The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles needed

My sister took a bad fall from her young horse today. She broke her collarbone and 3 ribs. The drs told her it would be at least 10 days before she would feel human again.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Oh boy, my DH did the same last year, except his fall was from a bicycle. He was in agony for a couple of weeks. The ribs were worse than the collarbone, I do remember that. The clavicle had what's called a "butterfly fracture". The dr's office kept trying to schedule him for surgery to plate it, but we had such a high deductible on our insurance at the time that we passed.

*I should add - it was made worse by the fact that the poor man came down with some kind of wicked respiratory bug at the same time; he nearly passed out every time he had to cough.*

My sympathy and jingles for your sister! And don't tell her anything funny - laughing hurts something fierce.
    Last edited by Mara; May. 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Having experienced a broken collarbone, it does hurt and it will take time. Then I read Mara saying the ribs are worse than a collarbone, and I really feel badly for your sister -- that has to be terrible pain! Many jingles for a quick recovery.

Ow. I galloped into a tree once, 5 ribs broken. Yowza.
    The worst part of ribs, you have nothing people can see, no sympathy and people don't know not to bang into you.
    Jingles for her fast recovery.

Lots of jingles for your sister. Like horsepoor, I remember how much my broken collar bone hurt, so I can't imagine how bad the ribs must feel if they are worse. And dealing with both at the same time - UGH.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Even though it hurts like &8(!, it's really important to breathe deeply. Broken ribs can lead to pneumonia because it hurts so much to breathe. I had three broken ribs and a punctured lung from getting kicked in the chest, so I do understand just how painful it is.

Our lungs need to be expanded frequently to keep the tiny alveoli from sticking together, and also to keep crud from sinking to the bottom lobes of the lungs, leading to pneumonia. So if the patient can stand to take at least 10 deep breaths an hour, it might help avoid some icky consequences. 2-5 breaths with each TV commercial break would be good.

My sympathies to the invalid and to those who are taking care of him. Good luck!

SO painful, SO sorry. Jingles

OUCH! I've had both injuries, although thank the lord not at the same time. I hope your sister has some good pain meds so she can get some good, quality rest!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Many jingles, it sounds painful!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Even though it hurts like &8(!, it's really important to breathe deeply. Broken ribs can lead to pneumonia because it hurts so much to breathe. I had three broken ribs and a punctured lung from getting kicked in the chest, so I do understand just how painful it is.

Our lungs need to be expanded frequently to keep the tiny alveoli from sticking together, and also to keep crud from sinking to the bottom lobes of the lungs, leading to pneumonia. So if the patient can stand to take at least 10 deep breaths an hour, it might help avoid some icky consequences. 2-5 breaths with each TV commercial break would be good.

My sympathies to the invalid and to those who are taking care of him. Good luck!
    I remember my poor husband desperately trying not to cough. I'd hear funny noises late at night and go investigate, and would find him clinging white-knuckled to the kitchen counter and turning blue as he stifled the coughs. Of course he probably caught whatever it was he got partly as a result of NOT breathing deeply enough.

The good news is that once he got over that, he healed up pretty fast - and he was 53 at the time.

Default JINGLES FOR YOUR SISTER ~

Jingles for your sister ```

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

ouch, hope she feels better soon

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Jingles from me too, as a person suffering from 2 broken ribs right now. Also took a fall from my youngster almost three weeks ago.

I actually got back on but it wasn't my ribs that made me get off, it was something near my scapula in my back. I'm not convinced it's 'nothing' and am trying to get an MRI.

Worst episode I had with the ribs was 7 days after the fall while I was getting into bed (getting in and out of bed is very tricky. And yes, it was about three days after that that I started to feel normal.

At three wks in, I can only just now use my left arm to do my hair and can swing it somewhat naturally by my side. Sleeping is getting better but I still have to keep a small pillow clamped under my arm between it and my ribs if I want to lie on my right side (broken ribs are on the left).

I've since bought the Hit-Air inflatable vest.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Jingles!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues