The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it totally wrong to use a black or white contour pad for LL dressage?

I only plan to do Intro type stuff at unrec, and love my Engel sheepskin fitted pad, and horsey loves it, too! Would I look totally ridiculous though in something other than a square type pad?

I own a black one, but was thinking about gettin a white as I figured that would look more "appropraite" Read the black dressage pad thread though, so thinking color doesn't matter!

Totally fine to use whatever your horse loves!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fine for LL, local stuff.

It's a saddle pad. It's fine. ;-)

Personally, I hate the big square dressage pads (I like the dressage pads from Dressage Extensions, there is less BULK under your leg):

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=2515

for showing, though I also have a white contoured dressage pad (with Mattes half pad built in) for showing, and at home I use a nice, used, stained contoured dressage pad (with a Mattes half pad under it.)

I have short legs and don't need any more material between myself and the horse, or between my whip and the "area behind my leg", in case the horse needs a reminder to stay in front of it.

The dressage judge couldn't possibly care less, so whatever suits you and your horse (and floats your boat.)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Totally fine. My friend, who owns a very short-backed 15.2hh horse, has won the dressage phase at recognized shows wearing this fitted contour pad and an Engel sheepskin half pad over it:
    http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=1063

I am cheap and haven't invested in a fitted dressage ped, so at unrecognized shows I use JUST the half pad. Nobody seems to care. I do break out a square pad for recognized shows, albeit one that's got a very short spine length so my 15.3hh horse doesn't swim in it.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Yup, definitely ok! We did it at a recognized event last year looking like we were going to a hunter show. It wasn't a problem http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/48...500x500Q85.jpg

Buzz was very short backed and most square dressage pads looked huge on him. He was competed by a professional at recognized events in a contoured pad in black. Whatever works best for the horse
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I wish more people would use contoured pads on short backed horses and on small horses. A standard-size pad often looks like a quarter sheet on a little horse!

Yup, fine and quite common over here. You can match the colour of the pad to your horse or saddle so that it blends in if you're worried about it being distracting.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    Fine for LL, local stuff.
    Perfectly fine for anywhere, at any level.

Love contour pads, particularly on smaller horses. The big pads just swallow them up and look terrible IMO.
    Click here before you buy.