The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cute bunny!! Love those huge ears. Maybe Im behind the times, but I didnt realize that rabbits could be litterbox trained. So, if he has to go, he hops off the bed and goes over to the litterbox?

It sounds like you've got lots for him to do. What about getting a small dog toy that you can hide food in and he has to move it around/work to get it out. Like these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...050&lmdn=Brand

http://www.trianglepetsupply.com/dog...le-feeder-ball

Thanks for this unexpected thread! We have a leftover bunny from 4H earlier this spring, a friendly thing, and I had no idea it might be a happy inside pet. Will let daughter give it a try, maybe starting in her room and venturing out from there.

The things you learn on COTH....!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    cute bunny!! Love those huge ears. Maybe Im behind the times, but I didnt realize that rabbits could be litterbox trained. So, if he has to go, he hops off the bed and goes over to the litterbox?

It sounds like you've got lots for him to do. What about getting a small dog toy that you can hide food in and he has to move it around/work to get it out. Like these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...050&lmdn=Brand

http://www.trianglepetsupply.com/dog...le-feeder-ball
    Yup, he will randomly disappear while playing and hop back a few moments later, having gone to use his litterbox. He does occasionally leave behind a few pellets for whatever reason (he is not yet fixed because of his eye removal at 7 mos...didn't want to put too much stress on his system at once, so it's on the schedule for this summer), probably related to territory. He only ever does it right after I've given everything a good cleaning. It's annoying, but to lean over an pick up a few bunny poops with a tissue is really no biggie. Never any pee anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Yonder View Post
    Thanks for this unexpected thread! We have a leftover bunny from 4H earlier this spring, a friendly thing, and I had no idea it might be a happy inside pet. Will let daughter give it a try, maybe starting in her room and venturing out from there.

The things you learn on COTH....!
    Yup! What works best to introduce them to litter box training is to keep it in a small area (dog crate, etc) with a small litter box full of pellets. Bunny should just naturally use it, but you may have to sweep up some random poops in the cage and put them into the litter box to "guide" them. But they catch on within a day or so and then you're golden!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Oreo loves Ritz crackers, too! I wonder what tastes good to them? Maybe they like all the salt?
    Personally, I've found that my bunny loves ANYTHING crunchy, although he goes particularly nuts for Frosted Mini Wheats. He will sit up and beg for them, and then stay up on his hind legs and go "Crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch!" looking very pleased with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by 3020HV View Post

I like everyone's suggestions too, particularly the ideas for toys. Fifa likes the cat toys with a bell in them - why she has to play with it at 2:30 am is unclear to me! And blankets, of course..
    I have to admit, I am a mean mom and round up any toy that makes too much noise before bed and put them someplace high. Otherwise my bunny and my cat will go nuts with them all night long, stalking each other and making a racket.

I am completely smitten with your bunny.

No advice at all, never had a bunny, but he is adorable!

My bun will wait until I put him in his house to use the litterbox - he's good about not peeing in the house. But he does leave droppings around sometimes. I usually find them the next time i vacuum and the vacuum takes care of them. :-)