The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Toys?

I have two little dogs. (about 25#) Buying toys for them has been a hit or miss proposition. Now that they are through the super-chewy puppy stage, I am trying to find chew/play toys for them.
    They dont like soft plastic. Rubber is sometimes good. They get kongs in their crates but are only interested in soft food inside it (they leave kibble in if I stuff with that - highly offended with that as a treat!) They are not frisbee dogs and so far, not too interested in puzzles.
    Plush toys are chewed too enthusiastically. Stuffing is not usually the problem. They just spread that everywhere! But they chew and swallow chunks of the "hide". I am afraid of what they are eating and that something will get stuck in the digestive tract. Their favorite toy? Towels! They love to rip them, chew them, and suck on them (making loud sounds)

Any ideas on toys that they will want to chew that are reasonably safe? The toys are for inside.

Check out West Paw Design-all of their dog toys are made in the USA and guaranteed. My dog loves to pull the stuffing out of his toys then proceeds to eat the toy and look all innocent until it comes back up. www.westpawdesign.com

Hellboy the chihuahua/papillon loves the Skinneez toys - they have no stuffing to pull out, and they seem pretty tough (they also get good reviews for durability on this site). He has several of them and he and the big lab (who IS destructive) play tug of war with them and chase them endlessly.

http://www.dog.com/item/skinneeez-st...og-toy/490513/

So are the "skins" tough enough not to get torn and eaten? I really dont mind about the stuffing - they dont eat it and it is not hard to pick up. I am more conerned with them chewing off and swallowing chunks of non-digestible stuff!

I have a rabid toy eater/destroyer Jack, and have tried every "soft" toy-Skinneez dont last here. They have 2 squeakers that get eaten and the cloth could certainly be ripped and injested. My compromise is little rope toys, although the Lab misses his big fluffy toys...

There are some dog toys out there that use a hemp canvas-y kind of cloth... here's one I found online: http://www.earthdog.com/hemp-product...ys/stuffed-toy

Those are pretty darn durable; I haven't tried any of the dog toys, but I've gotten various cat toys with that kind of cloth, and they stand up to my dachshund chewing/ripping them (she likes catnip). Also might work if they like the sturdier fabric of a towel.