The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare in hospital, vets don't know what's wrong, please help

Hi thanks for reading. This is not my horse but here is the problem:

21 yr old Swedish WB mare, currently ridden 5 days/week for dressage. Has Cushings, and has been on Pergolide for a year and doing well on it. Her owner took her to a show Friday, and was planning on showing her Sat, Sun. She put her on bute a couple of days before show started. About an hour after finishing riding her fairly hard on Fri, mare starts shivering in her stall with labored breathing. (It's 72 degrees out). Show vet is called, comes and listens to heart rate, which is fluctuating from 44-52, and he notices a murmur, as well she has a slight temp of 102.5. He sends her to clinic for fluids, and possible ultra-sound, as well as checking for muscle enzymes in case it is a tie-up.

She looks like she is doing better after trailer ride to clinic, has no more fever or shivering, and normal gut sounds, they do blood work and everything is fine. They give her two bags of fluids and some banamine. After a couple of hours they say take her home. Right before loading her up, she urinates, and starts shivering violently again, all over her body. So they keep her to watch her overnight.

Next day she is still having bouts of shivering, then has an instance of spiking a really high fever (106). They give her some more banamine to bring down her fever. She has also urinated blood, and now has a heart rate at one point of 77 bpm, but then goes back down to 60.

They have ultra-sounded her whole gut and intestines and found nothing. Her blood enzyme levels are normal but white count and cortisol levels are up.

The owner says she thinking that the last time she put her on bute (months ago for a show), that she looked funny for couple of hours and went off her feed, but was then fine.

Could she be having a reaction to the bute and banamine?

Please if you have any ideas at all, tell me. The vets at the clinic are stumped.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

There is something they can get if you give Bute/banamine to a dehydrated horse (Something like "Right ...syndrome"...pertains to kidneys IIRC). There was a poster on here who's horse developed it.

Right dorsal colitis would be a reaction to bute. But not sure the shivering would be a symptom of that.
    Misty Blue had a horse that had RDC, she may weigh on this and have an idea if the symptoms could be indicative of RDC.

Thank you very much for that suggestions about Right Dorsal Colitis. Could she have had a temp because of that?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    -H.M.E.

Didn't think so. I believe heart rate & temp is usually normal, eventhough horse would be sweating.
    I'm not sure but your horse's symptoms don't sound like RDC all that much, just re-reading some of the RDC threads we had on here.

My mare had a bout of colitis and started trembeling (from pain) really bad during it w/ fever although it stayed in the low 102's. At first I thought she was in labor but it ended up being colitis. She was quivering, it was aweful. Watch for water, even if very little, come out after she poops. Is her manure normal or soft?

White count changes during mild colitis although I can't rmeember if it goes up or down. Did they check her fibrogenen?

Will gastroguard protect the whole GI tract or only the stomach when giving NSAIDS? I always give my horses Gastroguard as a preventative with every dose of banamine/bute.

The bloody urine / tea colored, can't that be a sign of tying up?

IF it is colitis, frequent small meals of equine senior will help. The gut needs to rest and that's an easily digestable feed. Other things that helped my mare: Small hole hay bag to slow down her hay intake.

As to 'shivering'. At first I thought my mare was shivering as well but like in your case, it was in the 70's, no reason to be shivering. She had normal poop but the oddness was the small 1/4 cup of green water that came out afterwards. I knew right there it was colitis and the 'shivering' was actually trembeling from pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Right dorsal colitis would be a reaction to bute. But not sure the shivering would be a symptom of that.
    Misty Blue had a horse that had RDC, she may weigh on this and have an idea if the symptoms could be indicative of RDC.
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking of!

Gastrogard only does the stomach. (Gastro = stomach). The hind gut in horses are a different story.

Not to tell the eq vets what to do but I wouldn't have done the banamine if I had known she had had bute recently. And I would prob lay off the NSAIDs and go to other pain meds.

That is my 2 cents.

Default Jingles for this Mare and All Who Love Her ~

Jingles for this mare and everyone who loves her ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Jingles for this mare and everyone who loves her ~

Echoing this. It is too bad the owner did not realize that one should be extremely conservative in the amount of stress and work one piles on a geriatric and Cushinoid horse! What was she thinking, trailer her to a show and work her hard the same day as the shipping, and then expect the mare to show the next day? That was very poor judgment and what a shame poor maresie is suffering from owner's decisions.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Jun. 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Probably a zebra, but did they ultrasound the mare ?--might be a big old bladder stone--would account for pain and hematuria, but probably not the fever.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Have they done a urinalysis and urinary culture/sensitivity on your mare? It's a bit of a wildebeest to go with Ghazzu's zebra, but I wonder about an ascending infection (i.e., pyelonephritis) to go with a urolith and explain the fever and elevated white count.

Good luck.

Default Not a vet but here's my guess

My guess is that her kidneys are not functioning well, perhaps damaged. The reason the mare began shivering again was the addition of fluids. Her system is shocky, witness the heart-rate and breathing because her body is retaining large amounts of fluids due to kidney malfunction.

Jingles for her mare, and please keep us updated on the mystery.

PKN

Thanks for everyone's help. I think the shivering is due to pain and the closest thing we can think of is the RDC. They have done an ultrasound and all the kidney/liver tests and they show nothing. I suggested they pull her off banamine and she is doing slightly better. I think the kidneys are not functioning well as pheasantknoll suggested, I'm not sure why the kidney tests are coming back normal. I am just off to the vet clinic to ask some more questions.

They want to put her on some kind of pain killer as she is obviously in a lot of pain, so they are now giving her Equioxx. I know nothing is without risk, and I'm a little worried that this might also hurt her system, so please keep the ideas coming if you can think of anything else.

Thank you.
    -H.M.E.

Default Jingles continue for your mare and you ~ thanks for update ~

Jingles & AO continue for your mare and you ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"