The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default butt scooting

I killed a thread on anal glands with this question: does my dog scoot his butt because he needs his anal glands expressed? He does it a lot, spins like a fat little top.

Is this a routine grooming chore that the vet tech can do when I take him in to get his nails clipped?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Worms would be what I would check into first.

Default probably

My two previous dogs NEVER had to have this done. However, the young un, Toffee, needs it done often, like maybe more than once a month. She is already fearful of the vet because they do this whenever we go in. I would like to be able to convince her the vet only helps but I fear it won't happen. The vet said some dogs need it done all the time and some don't. So good luck with that.
    Another killer of threads

I worked for a vet and if you'd rather not pay $15 you can do it yourself. Preferably while bathing the dog. It is very simple albeit stinky. Some dogs need the expression help monthly and some never. If they get too "full" they can cuse vomiting, infection and impaction.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

look at the Anal glands in Corgi thread. I got some excellent advice about adding bran to the food.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Allergies, anal glands or worms.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

try changing the diet, preferably to raw. The kind of poop "regular" high grain high fiber dog food produces is much softer than the hard "bone" poops raw-fed dogs make, and the hard poops naturally express the anal glands so you don't get butt-scooting or have to deal with expressing them manually. In most dogs. Some dogs have health problems that diet won't change.
    Butt-scooting isn't normal and should trigger a vet visit.

I could definitely try the bran, although he's on a diet right now. He needs to lose a few more pounds (we got him as a 12 pound chihuahua), and I don't want to add more calories until he's closer to 8 pounds. I'll go check that other thread again. I think it said small amounts of bran would do the trick.

I get up close and personal with his poop all the time, so I don't think it's worms.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Pumpkin is another option.

Both pumpkin and bran are high in fiber (which is why they work to "bulk up the stool" and help w/ anal gland issues) and are therefore good for weight loss.

But, this is more of a long term maintenance/prevention solution. If he is scooting right now, you should probably get him into the vet for them to express and/or show you how.

I think Goforagallop is right. I'd check for worms first but anal glands leaps to my mind too.

I have a JRT who's poops, etc. are fine but needs his glands done ever 6 weeks or so. Not a big deal, not messy or painful, easy - 5 seconds and a paper towel!

Check for worms, then anal glands, then diet change. My son's dog needed his anal glands expressed at least once a month until he changed his diet to Blue buffalo...which coincidentally fixed some of his allergy type skin problems.

BTW...the jokes on the vet who charges $15 for anal glands. I'd pay twice that amount and consider it a bargain
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."