The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default BTW, responsible breeders of cropped breeds

Have the puppies cropped before they leave them and do the initial aftercare until ears are healed and the first taping is on. They will tape ears for free if you are close enough or arrange for you to have a referral for taping or learning to tape. The real problems occur when people don't research and do a responsible job of selecting a good breeder, of course that means lots of other problems as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    Have the puppies cropped before they leave them and do the initial aftercare until ears are healed and the first taping is on. They will tape ears for free if you are close enough or arrange for you to have a referral for taping or learning to tape. The real problems occur when people don't research and do a responsible job of selecting a good breeder, of course that means lots of other problems as well.
    Right. The breeder I got my last two from won't allow the puppies to leave until the ears are fully healed and can be taped. They were 9 weeks old at that point.

yes and the taping? I've seen numerous ears chopped off taped up puppies have miserable experiences (due to the taped up surgically chopped ears) in puppy socialization classes for weeks on end. Of course they ended up being not particularly friendly due to the endless bad experiences during an early formative period. No excuse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    yes and the taping? I've seen numerous ears chopped off taped up puppies have miserable experiences (due to the taped up surgically chopped ears) in puppy socialization classes for weeks on end. Of course they ended up being not particularly friendly due to the endless bad experiences during an early formative period. No excuse for it.

Default That really IS hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I think if we, as a society, allow circumcision of our newborn boys, and ear piercing of our baby girls....it's tough to argue that we should ban the proper and careful modification of any other animal.
    Well said. However, I personally would not do cosmetic surgery on children or dogs.

Don't do it on my Cavalier puppies, but have no problem with someone removing dewclaws, as I can see a good reason for it with some dogs/breeds.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    Agreed. The classes I take my dogs to don't allow play time (fine by me as they are there to learn not play; they get plenty of play and socialization elsewhere). Plus my pup plays HARD with my 3 yr old female with his ear tapes. Who cries the most? The 3 yr old from those puppy teeth!!!
    Last edited by vtdobes; May. 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Default No playing at class for us either

Every one of my cropped Dobes (7) have been very friendly and outgoing in all venues. The taped puppies have slammed and jumped all over the older dogs with great confidence.