The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Tire Cover Recommendations

I just dropped some serious coin on five beautiful new tires for my gooseneck and I want to preserve them for as long as humanly possible. I'm looking at tire covers online, but it's impossible to tell which are cheaply made and which are well-designed and strong. Recommendations?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I've seen 2 different covers - Dover has a vinyl one with a drawstring and Baker has a, well, Baker one. Pretty big price difference $20 vs $80.
    Are you looking to cover all the tires or just the spare?
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

You don't have to purchase tire covers via a horse tack site unless you want covers with perhaps a horse design on it.

I have been shopping for tire covers and have found plenty of options via Amazon. It's helpful to read the ratings, which will make it easier to narrow my choices down.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It's for all the tires, while it's parked. Trying to prevent dry rot for as long as possible!

Here's the sort I'm looking at: http://www.campingworld.com/category/tire-covers/101
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I use a tarp to cover mine, but have seriously thought about getting the ones from camping world. I know it helped my tires survive the hot hot summers here in south Fla.

when I changed my tires last fall, they were the original tires on my '03 trailer. I travel alot, spray and cover them, so they lasted a long time. I replaced them with the same exact tires - Goodyears and hope they last another 7 years.

Heart's Journey - what do you spray them with? Never heard of that before.

I replaced the tires on my Brenderup last summer - they were original and looked great but 10 years is pushing the limit.
    Last edited by baysngreys; May. 13, 2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: punctuation is so important in the morning
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

there is a spray in the auto parts section that is supposed to protect them against the UV rays. It also makes them shiney, but I do it for the protection factor.

I travel all over the state of Fla on long camping trips, so 7 years was long enough. It's important to check the sidewalls to see if there's any dry rot, cracking, etc as many people never bother to check and then wonder why they get flats....

Quote Originally Posted by Heart's Journey View Post
    there is a spray in the auto parts section that is supposed to protect them against the UV rays. It also makes them shiney, but I do it for the protection factor.

I travel all over the state of Fla on long camping trips, so 7 years was long enough. It's important to check the sidewalls to see if there's any dry rot, cracking, etc as many people never bother to check and then wonder why they get flats....
    Dunoir????
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"