The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keeping the House Bunny Entertained...

...how do you all do it???

I feel as if my guy is bored. He has his own room to run around in (small office size, 12x12 or so) which contains his large, multi-level cage. The top level puts him on level with the air conditioner, which he spends a lot of time sitting in front of in the summer. I also leave a window open so that he can sit on the sill and look out. (Storm glass down in the summer with the AC on, so he gets to look without the energy wastage!)

He's got a lot of toys which he doesn't seem to play with (just organizes), and a couple boxes that he does enjoy chewing on. For five or six hours a day he is allowed out into a few other rooms, and interacts with my cat. Enjoys laying next to me while I'm playing on the computer in bed. (He doesn't get to be in all the rooms all the time because he moves my stuff around! )

He seems pretty content, I guess, but I'm looking for ideas to spice up his life. Do they make rabbit Likits?

I can't get him a friend, at this point in time. I have heard bonding bunnies is pretty difficult, and one bossy bunny is all I need in my life at this point!

What do you do for your buns?

What kind of toys does he have?

A friend had a bunny for a long time, he wasn't confined to a single room ever though, he always had run of the house, so maybe your bunny is just lonely? I dont know much about the social needs of rabbits.

My friend gave her bunny random things to play with like plastic soda bottle, hard rubber balls, things that made noise.

Try giving him a phone book, most bunnies like those. Large boxes stuffed with hay, safe fabric scraps, yummies, and newspaper are also good. You can make a maze out of those big plastic soda bottles (ends cut off), mailing tubes (the really big ones) and those long refrigerator boxes for soda cans. Just make plebty of exits so he doesn't get stuck anywhere. Flat cat scratching pads and carpet samples are fun for the bun that likes to dig.

If he gets hot, you can freeze waterbottles and put a towel over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.ChickenBritches View Post
    What kind of toys does he have?

A friend had a bunny for a long time, he wasn't confined to a single room ever though, he always had run of the house, so maybe your bunny is just lonely? I dont know much about the social needs of rabbits.

My friend gave her bunny random things to play with like plastic soda bottle, hard rubber balls, things that made noise.
    I think he may just be lonely, which is why I try to let him out into the rest of the house as much as possible...I just can't leave him alone for too long or my room looks like it's been ransacked! I leave clothes on the floor which frustrates him to no end...he drags them all into a neat pile and then sits on them.

He does actually like glass bottles...I have a mix of hardwood and carpet and he likes to roll them around on the hardwood. I tossed his old one out in a cleaning spree a little while ago, I will have to grab another for him.

As for toys, he has lots of "chewables"...little shapes made out of applewood (think children's building blocks), lots of wicker rings and mats, he LOVES the little cat balls with jingles in them. Maybe I just need to stroll down the toy aisles at the pet stores more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Try giving him a phone book, most bunnies like those. Large boxes stuffed with hay, safe fabric scraps, yummies, and newspaper are also good. You can make a maze out of those big plastic soda bottles (ends cut off), mailing tubes (the really big ones) and those long refrigerator boxes for soda cans. Just make plebty of exits so he doesn't get stuck anywhere. Flat cat scratching pads and carpet samples are fun for the bun that likes to dig.

If he gets hot, you can freeze waterbottles and put a towel over it.
    He is actually a rather big bunny (Checkered/Flemish cross) and weighs in at around 10lbs right now at a year old...he wouldn't fit in bottles or mailing tubes. I have made him a "fort" out of different sizes of boxes which he does have fun running around in and altering.

He does love his towels/small blankies that I give him, makes himself little nests. Your yummies suggestion makes me wonder if I could get one of those treat balls for him, and get it to work with his grain. He gets just a very small portion for the vitamins, and it goes quick when it's just in a bowl, so I usually sprinkle it on the floor so he has to "graze" for it. But maybe if I can get the treat ball to work that will keep him busy.

Thanks guys! I have a little list developing of things I need to check into for him.

Uhhh... My experience with bunnies is limited to eating my pansies or rather sedentary creatures that live in huts.

Would you post some pics of this bunny that will drag around your clothing and plays with toys? I need to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    Uhhh... My experience with bunnies is limited to eating my pansies or rather sedentary creatures that live in huts.

