The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Phelan saddle?

I was just offered a lovely black "eventing" (all purpose?) saddle for very little money. It is marked Handmade in Walsall, England for Phelan.
    Does this ring any bells for anyone? It looks like a very nice saddle, but I don't know anything about it.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I just found a couple of tidbits that might help. Phelan Saddlery was a "high end" equestrian catalog founded and owned by Ryan Phelan. It was in business approximately from 1988 to 1993 when it was bought out by Barrington Saddlery.

Does this jog anyone's memory? Any idea what saddle(s) it might be a copy of? It would have been made between 1988 and 1993. Again, it was handmade in Walsall, England.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

We used to get Phelan's catalog, but I can't remember what type of saddles they had. All I remember is quite a bit of polo equipment. DH used to buy polo breeches from them because he didn't like regular breeches at the time.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Probably made specially and put under Phelan's label by the same folks that used to do the mid-range strap goods for State Line (back when they were decent quality). That factory is in Wallsall, England as well.

I remember the Phelan's catalog - LOVED it. Never bought a lot from there, but what I did buy, was VERY nice quality. I always wondered what happened to them. A pity,.............
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/