The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ok, I Have Waited Long Enough - The Annual Tick Thread

Well, here it is again... Tick season.

No, I do not have a birthmark there

Next?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

So far this week I've seen them on my husband, my dog, and my visiting neighbors. I am positively rubbing and tripple checking everywhere and everyone. Hate hate hate ticks. Somehow, they usually don't like me much either but all it takes is one!

A week ago DH had been cleaning underbrush from a neighbor's tree line...on the big tractor...I came home to find hubby stand bare butt in the kitchen COVERED with teeny seed ticks!!! Eeeeek!!! His legs were black and they were everywhere!! Having just chopped off all my finger nails that morning I took my pocket knife and scraped the beasties off poor husband!! Bundled all of his clothes and put them right in the washer with hot water and strong soap and sent DH to the shower with a bottle of Dawn dish soap (works for fleas maybe ticks??)!! When he got out of the shower I coated him with anti itch lotion, but he was miserable for days. The itch just wouldn't quit. Now I REALLY sympathize with the poor dogs and horses that can't dig the B*****ds out!! Except for potty trips and runs down the dirt road, my dogs are kept in the house in tick season!! (Even though we treat the yard with bug/tick killer.) The Preventic collar is working on the dog, but DH refuses to wear one :-)
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I heard an interesting tidbit from the "Garden Guru" on the local radio station this a.m.

He said that the many ticks don't ever see a deer in their lifetime -- but nearly all of them spend some time with the white-footed field mouse. So -- there are these things called Tick Tubes..... biodegradable cardboard tubes stuffed with cotton balls that have been treated with permrethrins (sp?) Mice take the cotton back to their nests -- and voila! dead ticks.

I think they said they recorded something like a 99% reduction in ticks in an area where the "Tick Tubes" had been deployed.

(Also seems like it would be pretty easy to go DIY on this one!)
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

I pulled one off my leg this morning. I felt an intense itching and I've learned that usually means a tick is biting down on me. Sure enough, there he was just getting started. I'll still have a welt for two weeks and itch like crazy.

I hate ticks. I truly do.

Fire Ants are hard on ticks too. Since we got fire ants a few years ago, we have had a lot less ticks. One benefit to having ants that will eat anything that doesn't move fast enough.

I've taken a TON of Frankie and I start the lyme treatment shortly.

God I *hate* TICK SEASON!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

yuk, i just started reading about lyme and it's truly scary.
    was googling and found some refs to plum island and lyme which is insane---about a nazi scientist's plot to introduce viruses, etc.
    it's kind of hair raising to think about, and wouldn't suprise me at all if there were some truth to it all.

We have a ton this year. I have my dogs on Frontline and I'm still finding ticks on them, in the house, and on me. It's terrible. Amazingly I haven't found any on the horses yet but I soak them in fly spray before we head out on the trail and there's no vegetation in their paddocks so I guess that's why.

Fortunately we are not in an area that has Lyme, I'd be scared if we were. Might have to try that cotton ball tube method. Couldn't hurt, right?

Funny story, Hector my GSD eats bugs, including ticks, if he sees them on me or on furniture or whatever. Well, I have a big mole that sticks up right underneath my belly button which I guess he figured was a tick, because the other night I was falling asleep and my PJ shirt slipped up a little and he bit it! It hurt and bled like crazy and poor Heck just couldn't seem to figure out why I was so upset--I didn't blame him but I couldn't help but express the pain I was in! It was kind of amazing because he did just grab the mole and pull on it, I never would have figured his big mouth would be so precise...if only it really had been a tick!

They've been sucking off my horse's inner flanks poor horsie. I decided to put some of his freedom 45 "down there" to help deter the evil arachnids.
    The tick bite on my ankle still itches from over a week ago. Thankfully it is not growing in size but yeesh!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I found one over a month ago - or at least its icky secretions and the bump it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Spring Farm View Post
    I heard an interesting tidbit from the "Garden Guru" on the local radio station this a.m.

He said that the many ticks don't ever see a deer in their lifetime -- but nearly all of them spend some time with the white-footed field mouse. So -- there are these things called Tick Tubes..... biodegradable cardboard tubes stuffed with cotton balls that have been treated with permrethrins (sp?) Mice take the cotton back to their nests -- and voila! dead ticks.

I think they said they recorded something like a 99% reduction in ticks in an area where the "Tick Tubes" had been deployed.

(Also seems like it would be pretty easy to go DIY on this one!)
    MaxForce Tick System. We used it in Maryland (we all had Lyme and co-infections, dogs included). I am now tick phobic.

Keep any area along tall grass and the tree line mulched, rocked or bare dirt for a 3' swath. Keep your grass mowed and weeds cut. Ticks love long grass and the edges of wooded areas or unmowed fields.

I've also sprayed the perimeter of my property with permethrin (buy the concentrate at Southern States or Tractor Supply) every three weeks when I have a problem.

Killing off the mice really doesn't help, more just move in.

