The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smartpak...Love you, but really?

Got this email today...

We’re proud to be a trusted partner in the care of your horse, and part of earning that trust is admitting when we make mistakes. We recently sent you an email about Omega Horsehine® losing potency when stored in buckets or bags, but it turns out that is not actually the case for this product, and we sincerely regret the error.

While our study did find that a supplement containing Omega 3 fatty acids along with vitamins and minerals lost up to 20% of the potency of the Omega 3s when stored in a bucket, those results don’t apply to Omega Horseshine. In fact, Omega Fields, manufacturers of Omega Horseshine, have developed a proprietary flax-stabilizing technology that produces a stable, ground, fortified flax seed composition. As a result, the nutrients are locked in and guaranteed stable for at least 12 months, with no signs of rancidity or loss of nutritional value.

While SmartPaks are the only way to know your horse is getting the exact right dose every time, you can rest assured that whether it’s served in buckets or in SmartPaks, your horse’s Omega Horseshine will always be fresh and potent.

And here I thought my handy measuring cup was accurate. Go figure.

SmartPak is such a PIMA, but I gotta say I love not having thirty different one ounce scoops laying around...
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I'd guess the origin of this notice is the snappish letter SmartPak received from Omega Field's legal department.... and then SmartPak decided to add on a "reason" why you can't just measure it out yourself..........

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I'd guess the origin of this notice is the snappish letter SmartPak received from Omega Field's legal department.... and then SmartPak decided to add on a "reason" why you can't just measure it out yourself..........

Yep...I'm able to use my measuring cup just fine with the bag of Omega Horseshine that I buy from Tractor Supply.

These types of "warnings" are what turn me off to companies. Good for OmegaFields for calling them on it.

Then again, I got a notice about the electrolytes I get in Gid's SP.... seems the dose needed to be smaller, and (by a miniscule amount), and they not only told me, but lowered the price!

L

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Got this email today...

While our study did find that a supplement containing Omega 3 fatty acids along with vitamins and minerals lost up to 20% of the potency of the Omega 3s when stored in a bucket,

And here I thought my handy measuring cup was accurate. Go figure.
    Two very important pieces of information are missing here. How long was it stored and under what conditions? Without that, the statement is meaningless.

I like Smartpak just fine but just like any other company they're in it for the money. I take these sort of advertising statements with a grain of salt. Or a big overpriced block of Himalayan salt depending on how overblown the claims are.

SmartPaks are the only way to know your horse is getting the exact right dose every time
    Because, you poor simpleminded fool of a horse owner, you can't POSSIBLY scoop things on your own, much less handle the 45 different supplements your horse MUST HAVE (lest he die a horrible death) without our help.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Because, you poor simpleminded fool of a horse owner, you can't POSSIBLY scoop things on your own, much less handle the 45 different supplements your horse MUST HAVE (lest he die a horrible death) without our help.
    Deltawave, for people like me who tend to think "if a scoop is good, then a heaping scoop is better" which then progresses to "if a heaping scoop is good, two scoops is even better" SmartPaks are a much simpler and ultimately cheaper way to make sure the amount fed is correct. Whether the supplement actually works or not is another matter altogether .

1 members found this post helpful.

For those of us that board our horses, the SmartPak gives peace of mind that, provided the person feeds the smartpak, they are getting everything we want them to have. I would not feel right expecting someone to individually scoop multiple scoops of supplements, getting each one accurate every time, for every horse every day. I like to think of it as setting them up to succeed....

Smartpaks may be easier for some to give...but to make a blanket statement that they are the ONLY way to ensure the correct amount is total BS and insulting. I am capable of measuring my own horse feed and my own flax. Even as a music major (math is not my strong suit), I can manage without those little plastic containers that come in the mail.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Marketing 101 people! Why on earth would they not sell their product every time they communicate? My reaction? Meh! Whatever. I've used both SP's and scooped my own. I board in a small setting, but when your barn help is slightly incompetent, or doesn't read English or are teens with their own agenda...a SP is the way to go when you are only there 3 days a week.

I'm just glad they issued that statement. I find SP to be the best in the business right now.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Count me as a member of the SmartPak Fan Club! They sure come in handy if someone non-horsey has to step in and feed my horse.