Would you post some pics of this bunny that will drag around your clothing and plays with toys? I need to see this.
    Of course!
    Here he is, trying to burrow through my pillows: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=784270214

With my cat, Lenore, who hates all the other cats but tolerates the bunny...sometimes I think she may actually like him!: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=784270214

My view, most of the time: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=784270214

He's my first bunny and really, really great! He was basically litter boxed trained in a day at eight weeks old, despite having lived in a barn for the first part of his life. (The lady I got him from mostly bred them for meat. She also thought I was crazy. ) He was the most "squee!!!" inducing thing as a tiny baby rabbit running around!

In terms of chewing, he has been superb. He has plenty of his own toys to chew on, and enjoys that. The ONE time he has chewed something he wasn't supposed to was my laptop cord. Snipped it through in one chomp (skinny Mac cord, but still!) and he absolutely knew that he shouldn't be doing it, but he was annoyed with me for writing a paper and felt like being spiteful. He is LOADED with personality, he has his quirks and likes and dislikes same as any other animal.

Because he was raised as a house bunny, he is not skittish, at all. He will boss any of my cats around (helps that he's almost as big as them) and he will literally sit on the vacuum cleaner while it's running. Not a fear in the world! He knows his name, comes running to the kissy sound from wherever he is, and knows (but doesn't always respond to ) the "Giiiittt!" knock-it-off! sound.

My greatest challenge has been finding a vet to treat him. House rabbits are every day pets in the UK, but here they're still considered "exotics". Thankfully I live in a populated area of animal lovers with a million different vets to choose from, and found a great vet ten minutes away who's rabbit knowledgable (many of the drugs that dogs and cats use are poisonous to rabbits...like they can't have any of the -illin drugs...so it's important to have a vet who knows what they're doing) with reasonable prices. He needed to have an eye removed at 8mo because of a disgusting ulcer, and it was looking like I was going to be driving him to Tufts before I begged my local veterinary opthamologist(sp?) at the specialty hospital to give it a go with a rabbit-savvy tech on hand.

He's great! I could never keep him permanently in a cage or hutch though (he's only locked into his when he's being particularly annoying or there's company coming over), just way too much personality.

This is so cute. I knew people kept bunnies as pets but had no idea the extent until I read this thread. Greats pics!

My bun got really depressed when he wasn't let out into the living room where we spend most of our time. We had him upstairs... he pretty much had his rule of the room, but he was really lonely. We moved him downstairs into a smaller space, but let him out whenever we were home, or were going to be home intermittently (The bunny would not go back to his cage and would become "deaf" if he hadn't been out for at least an hour) and just bunny proofed the living room. He was SO much happier.

I also got him mazes from here (this is by far my favorite site!)http://www.binkybunny.com/STORE/tabid/163/Default.aspx

Now after reading the rest of your posts and looking at your pic (So Cute!) the pre made bunny mazes might not fit your bunny, but there are tons of toys there!

I am also jealous that your bun will go on hardwoods. We just moved to a place that is pretty much all hardwoods and we had to put down connecting area rugs for him because it is like he is walking on ice whenever he tries to get on the hardwood floors.

I have also been toying with the idea of getting him a buddy... but I am afraid of what to do if they don't get along... as we don't really have room to have two separate bunny habitats!

Just wanted to ad a pic of my bun with his bff... Senor Rumba!
    Bunny and the Rumba
    Last edited by bananna; May. 13, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: adding pic

Quote Originally Posted by bananna View Post
    Just wanted to ad a pic of my bun with his bff... Senor Rumba!
    Bunny and the Rumba
    Hehe, so cute! I love floppy buns!

He's not afraid of the hardwood, but he does wipe out occasionally when he tries to get going too quickly! The carpets are where he does all of his binkies.

I would move him to a more "active" area but he's actually already in it. "His" room is the office connected to my bedroom...and I do all my TV/paper work/COTH browsing in bed on the laptop, so whenever I am in the room he's in the room too. The only other "busy" place is the kitchen, but that is the land of the dogs and the bunny is not allowed there.

Bananna- there are ways to 'encourage' bunnies to bond. My sister's two were really aggressive atfirst, stress situations like car rides or sitting in a box on the dryer help to bond them. After 3 months of tring to bond them, now the two are inseperable.

I know there are ways to encourage them, but I also know there are bunnies that just wont bond... or do bond and then suddenly change their minds and fight. my bun has been independent for so long... and we are still living in an apartment and haven't moved to our own house yet where we could find a better solution if they had problems, so I don't think the risk of them not getting along is worth it right now.

Back to the OP... sorry I didn't give much help in my post... I just like to talk house bunny!

