The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot shining product?

I have been taking my tall boots before horse shows to a local shoe repair man to be cleaned/shined. Cleaning is no problem for me, but what product do you recommend to get super shiny boots?

Thanks guys!

I think the Urad leather products are amazing. It really shines the leather while cleaning and conditioning and a very little goes a long way!

My dad's old military trick: finish by buffing with pantyhose to get a really good shine!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Depends on the leather. I had some old ariats that you just had to rub out with a towel really well to shine it up - tried the pantyhose but it was too thin and i got fingerprints anywhere.

Using Urad on my Monacos.... AMAZING and well worth the 15 bucks I bought for such a little tub!

I thought Urad made my boots really gunky. The best way to get a good shine is with regular old fashioned shoe polish and a good buff. Kiwi or a similar brand is best and a lot cheaper than all that gimmicky stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    My dad's old military trick: finish by buffing with pantyhose to get a really good shine!
    This. Hands down. Any shoe polish, brush a bit and good 'ol elbow greese with a pantyhose.
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

EquitationAddict101 Guest

Kiwi shoe polish, soft brush, and good old fashion elbow grease does the trick for me!

Kiwi Parade Gloss!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING stuff! I heat it with a hair dryer and do multiple thin layers. I LOVE polishing my boots and getting a super high shine!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

kiwi shoe polish and buffing with a soft cotton tee shirt

Well first don't ever clean with saddle soap or many of the leather products we use for saddles...for whatever reason that seems to make boots lose their ability to shine. For general conditioning and often a shine I've always had good luck w/Vogels leather conditioner- in the beige/yellowish bottle. But for a great shine I've got to agree w/the Kiwi, brush, elbow grease with some help from old pantyhose. I don't think the creme polishes shine as well as Kiwi. if boots are muddy or dirty just use some warm water, rag/old toothbrush to clean (condition w/ Vogels) and then polish

If they are truly gunked up with manure/sweat, etc...I clean them with castile soap, not saddle soap.

I maintain 5-6 thin coats of regular Kiwi shoe polish, replacing as needed. For an occasion requiring REALLY shiny boots, nothing beats Parade Gloss buffed with a nylon stocking. Unless you have access to a military PX, Parade Gloss might be hard to find, I ordered some from Amazon. I spit shine only the toe, it's too time consuming to do the whole boot, but it is cool to be able to check your hair in the toe of your boot .

Default Here's a Cheat

I have traditionally shined my boots with two coats of Kiwi Parade Gloss buffed up with a shoe brush. However, my current boots, Ariat Crowne Pros, are frustratingly dull no matter what I do or how much elbow grease I use. As soon as they get dusty and I wipe them before entering the ring, they look dull again. So, my friend told me about a cheat product to get them mirror-like shiny. Use a liquid product like Kiwi Honor Guard in black. I only use it on my boot shafts and not on the foot part or or the inside of the shaft where my leg contacts the horse. Once the product dries, it leaves a lasting, high gloss shine. For the rest of the boot, I still use my regular parade gloss method, and I like to add some saddle-tite where I grip the horse for good measure. I went from dull boots to gettign compliments on my shiny boots at every show and with much less effort!

The Honor Guard stays on through multiple show weekends. To strip the polish, which is quite durable, I use acetone.
    http://www.hunterjumperconnection.com/hjc-blog.html

A blog featuring the musings of a semi-neurotic adult amateur rider on riding, training, showing, life.

I swear by this stuff. I go from muddy boots, to shining in about 15 mins.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=297392