The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles and a question

So the big brown horse is at the local university's large animal hospital with possible botulism. They don't know what's wrong with him for sure, but trainer found him on Wednesday night dunking his head in his water bucket trying to drink but unable to swallow. He looks awful, he can only stand for about 20 minutes before his legs shake so hard he gets exhausted and lays down, he has fluid in his lung from dunking his head. They're treating him for EPM just in case, but the symptoms are looking more and more like botulism. The vets have never seen it before and it's rare down here, but somehow it looks like he has it. We got some of the antitoxin in him, but he's not out of the woods and won't be for a while. I came home from college for the summer to this news and have seen him both days. The vets say that I seem to perk him up a bit, but he needs some serious jingles.

Now for the question. Trainer hasn't seen him since she dropped him off. The vet calls her to keep her updated, and I know she's thinking about him, but is it unreasonable for me to want her to be there with me? When her client's horse is in the hospital, I would have thought that she would be with him instead. Maybe I'm being an unreasonable worried owner, but I canceled all my plans for him, I kind of expected a visit from her...
    Last edited by Perfect10; May. 13, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Default Jingles for your horse ~

Jingles for your horse ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle ~ AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Jingles for you and your boy! I hope he's feeling better really soon.

I'm sorry to hear about the botulism. We lost one of our horses to that earlier this year.

Regarding visiting animals in hospitals. I don't do it. I see it like this; the next time my animal sees me it's because he's going home. Every time I visit and leave I'm leaving him and he is traumatized. The exception is if I'm there to ease his passing.

JMO
    Paula

Jingles to your horse.

As far as your trainer being with your horse while he is in the hospital, I'm not really sure what she can do for him. The hospital staff will care for him as well as they can and your trainer cannot do much if anything for him.

On the other hand, if you would like your trainer there to lend you some moral support than you may need to ask her. Personally, I would ask a friend who may have more time on her hands.
    friend of bar*ka

Jingles for you horse, botulism is no walk in the park, even with quick administration of the antitoxin.

I wouldn't take your trainer not visiting personally. I agree with what Addison said:

On the other hand, if you would like your trainer there to lend you some moral support than you may need to ask her. Personally, I would ask a friend who may have more time on her hands.
    Or you could look at it purely from a biosecurity standpoint- every time she steps into the hospital she risks dropping off any germs she might have brought from her farm, and picking up some potentially worse ones to bring home with her. I never go from in hospital straight to my barn without at least changing clothes/shoes (or, if I was in a high risk area, going home and showering). For a busy trainer that's a lot to ask, but if you really want the moral support, by all means talk to her about it.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Oh my~!! Jingling and crossing all appendages for you and your horse~!!

No, I would not expect the trainer, BO or anyone else to come "visit" my horse. Even though to us they are like our family, they are not always family to those who aren't their owners.

sending lots of jingles!
    And no I would not expect my trainer to "visit" my horse either. We, too, are like family but she has her business to run, students to teach and her own family to tend to. I know I can count on her for a shoulder to cry on and for advice when needed.
    I am sure you are scared and unsure of what is going on, so maybe you and your trainer can get together somewhere and just "chat" for some moral support.
    I do hope all will be well with your horse!