Here's a Rabbit Safety Fact: Never, ever, ever use Frontline on a rabbit. It will kill them. Revolution is the only safe treatment for rabbit ear mites. I ignorantly used Frontline on my previous bun for ear mites, and I put her in a coma for three days. I called the vet who was very unhappy with me and told me there is no treatment for Frontline poisoning. Fortunately Eve bun recovered, but it was a horrible experience.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Holy bananas I had no idea bunnies could be such wonderful pets! But doesn't he have accidents all over? Or can they be little box trained??

First off, I have not read all the responses.

Second of all I have a had a few house bunnies..

The happiest one was raised with cats. He thought he was a cat. He ate cat food, I have the pics to prove it(I will provide one(its an old pic and will have take a pic of it(with a real cam, on a smartphone)))

Seriously tho, rabbits are odd, will make friends with who they want(whether YOU like it or not) and will be pleased how they like.

Contrary critters.

I***** LOVE ****** bunnies, don't get me wrong, but totally CONTRARY.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by fivesocks View Post
    Holy bananas I had no idea bunnies could be such wonderful pets! But doesn't he have accidents all over? Or can they be little box trained??
    He was litter boxed trained from the very first day! Much better than any of the kittens I've fostered/owned. Most bunnies are, in general, very neat creatures. Even in the wild, they will pick a specific spot outside of the burrow and only go there. They're super!

He has a little kitty box that I fill with the same wood pellets that I use in the horse stalls. He eats their hay too, but I don't tell them!

I think they're born litter trained! And yes, stove wood pellets are awesome for the litter box. They are such clean animals that I am afraid of using kitty litter - they would lick it off their feet and get sick, or something. I adopted Evie from the House Rabbit Society and they actually send me home with a 40-lb bag of "Stove Chow."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have an enormous English Lop that I found in front of my office. Yes, I found him out there, sitting in the grass. The rule was if he got along with my other critters, he could stay. Otherwise I would find him a loving home.

Needless to say, he fit right in. He loves my shelties (a little too much LOL). I had one of those free-standing dog kennels - you know, the panels that you hook together ? no top or bottom, but very tall. I made a platform for it and covered in linoleum for easy clean up. It's 8x8 and I put old bathroom rugs down for him.

I feed him lots of fresh veggies, and I get the copy paper box lids that I fill with fluffed hay and 'goodies' for him - he loves ritz crackers ! But I sorta bury them in the hay so he has to dig around for his treats. He loves big paper shopping bags. I've never tried a phone book, he's probably love those too.

He also has a few stuffed animals that he plays with and loves to snuggle with. I used to give him a box on it's side with shavings in it, but he never went in there so I removed it.

His favorite thing to do is to run up and down my stairs. They're carpeted, so he has no problem. He also loves to chase my dogs around the house, 'bucking' and twisting as he goes.

I have an extra rubber jelly curry that I brush him with - he absolutely loves it !
    Last edited by Roxyllsk; May. 14, 2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add stuff

Oreo loves Ritz crackers, too! I wonder what tastes good to them? Maybe they like all the salt?

It's really funny how I realize that he DOES love ritz crackers - he was out running in the house, and I was eating some crackers while watching TV. My 2 shelties were begging for crackers, both sitting very nicely and watching me munch, and occasionally sharing with me. Bob the Bunny comes hoping up, checks out the pups, then sits up on his hind legs checking me out and what we were eating. So, I gave the pups a cracker, and then gave Bob a cracker. He loved them ! He kept sitting up on his hind legs when he was ready for another one. Bunny begging maybe ?

I LOVE this thread!

I, too, have a large bunny - maybe part Himalayan? - and I am going through the same thing as the OP. She seems bored and lonely, despite her toys, a bedroom of her own, a few hours of adventuring around the house daily, and as much attention as I can lavish on her. I've had her for maybe 4 years, adopted her to keep my older male bunny company, but I didn't replace him when he died... probably a mistake..

So now I am planning to adopt a male bun. This is only my third rabbit, but I do think they long for the companionship of another of their species ( I know anthropomorphizing is allowed on this BB). I'll see if they'll bond through a child gate; if not, they are in for a car ride! I've not had to do that before, but I hear it works.

Fifa, this dear girl, is bored enough to even charge my cats. Not a good idea when one kitty is sure he's the alpha person in the house!

I like everyone's suggestions too, particularly the ideas for toys. Fifa likes the cat toys with a bell in them - why she has to play with it at 2:30 am is unclear to me! And blankets, of course..