I've spoken with my farrier about this and can't get to the vet until Sunday (via an emergency call).
I've had my horse since November; he was "opossum footed" when I got him off the race track, but other than that his foot was and has been healthy; as for past problems, anything before that, I'm not aware of. He's been on Farrier's Formula since I got him.
Two weeks ago, he came up lame with what I assumed was an abscess (heat on the coronet, pointing the toe, digital pulse). The hoof looked fine. Since it was storming, I put him up in a stall. The next morning I came out and he had two horizontal cracks, one a little over half-way up the hoof and one about an inch below that.
Four days after the cracks, my farrier came to look at him and treated him with mastitis medication in a gel form (I guess it's okay, he's used it for abscesses before). Over time, the cracks have connected, so now it's a half-moon shape.
This morning, he went tearing around the field at a full gallop bucking and jumping. I went out to check on him and noticed a thin line of blood on the bottom and the top of the cracked area (it wasn't gushing or trailing). I rinsed his foot off; there was no more blood coming out, no heat, and no digital pulse.
I called my farrier earlier and he said it sounds like the hoof wall may have separated. There's no visible seperation on the bottom of the foot, unless there's something which I can't see under the shoe. He says I can wait to call the vet.
So, what do you think? Does it sound like the hoof wall has seperated, and should I make an emergency vet run? Even tonight if I have to?
If you think I can wait, what can I do for him in the meantime? Epsome soak? Wrap it? Stick him in a stall (my stalls don't stay very dry and he paces something fierce)?
ps: Awesome first post, right? I sound really incompetent, but I feel it, too, right now.