The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 100 starving horses found abandoned on strip mine

Just heard about this one. Awful. Relatively new so not clear what is going on yet, but seems that horses were dumped on a strip mine and left to run feral. No one is claiming them or so far seems to know who "owns" them, if anyone.

Photos on facebook, warning that some are graphic: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...00001725481422

Heartbreaking.

Do you know where in WV this is, I may be able to help.

Oh wow...were they dumped there in that condition or did it happen awhile ago? What terrible pictures, though, I pray those horses are past the worst of it.

When I go to the facebook page it says it's not available. Is there anything being done about/for them?
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

MSJ,

by looking at the info on the pictures it seems to me that these 100+ horses were just discovered. The people involved are trying to get the local media to cover the story.

I C&P from the facebook page:
    Where: Mingo County - Wharncliffe, WV
    (I believe this is close to Gilbert, WV)
    They are on Glenn Elm mountain – likely a former mine site -
    What: 100 plus free ranging horses starving

you do not want to see the pictures. I will give you a run down, all ages, from dying to what looks like a recently released horses on a site where there is limited resources.

Ugh, yes, I did finally see the pics and most are terrible. That paint looks like it's probably just been released and is in good condition.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

was that chestnut burned?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Poor horses. They look awful.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

They have been turning horses loose on the high mountain mines land for a while. Some of the places where turned into common graze and leased but most are just put out.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Can't see it either.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

The bottom middle horse looks, to me anyway, like she might be pregnant,

There is some video on this link: http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=vie...&storyid=99301

Horrible. Some of them look on death's door.

I can't see either.. when I click the link, it keeps taking me to the FaceBook home page.

What is the name of the page so that I can search for it in FB?

Tried google-ing, only got thread...

Default Interesting

This from the article:

However some people, who did not wish to identify themselves, said the horses were recently purchased at an auction and had been turned loose on the property to allow them to gain weight.

HMmmmmmm... evidently not working so well.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

The name of the facebook group is "Help Save Mingo Horses!" There are links to the pictures in that group near the beginning. The picture album is entitled "starving/dying horses in WV....NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!".

It sounds like they are organizing getting hay to the horses today but aren't sure they even know where they all are yet. What a mess.

Not clear where they are going to go, so they are asking for people to hold off on donations until they get the ducks in a row so they make sure legitimate 501(c)(3) organizations helping the horses get the money, and not scammers. Sounds prudent.

You're correct that they have been turning horses loose on old mountaintop mines for awhile. There was a newspaper article a couple years ago (probably AP).

I know pretty much where this would be. I've been writing about mining down there for 14 years, including a book, Moving Mountains. But now I only go there every couple of years because I have horses at home in Virginia. Haven't been to that area for two years.

So sad.

Ironically, some of those old mines could work for rescue/retired horses if done right. There's desperate need for new economies down there (a friend down there just emailed me about an idea she had for the mine sites).

If the land was properly nourished, hay and grain could be grown there. People could have jobs. And horses could benefit.

All of Mingo County is extremely rural, with a high poverty rate. the closest thing to anything recognizable in the entire county is Matewan, a mining town about which someone made a movie in the '80s about the WV mine wars in the 20's.

Honestly, the place is too far from anything to be anything useful, really. For Mingo County to be useful for retirement facilities or any other industry, they need things like easy interstate access. But I guess it makes it an easy place to dump 100 horses without anyone being the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutt View Post
    You're correct that they have been turning horses loose on old mountaintop mines for awhile. There was a newspaper article a couple years ago (probably AP).
    There is some controversy about the article (I think) you are referencing; it turned out that no one was able to *DOCUMENT* any alleged abandoned horses in that AP article.

Indeed when California banned horse slaughter, there were multitudes of rumors about abandoned horses - with almost no factual documentation or verification - just rumors.

That AP article I think you refer to was written by Jeffrey McMurray, who referred to herds of horses as "packs" . Here's a rebuttal: http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/Deletin...ctionPart2.pdf

I hate misinformation, and reporting rumors as fact. It is irresponsible journalism.

So, if these horses came from an auction and were loosed on the mountain to "gain weight" then I guess it begs the question that the owner was a slaughter buyer?

I swear some days I really hate my state.

And I really hope that Crossed Sabres/SWAT woman keeps her nose out of this mess...

Does the little donkey (I think) in the video have a lead rope it is dragging along too?