The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UPDATE - Beautiful TB Gelding needs a light riding home - Columbus OH

I'm looking for a companion home for my 6 year old TB gelding, Ricky. I bought him a year ago to be my 3' hunter, but that's not in the cards. He was doing 2'3"-2'6" courses and starting flying changes prior to coming up lame.

Ricky has cervical arthritis that is preventing him from being ridden. He is pasture sound with no maintenance but is lame under saddle. He does work out of the lameness but prefers to carry his head very low to stay comfortable. I have had several consults and lameness exams with excellent vets - x-rays from December 2010 are available to whomever may have room for him. He is a candidate for injections which may make him sound enough to ride, however, at this point I can't guarantee suitability as a riding horse. He is an easy keeper and is currently barefoot behind; I will be pulling his shoes by the end of the month if he's still with me.

Ricky came from New Vocations, so I've enlisted their help in placing him in a companion home. He is still with me at a boarding facility though, so any questions can be directed at me. Here is the link to his New Vocations page: http://www.horseadoption.com/and-a-gentleman-2/
    Last edited by Rickys Rider; Jun. 12, 2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Updated status

Default UPDATE

After discussion with my vet, we gave Ricky an IM Cortisone shot to see if it made him more comfortable. It worked! I had pulled his front shoes prior to the injection, so he's a little footsore on uneven ground, but Ricky is now moving sound under saddle. He is starting back to work - walk, trot, canter - and seems to feel great. I feel confident saying that with maintenance he should be sound for trails, pleasure riding, low-level dressage, or even light jumping. He is a pretty nice mover and very flashy looking. He will require either ongoing Im injections (as needed), supplements, or joint injections, however, he is a very fancy horse that is FREE. Please PM me with questions or more info. Thank you!

bump for a lovely gelding . . .