The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The List of Adrian Messenger (1963)

Dana Wynter died the other day, and I was reminded that she was in this film. This is the foxhunting sequence, with John Huston, the director and keen foxhunter, appearing in a cameo as a member of the field.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94iTdEsmuw8

Obviously, this is a Hollywood film and not a documentary, but kind of fun, nonetheless.

The West Hills Hunt provided the 'field' for the hunt scene and I was told that was their real huntsman at the time portraying the huntsman. The huntsman was a legend in his own right. I read an article about him, either in COTH or the Museum of Hounds and Hunting newsletter.

It's a fabulous movie and I blame it for my early love for gray ponies. I also, years after first seeing a certain Thelwell cartoon, finally got the joke it contained after watching the movie.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Oh, thanks for posting the link, I just watched the first few minutes of part one and I'm hooked!

Well, I liked the part I watched so much I went on Amazon and bought the DVD so I can watch it on my laptop next time I'm on an airplane.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Ooh, I haven't seen that movie since it was new I think!

David Wendler was the long time West Hills huntsman til just a couple of years ago- that 'could' have been a glimpse of him. But he also had a career as a movie stuntman. Had the pleasure of hunting with West Hills and have to say there were only a few scenes that looked like they 'could' have been West Hills country- but of course I have no clue what their country looked like in 1963!

If you visit the Museum of Hounds and Hunting at Morven Park, you can see Ronald Reagan's letter resigning from West Hills.

One of my favorite movies. I taped it years ago and still watch it from time to time. Nonhorsey people and some horsey ones never heard of it -- now I must dust it off and watch again.

Painted Wings, you realize you could've watched the whole movie on YouTube? Although broken into parts, the whole movie is there. But I agree it's a good one to have on DVD.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Love this movie! I could probably recite the whole thing and I am always recommending it to about anyone.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Yeah I realize I could have watched it on Utube but my internet connection at home is painfully slow. We might even do a hunt club movie night at one of the Master's homes that has a home theatre so it will be much nicer than watching it in little pieces on Utube.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Unhappy Not the same, sigh..

I tried watching it on utube last night. It doesn't show well. The parts are broken into the segments by the clock, not by the action or scene, and the cuts take out important pieces of dialog and storyline.
    Intermediate Riding Skills