The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Letting your nervous horse realize its tired

This is true, true, true! How many times have I seen people cantering their horses round and round or lunging them to death to calm them down.
    Fantastic, sensible advice!
    Properly schooling a nervous horse

Austin, TX

Nice article! That makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing

This is a great article - thanks for posting it!
    I hate watching people longe thier horses at the canter for a half hour straight and saying that they "have to tire them out before they get on." This has always been hogwash to me.

Great post, hartley!

El Paso, TX

I do something similar with Jet. I will sometimes longe him before tacking up, then go groom/tack up to let him relax/adrenaline go down, then ride. Or I get on, trot enough to ckeck for lameness (making sure he didn't do anything stupid overnight), then canter each direction for a few minutes, then walk and relax. It really does work.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016!

Sunny Sonoma, CA

Wow, I'm hella smart and I didn't even know it!

With my Nervous Nellie, I always hand walk him for about five or ten minutes after longeing before I get on, and spend the first five or ten minutes under saddle just walking. Walking definitely cools down his mind as well as his body.

And here I thought I was a genius for figuring this out all by myself! LOL
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Very interesting article!

I'm usually not one to lunge to "tire out", but I often send my horse out on the line for a little on the way in from his field as he has some soundness questions and I like to check him out before I go through the process of tacking up. I never thought about this helping out his brain, but apparently so!