I would rather have a company issue a false warning then retract it rather than not inform me of something that could potentially have an adverse effect on the health of my horse.

As a long time user of Omega Horseshine, I know it's made to be stable, which is why I appreciate it.

Kudos to SmartPak for retracting an earlier statement no matter what the reason.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I think SP is pretty awesome. They've saved me countless hours of heartache and frustration measuring out my own little baggies. My horses aren't always in the "right" situations with lush fields, nutritious hay and the absolutely nutritionally correct start to life. I like being able to feed supps, and even if Billy Bob Neighbor feeds for me one afternoon, he still just takes the little strip, opens it, and puts it in. You KNOW how easily non horse people get confused by anything that says horse on it or looks complicated, and unless you NEVER get sick, take a vacation, or board your horse, SP is pretty technically right. I can always go count SP's and make sure everything is going right if I think there is a problem. Oh, and autoship? Saves my life.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Imagine 25 or 30 horses on supplements, that are different. The buckets living in the feed room would take up most of the space. There would be no room for feed.

The drawers with the right amount in each little well sealed is much tidier, and ultimately less wasteful, whoever is feeding can just grab the SmartPak for each horse and get the right amount to the right horse and it is still fresh.

Maybe their marketing is a bit aggressive but I have had very good luck with SmartPak.

For boarding a horse out or traveling, I think their system is awesome. I don't use many supplements - think it's gone a bit mad - but at home, I measure myself.

Where I actually love them the most is the quality of their staff. Most recently, I have an old man who needed a GOOD proboitic - called them, had very enlightening conversation and got what I needed. Many tales like that.

This thread makes me laugh. A company can false advertise and basically say that people are morans and can't measure their own feed/supplements and folks are ok with that.

I've never gotten into the "What supplement should I buy" mindset. Good feed, flax..that's it.

It's fine that people enjoy their product....but frankly, I think it's over the top to say "Hey, you need to pay us to measure your feed, you are too stupid to do it yourself." Sure, I get that some people board (so do I), but many of us are capable of mixing up our own feeds/supplements without the help of a plastic container. And how do you REALLY know that the plastic containers have been measured correctly and every scoop is exactly the same? Obviously SOME human had to measure out the supplement at some point.

I just take my little scoop, meaure out my feed and my flax and put it in a zip lock bag...barn manager feeds it...no different than the little expensive plastic containers.

And yes, I do buy things from smartpak (not the "smartpaks", but other things such as fly spray, etc.)...I have always liked the company, but this type of "marketing 101" turns me off...doesn't make me want to run out and buy smartpaks.

I give them an A+ just for admitting that they made a mistake. Mistakes sometimes happen but not everybody owes up to them.

As far as packaging goes. I scoop my own at home for 3 of our horses but I am very glad for the pre-measured containers when I step in at my daughters boarding barn.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I give them an A+ just for admitting that they made a mistake. Mistakes sometimes happen but not everybody owes up to them.

As far as packaging goes. I scoop my own at home for 3 of our horses but I am very glad for the pre-measured containers when I step in at my daughters boarding barn.
    I'm guessing Omega Fields TOLD them to admit that they made a mistake.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, bless your heart, Dalpal!

I think you read WAY too much into that email that SP sent out. I don't think they believe I'm stupid. I buy buckets of supplements from them, and not one single customer service person has ever made me feel stupid or incompetent. They've never even tried to make me switch to SP's with a soft or hard sell.

It is nice that you only feed one supplement to your horse. Others might have a different need. Good to know a company of their caliber is out there to assist me if I need advice or a wide array of product.

Give it a rest.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I'm guessing Omega Fields TOLD them to admit that they made a mistake.
    Omega Fields may have pointed out that SmatPak made an error. That certainly doesn't mean there was any intention to mislead people. They notified people of the error. What's the big deal? Why try trash a company because they made effort to fix a problem? "Guessing" that Omega Fields "TOLD" them to admit it. Purely "Guessing"? They sent out information correcting the statement. If you don't want to use SmartPak .... don't.

Just to point out that there are people out there that don't follow directions. The "more must be better" mentality. For those people SmartPak pre-measurements are perfect. Never once has SmartPak made me feel that I was incapable of measuring my own suppliments. It's too bad that a general advertising statement was taken so personally.