The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question While digging- what is it???

We were digging post holes today and about 3 feet down we hit something hollow sounding and metal. There are no tanks buried that I know of and it is nowhere near the house. The same thing happened every 8 feet for 4 different posts. The place is 90 years old, and the interstate runs next to it. Any ideas what this could be?

Old underground pipeline most likely. For what, who knows? But a quick check at town hall should confirm if there's any old pipelines running under your property. Could be an old waterline, but could be an old gas line too. Best to find out what it is/was and if it's still active or not.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I am assuming that you've already called Miss Utility, so we can rule out this being anything active?

I'm the nosy sort. I'd try to look down there with a flashlight. And if that didn't work, I'd pick a spot between post holes, and I'd dig an exploratory hole with my backhoe. Count be anything. Abandoned old pipe line. Chest of pirate gold. Access to the storm drain network. Some buried scrap metal. Could be anything!

Wink

Buried treasure??
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Aren't some coffins made of metal?

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Aren't some coffins made of metal?
    That's creepy. Would there be a way to find out what it is without actually digging up my new pasture?

Are you in the flat lands? Farms have "Tile" to drain the fields. You might have found a line. Branch or trunk depending on the size

I would suggest calling your utility companies first, but a concern for me would be, whatever it is, would it be contaminating my pasture? For that, I think you could call your AG extension office and have soil samples taken. Perhaps, they would shed some light, too if the utility company can't help.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

No, we live right next to a big valley. The place where we found this is flat but only for about 3 acres or so. Of course there wouldn't have been other houses around me back then either or the highway for that matter.
    I'm thinking of going to the county records, or maybe the library and seeing if I can find out what the land was used for before, for clues.
    As far as a trunk or treasure, that would either be one big ass box or be some OCD person burying more than one every 8 feet, seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by manentail View Post
    No, we live right next to a big valley. The place where we found this is flat but only for about 3 acres or so. Of course there wouldn't have been other houses around me back then either or the highway for that matter.
    I'm thinking of going to the county records, or maybe the library and seeing if I can find out what the land was used for before, for clues.
    As far as a trunk or treasure, that would either be one big ass box or be some OCD person burying more than one every 8 feet, seems unlikely.
    Well, it is obviously the box car of a train, filled with treasure.

Personally, I would not have the patience for pawing through records. I would just call either the town hall and find someone to talk to me, or I would call the utilities company, who should be able to help you too.

A time capsule?
    Or buried spaceship?

Intriguing! Please let us know what it is if you ever find out.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Rent a metal detector and send the kids ( or DH) out to figure out if it's a pipe or not. Then let them run amok looking for fun staff across the farm.

If it's a pipe, city hall or the county planning office probably has something on it. Check online and you may find the records you need.

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

Sounds like some kind of a pipe or culvert. Definitely check with the town's utilities department. It would suck if you punched a hole in it and it turns out to be sewage or natural gas!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Sounds like it has to be an old fuel tank. If the place was farmed in the past, they might have burried a fuel tank that held diesel or they could have disposed of it by burrying it.

I found all kinds of things burried on my place. It used to be common practice to just big a hole and burry whatever trash you had. That was long before there were rules and regs to protect the environment.

Atlantis?

You have hit the hull of the long buried mother ship of evil aliens, and the passengers will soon wake up and eliminate all of us. I wonder if the person who wrote the book about the world ending on the 21st meant that the ship you dug up would do this?

Remember, the end of the world is all your fault.

I agree with the idea of stopping the digging until you get someone out there to find out what it is. Nothing like finding out you hit a long buried, but still active water transmission line or something equally bad to hit.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    You have hit the hull of the long buried mother ship of evil aliens, and the passengers will soon wake up and eliminate all of us.
    Steven King already wrote about digging up a buried mother ship. Remember The Tommyknockers?

So, manentail, if you start going bald, losing your teeth and begin growing weird appendages in private places, it's the tommyknockers!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Drain tile?
    Click here before you buy.

Do you live near Roswell?