The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Foal ulcers

    I'm at about my wits end with a 6 week old filly that does not seem to be responding to Gastroguard (and friends)as she continues to eat more and more dirt. We have her on an arsenal of stuff. Biosponge, GG, sulcrafate, psyllium, probiotics, rantiditine... you get the idea. NOTHING seems to be helping. In fact, I think it's getting worse the older she gets. Blood has been pulled to see what her protein levels say. Should get that back tomorrow. Has anyone had a foal like this? I put her out and she digs a hole, eats dirt then looks in my general direction as I'm having internal kittens about it. It's a vicious circle- the sand, diarrhea, etc, etc and the only way I can break the dirt eating is to stall her. I don't like doing that but I'm out of ideas.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,763

    Default

    Just curious why you think it is ulcers. If it did not respond to gastrogard, the real stuff not compounded I doubt that is the problem. At the very least it isn't the whole problem. The things that immediately springs to mind as possibilities is parasites and mineral deficiency. If you haven't already double dose her with panacur or strongid and start her on foal aide or rejuvenaide.

    As an aside, I had a foal last year that sounds sort of similar. He had runny poop for weeks that didn't respond to anything we tried which were the same things you have tried. He was not eating dirt though. Anyway one day I saw him absolutely crane his neck to an impossible length and was licking his Mom's Himalayan salt block. I took that out of the stall and his poop was normal in a day or two. Jingles for your little one.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2005
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    554

    Default

    I had a foal that insisted on eating sand/crusher dust - I could hear the crunching in her mouth! Treated for ulcers, worms and also used Biosponge.
    The de-wormer was really hard on her, and I am sure the problem was the sand/crusher dust ingested. It may have started as ulcers, but quickly became the vicious you spoke about. Oh yes, tried psillium too. I think the sand abraded her intestinal track. In the end, I did stall her until I could move her to another paddock. Only then did she recover. She did not have a "normal" diarhrhea - very watery almost clear, and then more solid lumps. Clearly, her tummy was bothering her - pressing butt against the wall. Also, as Laurierace says, remove the salt block, just in case. Too much salt can cause problems in foals.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,698

    Default

    What is her diet, if anything other than mom's milk and hay/grass?

    I would agree it may wall be a mineral issue. I've had bouts of dirt-eating with my adult horses, and every time, as soon as I force-feed a Dynamite product called Izmine, which is silica-based, they stop in about 2 days.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Just curious why you think it is ulcers. If it did not respond to gastrogard, the real stuff not compounded I doubt that is the problem. At the very least it isn't the whole problem. The things that immediately springs to mind as possibilities is parasites and mineral deficiency. If you haven't already double dose her with panacur or strongid and start her on foal aide or rejuvenaide. .
    I just posted a long response that got eaten. The filly was born and shortly thereafter was grinding teeth and rolling up on her back. Classic signs of ulcers and her mom had placentitis so was on high doses of banamine. It made sense given the drug cocktail momma was on. The filly has been wormed with Panacur and has been on Rejuvenaide. All was well until about a week ago. I did remove Rejuvenaide Plus as I was having a hell of a time getting it into her as well as her GastroGuard(real stuff) solo so opted for the GG. I currently have friends helping me out to get all the other things into her as it's a two man job for get everything into her. Currently she hates me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    As an aside, I had a foal last year that sounds sort of similar. He had runny poop for weeks that didn't respond to anything we tried which were the same things you have tried. He was not eating dirt though. Anyway one day I saw him absolutely crane his neck to an impossible length and was licking his Mom's Himalayan salt block. I took that out of the stall and his poop was normal in a day or two. Jingles for your little one.
    There are no salt blocks in the foaling stall. I greatly appreciate your response. As I said I'm at my wits end and am awaiting protein test results.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What is her diet, if anything other than mom's milk and hay/grass?

    I would agree it may wall be a mineral issue. I've had bouts of dirt-eating with my adult horses, and every time, as soon as I force-feed a Dynamite product called Izmine, which is silica-based, they stop in about 2 days.
    Mom gets TC Growth with Vit E supplement. She gets O&A hay- as much as she can eat.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,698

    Default

    Who gets the O&A hay - mom, mom and foal, or foal?

    The O part, assuming it's oats, may be too much starch for the foal.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 20, 2010
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    I think 'O' is orchard grass. Be sure that the foal is not eating mom's feed. That caused one of my foals to be persistently colicky last year. Have you had a CBC done on her?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    The O is for Orchard grass. Blood was pulled yesterday to run a few tests. I should get that back today. The TC Growth feed the filly gets very little of if anything as momma is like a lab- head in feed bucket and she doesn't come up for air till it's gone.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



Similar Threads

  1. Foal with ulcers
    By Molly Malone in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
  3. Possible Ulcers? Calling Those Who Know About Ulcers in Horses
    By Dressage.For.Life. in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Sep. 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
  4. Foal with ulcers
    By ticofuzzy in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec. 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
  5. Dysmature foal - temperature regulation and ulcers....
    By rideagoldenpony in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Jun. 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness