The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ignore please

*Sorry. I posted a question but I can't seem to ask it without sounding pompous and wanting pats on the back. So, never mind, I'll find out privately."
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Depends on the organization's policies on donations whether or not you get a receipt and how soon it goes out. Why not call the org and check in with them?

IMHO paypal is no better than a check for a donation. You should use what you feel comfortable using.

Yes, you should. Whether they will send it within a month, or in time for taxes, would be based on their policy.

If you don't get one within 30 days, and the check cleared, call and ask. If it hasn't cleared, call to make sure they got it.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Thank you. Simple, plain answer and didn't occur to me....heh...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Legally, I believe (but am not a tax professional) that you need a receipt if your donation is $250 or more. Otherwise, I believe your canceled check is good enough.

Many rescues will send thank yous on any size donation or on donations over a certain amount. Oftentimes our donors don't send in addresses with their donations, but we can get them off your check.

Since many rescues are all volunteer run or primarily volunteer run, they might not get receipts out right away.

If you need a receipt and don't get one within 1-2 months, there's nothing wrong with writing the rescue and asking for one. I know we've had a couple of times where we've sent a receipt but it went astray in the mail somewhere...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com