The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Good day, bad day.....

I've had enough bad horsey luck lately with my darling mare. Two (or was it three) failed trips to hunt with my Virginia brethren due to injuries and illnesses (hers not mine). Last Monday, her future foxhunt replacement, and youngest offspring was diagnosed with EPM (via spinal tap). Rather BAD day.

I was in such a funk I decided to skip going to my hunt's annual meeting.... I changed my mind last minute, drove just a tad over speed limit and got there on time. So glad I did. I was awarded my colors! It really did brighten my gloomy day!!!!

Bad news, good news - now for a question.....

Has anyone hunted a recovered EPM horse? He's just finished week one of Marquis, and I think we caught it early. He was graded 2/3 on the ataxia scale, with some muscle wasting in a few days time. He's a strapping young, coming 3 year old Oldenburg that had yet to be started under saddle.

Is there any hope that he can one day fulfill the job as my foxhunter? If pasture potato is all he's capable of, that's fine with me. I'm trying to stay optomistic.

Please keep little Tiny in your prayers

PS - I did breed my lovely mare (as she's on stall rest for 3-4 months) to a stunning little stallion... Tuesday I'll find out if I get SOME good breeding news.

Smile There is hope

I'm soo sorry to read this about your baby!

I may have some good news for you, in that I may be hunting one who has recovered. Although, she is probably too forward to hang out in 3rd field.
    So far she is doing well, 3 years out from recovery.
    Congratulations on getting your colors! You have really brought so much enthusiasm to AVH!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

I have a friend who whips in on an EPM horse. The horse had previously hunted in VA I believe after his EPM treatment. I don't know how long ago he was treated, but I haven't heard of him having any problems.

So sorry for Tiny and you. Wishing you both the best. It is hard to love such fragile creatures so much!

I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis! I have no knowledge about EPM, But I'll have you and Tiny in my heart.

Congratulations on getting your colors! How wonderful to have been able to go from "dressage rider gone wild" to hunt member with colors in such a short time. You should be very proud!

There absolutely is hope.
    One of my hunt horses has recovered brilliantly. Marquis was definitely the answer, other medications did NOT work for him. He had 3 months of Marquis and continued in work throughout treatment. Also, he had regular acupuncture/chiro work (and still does).

He leads the field, whips in, qualified for the North American field hunter championships final day, has placed 3 of the 4 years he has shown at Harrisburg Hunt Night, has placed at CCI*/Intermediate all post-EPM.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

TONS of hope.

I know 2 CCI*** and CCI**** horses that made it all the way back to peak form. And more recently a lovely jumper horse that was very bad and is now even better than he was pre-treatment.

Don't give up, but do your research, explore all the options on the web, and ASK QUESTIONS.....alot.

Good luck.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Red face Thank you so much!

Ladies,
    You've really brightened my spirits!
    Whicker - I love your mare, and I can only hope Tiny ends up a fraction as sure footed, strong and beautiful as your girl. KateDB, three months on Marquis? Do you recall how long it took to see an improvement? I started treating day 1 with Marquis - I couldn't imagine it being anything else (and yes we did test for EVERYTHING), so hopefully it was caught early.

I'm lucky to now have options in the barn to hopefully take out come Roading in August. Hey, if my mare is confirmed "open" on Tuesday, and that wandering ultrasound goes from her abdomen to her leg will find her extensor tendon fully healed, and she can go back to work shortly... Otherwise, another fabulous (and crossing fingers) healthy baby it will be!

Yes indeed, 3 months, as prescribed by vet. We had already tried sulfadiazine with some progress, but it was too hard on his system.

I would say that I felt solid results within 4 weeks or so. I kept him in work, and even traveled South for 2 weeks of schooling/competing, though I dropped him down a level - and that was in his last 5 weeks of meds.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.