The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ichon/Glucosamine/Adequan

So my vet prescribed Adequan last week for my horse who has arthritis in his hocks. This will be his first time on any type of prescription joint medication. (I have him on the Du-Mor joint supplement which does seem to be helping.)

My vet called me and said Adequan is presently on an indefinate manufacturer backorder but he could sell me a generic that he has had good luck with. That generic is Glucosamine. I would administer it the same way I would the Adequan-- IM, a loading dose, and then monthly. (As an aside, it does bother me that if he's had such good luck with it he didn't offer it to me first knowing I'm on such a tight budget and how much money I paid last year with my horse's numerous injuries.)

In doing some research into it I've seen many posts people have made about having good luck with Ichon. I do note that using Ichon like Adequan would be an "off-label" use. What I don't see anywhere though, is how Ichon would be administered? Is it IM? Is there a loading period? Do you give monthly as maintainance? How much is in 1 dose?

I know all horses are different and some will respond to the "generic" versions and others won't, but I'm also curious if anyone has used glucosamine and also Ichon did their horse(s) respond better to one than the other?

I don't even know if he would write me a scrip for Ichon but I figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

I don't have any experience with Ichon, but I can tell you IMO, the injectible glucosamine does nothing for the 4 horses in my barn that are on it. Adequan has research behind it to back it up so I'm sure that's why your vet prescribed it over the glucosamine. There is no generic for Adequan... What some people call generic Adequan is injectible glucosamine, not the same thing at all.

I have my Boy on Adequan, and will be starting him on Pentosan next week in lieu of Adequan, 1) because of the lack of it and 2) it's much cheaper.
    Last edited by BoyleHeightsKid; May. 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

It's not generic - it's a different product used the same way

Some people have success with it. Others do not. You can give it a try and see. It may be better than nothing, it may DO nothing.

If you do a search for Ichon you will find some good threads on the different injectibles

Hi, thanks for the responses. I did do a search for Ichon but didn't see among the results anything that indicated how the dosing works. (Though perhaps I didn't read enough of the threads.) Can anyone tell me how the dosing works, and, if they had to choose, would they do Ichon or Adequan? Thanks!
    mm

Adequan is a proven joint medication. Ichon is a surgical lavage that happens to also be used like Adequan. My vet always said "if a horse does well on Ichon, imagine how much better he'd be on Adequan".

I have my two horses on the injectable glucosamine (cost reasons). Their problems were relatively minor and both have responded very nicely. My vet told me to space the injections out to weekly, then every other week, etc., and am still doing this.

I'd say if you can afford Adequan, do it. If you need something in between or if the source of supply dries up, or just want to try it, I would recommend it. The cost is so little that even if it doesn't work as well as the Adequan you won't feel it in your pocketbook.

I orginally gave my horse Adequan and when my vet started bringing in Ichon, we switched to using that instead.

My gelding has continued to maintain the same level of soundness as he did on the Adequan.

I am giving him one dose by IM injection once a week. I believe its a 5cc dose.

Try Pentason. I just switched over from Adequan and have seen better results and the best part, its a lot cheaper!

For those who have tried Ichon--what is the recommended dose and how often should it be given? Is it administered IM? I have several vials of it, as my friend used to work for Kinetic. I'd like to try it but I don't know if it's like Adequan in that you adminster one vial monthly...

I am very interested in this thread. I JUST started my horse (on Thursday) on Adequan. Am attentive to the info here. Staying tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by islandrider View Post
    I am very interested in this thread. I JUST started my horse (on Thursday) on Adequan. Am attentive to the info here. Staying tuned.
    FYI, very few vets will inject Ichon as it is not to be injected and not legal to use. (info as of last year) Not sure about the injectable glucosamine.

I think I would try a loading dose of adequan first and see if it helps. I was once advised to make a list and start from the least expensive and work up. However I had been told some vets have better results with pentosan which I think may also be cheaper.

Is your horse lame or just stiff. If he is off in any way I think you may find joint injections most effective supported by legend or adequan may make the injections last longer.

For those of you that are using Pentosan and saying it is cheaper, where are you getting it from and what dosage are you giving? I have looked around and felt that everything I found was actually more expensive than Adequan, so I have stayed with Adequan. As I only have two more doses left, and this manufacturer back order doesn't seem to be ending soon, I have started looking around for an alternative. I was looking into Ichon because it was cheaper, but if Pentosan can be found for cheap I would like to evaluate it as an option.

So where are you finding it and how much are you giving?

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomBlues View Post
    For those of you that are using Pentosan and saying it is cheaper, where are you getting it from and what dosage are you giving? I have looked around and felt that everything I found was actually more expensive than Adequan, so I have stayed with Adequan. As I only have two more doses left, and this manufacturer back order doesn't seem to be ending soon, I have started looking around for an alternative. I was looking into Ichon because it was cheaper, but if Pentosan can be found for cheap I would like to evaluate it as an option.

So where are you finding it and how much are you giving?
    If your vet can get it compounded from Wedgewood Pharmacy, the cost per dose is less than half of Adequan. I can't give you an exact cost because some vets will write a script for you to get it directly from them (VERY cheap this way), some vets will order it in for you and mark it up (still much cheaper than Adequan) and some vets won't get it at all. It all depends, you need to talk to your vet.

My guy is getting a 6ml dose once a week for 4 weeks, then monthly after that. Vet gets me a 50ml bottle for $200. That comes to about $25 a dose instead of $48 for Adequan.

I started my mare on Pentosan yesterday. It was about half the cost of Adequan.

My Vet had come out to remove Caslick stitches, so while he was there, I asked him about Adequan. My mare just turned 12 years old and has been doing low level eventing for about six years. I wanted to know his opinion about when to start proactive measures to keep her comfortable.

Dr. Mason said that some folks are proactive and some just wait until they start to see a problem. He checked the prices on Adequan, then mentioned Pentosan as an alternative. He said that Pentosan is cheaper and that he is seeing very good results with it.

It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement in Tessie's way of going.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

My vet called Wedgewood and they offer 50ml of Pentosan for $120 including shipping. They said to give 6ml doses once per week for the first four weeks and then once per month after that. That works out to about $15 per dose.

I've been able to find Ichon for about $25 per dose. I can get Adequan for about $37 per dose.

My guy is on Adequan right now and doing great. I'm thinking about switching to Pentosan for cost savings, but worry that it won't be as effective and I'll have to switch back to Adequan and do the loading dose all over again. But, at the cheap price of Pentosan I could give a shot every 2-3 weeks and still save money over the Adequan, which I only give once per month. Thoughts?

My other idea was to give Ichon and Pentosan, which would be about the same cost as the Adequan, but would give him extra medication. Thoughts on that?

I think I would try one at a time to see if you get desired result. I think if it we me I would try a loading dose and see what improvement you see, then you will know what is worth trying again down the road.

I already did the loading dose of Adequan and now he's on the once monthly shot. If I switched to either Ichon or Pentosan (or a combo of both) do you think I would need to do the loading dose all over again? Especially w/ Ichon as it is the "same" as Adequan?