping with the goats and following along on trail rides. One of them actually ran off to join a cattle drive a month or so ago.

Hector the GSD is taking to it like a fish to water, so that's something. We just started this week but it's a lot of fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    Yeah I think it's fairly new as an actual sport...wish I'd known about it when I lived in CO as that seems to be where it is centered!

My dogs aren't super interested in balls, but we've been playing a bit with what we have/know and they're interested in "herding" them if they have a goal. The problem with the two boys (the ones who have worked livestock before) is that they get so bored with just helping with the goats and following along on trail rides. One of them actually ran off to join a cattle drive a month or so ago.

Hector the GSD is taking to it like a fish to water, so that's something. We just started this week but it's a lot of fun so far.
    You are aware that herding instinct comes in different expressions, not every herding dog works like a border collie?
    GSD generally are considered boundary herders, although they can learn to head or drive or any other also?
    Rotties were drovers, ACD can be and are used in different categories and so on?

I think that playing with the ball may not require a true herding instinct after all.
    I had to restrict the nosing the ball around the yard play to when I was there.
    My little dog would do it so much on her own her nose was getting raw pushing that plastic object around so much.
    I think a true herding dog would be even more apt to become obsessed with it.

Oh yeah, I definitely know about different herding styles. At one point we had border collies, ACDs, a GSD and an Aussie all on the same farm, so I saw it in person. I think you're right that treibball is something non-herding dogs can do, and actually my puppy mill GSD who has no natural herding instinct I've seen is the best so far at it. Like I've said we've only played with it a few times, though. The ACDs are older and less toy-oriented though, so it may take a little more convincing.

I'm not a herding dog expert, we mostly play around and I got all my dogs by accident (seriously, I have not chosen a single dog in my life) but I thought it might be a good activity to do and make them feel like they have a job. I was mostly just curious if anyone else here has done anything with it, though it doesn't seem like it. The association I linked says it originated in Germany, interestingly enough.

Alot of GSDs have a high prey drive. I know mine love to fetch balls and other toys and will chase them over and over again, carry them around. My current female GSD is from a herding line through her sire. I have a video from that kennel in Germany of the GSDs herding that I should dig out and watch. I also have a BC, but she is not really inclined to herding or ball chasing -- she likes pretending to be a poodle, LOL. My previous BC liked to herd, though.
    PennyG