We ended up having to use both Frontline and Preventic collars in Maryland, the infestation was so horrible. Our property backed up to the state park system. Poor dogs, no more long walks in the park.

My poor little cocker ended up with long lasting neuro problems from Lyme and would have seizures with the Frontline Plus or the Preventic collar (took a lot of vets to figure that one out). She ended up restricted to our small yard.

It was such a relief to move to KY, once we got the fields mowed and the perimeter weeds hacked down and sprayed, although my vet just told me he's starting to see Lyme here too.

I've only seen one tick in the last 4 years.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So those of you who have been treated for Lyme....what do the docs prescribe? And for how long?

Doxycycline? Anything else?
    2 weeks, 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

I moved to tick heaven a couple of years ago. That first year I was appalled at the number of ticks on my horses. I should have bought stock in the fly spray company as I spent a small fortune spraying horses two and sometimes three times a day. I mentioned at the local Ag store that I had never seen ticks so thick on my horses and he recommended a sulfur block for them. There's been a definite decline in the amount of ticks once they started eating that. You might want to put one of those in the horse pasture and see if it helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    So those of you who have been treated for Lyme....what do the docs prescribe? And for how long?

Doxycycline? Anything else?
    2 weeks, 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
    FYI there really isn't consensus on proper Lyme treatment. There are two main schools of thought, if you want to do your own research, the more conservative, represented by the Infectious Disease Society of America, or IDSA, and the International Lyme and Assoicated Diseases Assn. or ILADS. Having had Lyme myself several times, and going through it with all three kids, I am firmly in the ILADS camp.

My doctor gives 400 mg/doxy/day for five weeks after symptoms have disappeared. That is much longer than the IDSA recommends.

The best book on ticks, where they live and how to avoid them, including landscaping techniques and chemical methods was published recently. It is by Dr. Richard Ostfeld of the Institute for Ecosystem Studies and is called "Lyme Disease: the Ecology of a Complex System". It is published by Oxford University Press.

There is a huge amount of hysteria on all sides -- from the doctors who insisted for years that antibiotics were completely unneccesary (based at Yale!) -- to doctors who insist that you have to be on antibiotics for life. It is very hard wading through all of that. The best possible solution is to not get bit by a tick in the first place!

By the way, there is ongoing work to develop a tick vaccine. Since ticks carry so many diseases, vaccinating against Lyme wouldn't do anything to protect you from babesia, bartonella etc, so they are trying to develop something that makes your body react quickly and strongly to tick saliva -- so you know you've been bit and can get rid of the tick.

Well, I have a bite and a rash and feel kind of crappy. The annual tick thread may be taking an ominous turn...

I have tetracycline, should I just start taking it? Saturday, no docs available....
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My poor gelding gets large-ish fluid-filled sacs from tick bites when they get him in the chest. He currently has one "boob" on his chest and slightly extending down onto his leg. He's been on an antibiotic for 3 days and it has shrunk considerably. I'm pretty sure he got the tick on our ride Sunday and Sunday night he was swollen.

I found one just digging into my leg one night and I still have an itchy bump from it. Hate them! I heard guinea hens eat them, is that true? Not sure if I could take the noise around the house, and sure isn't practical to bring a flock to the woods every time I ride.

Shedding and tick season means an addition to our grooming routine that my mare loves. I start at the top of her head and go over her whole body with light to hard scratching (feeling with my fingertips down to her skin). She likes hard scratching on her neck, mane and butt, light scratching everywhere else to include ears, belly and inner thighs. Favorite tick spots: under the jaw, throat, chest, belly, tail bone and the top spot for the most ticks found...the inner thighs. I spend a lot of time with my hand feeling around between my horses legs

I got some Equi-Spot and it has significantly reduced the ticks I've found on my horse. I also spray her tail, belly and legs with Adams flea and tick spray so maybe it is a combination of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    My poor gelding gets large-ish fluid-filled sacs from tick bites when they get him in the chest. He currently has one "boob" on his chest and slightly extending down onto his leg. He's been on an antibiotic for 3 days and it has shrunk considerably. I'm pretty sure he got the tick on our ride Sunday and Sunday night he was swollen.

I found one just digging into my leg one night and I still have an itchy bump from it. Hate them! I heard guinea hens eat them, is that true? Not sure if I could take the noise around the house, and sure isn't practical to bring a flock to the woods every time I ride.
    Mine too!

Yes, guinea hens eat ticks. The only problem is... I am not sure which I find more irritating. I hate them both!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a tick bite that is still red and itchy from 3 months ago!!!! Seriously!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

A lot of people act adversely to arachnid bites. For a really long time post-bite too. Even if the arachnid is a benign type...the itch/sting/burn/lump can last for a long time.

I've been picking ticks off of me and Mr Blue so much recently that we're beginning to look like a couple of monkeys mutual grooming.

The reason is we just took down a few trees and are clearing some brush. I feel like I should be wearing a suit made from live guinea fowl. Thankfully the dogs aren't getting any that I've seen and my horses never have them. At least there's an upside to a dirt turnout.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte