The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Photos! - Oldenburg Recovers from 70% Fire Burns

Great story! Incredible before and after photos at link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...illed-her.html

Excerpt from article:

After two years of gruelling treatments and skin grafts, these pictures show the amazing recovery made by a horse that suffered 70 per cent burns in a barn fire.

Suki, an 11-year-old Oldenburg mare, wasn't expected to live after the fire in August 2009 but after the hard work of vets and several operations, she has made a miracle recovery.

Now Suki's owner, Fran Wade, hopes she will be able to help human burns sufferers.

'To hear your horse has been in a fire is every owner's worst nightmare,' she said. I knew that Suki had been locked in her stable in the barn where the fire broke out, and I was sure she'd be dead.

'But when I heard firefighters had found her alive, I knew she'd survived for a reason. I couldn't give up on her.

'Vets warned me her treatment would cost thousands and it might not be successful, It was doubtful whether I'd ever be able to ride her again if she did pull through.

'But I didn't hesitate for a moment. Suki is one of the family; I would do whatever it took to help her. Her recovery has been nothing short of a miracle.'

Suki was a champion dressage horse before the fire at a barn in central Pennsylvania, USA.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I think it's wonderful that she recovered, and that her owner displayed such dedication in helping with that recovery.

That said, burns are incredibly painful and take so long to heal. Having not been in that situation, it's tough to say... but I'm not sure I would put a horse with burns over 70% of its body through that.

Animals that are suffering can't understand why, and I imagine that such extensive burns caused considerable suffering for many months.

What a horrible situation for the owner to have been in, though. I can't imagine getting a call that my horse had been burned alive in a barn fire.

Also very strange that a UK paper ran the story. I wouldn't have put the horse through that but I am glad she is recovering.

Next to a traffic accident while hauling my horse, a barn fire is my second deepest fear for my animals. I'm afraid I wouldn't have subjected my horse to that kind of a painful existence either. I know what my choice would have been....I don't believe in allowing an animal to suffer as this undoubtedly has. Was her suffering worth it? IDK, that's for Suki to say.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

That is odd that it was run in a UK paper...I believe that was the fire at the former Passport facility in Berks County. A very suspect fire and a shame for all the victims... I am glad to hear Suki is okay, all anyone ever heard was that the horse had bad burns but survived...shame the local paper here would not do a follow up.

I don't have a strong enough constitution to go through that - I'm amazed at her recovery though.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Next to a traffic accident while hauling my horse, a barn fire is my second deepest fear for my animals. I'm afraid I wouldn't have subjected my horse to that kind of a painful existence either. I know what my choice would have been....I don't believe in allowing an animal to suffer as this undoubtedly has. Was her suffering worth it? IDK, that's for Suki to say.
    I certainly don't think that the vets let this horse "suffer". Often severe burns burn the nerves and that minimizes some of the pain. This horse was not out suffering in a field, she was in a veterinary setting with appropriate IV and topical pain relief. I hardly think that that is "subjecting her to a painful existance", but that may be because I work in the veterinary field. She is obviously recovered and pain free now and she gets to live a long life due to the diligence of a caring owner.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

There is a reason this horse survived and Fran Wade is so strong in her conviction and finances. The fact Suki is used as a role model for other burn patients, especially children speaks volumes.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

What a self absobed, selfish owner to put her horse through all that.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    IMO I think that this is better time and money spent than some rescues put into old uncureable horses...

At the very least this horse provided wonderful practice/experience for all of the vets working with her. Congrats to the vet team for a terrific job.

Glad the mare is doing well.

However, I had a mare badly burned in a trailer fire and put her down. It was an emotional time and }kve often thought that maybe I could have tried to save her. She was about 2 weeks to a month away from foaling too. The vet seemed awfully anxious for me to let her go, which I and others have thought strange. Still, I'm thinking that maybe, after all, I did do the right thing in letting her go.

Now I think the owner should have done the same with her mare. My opinion only.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

IMHO, I think it was cruel too!

I can't imagine being so selfish to keep that horse alive. That must have been horribly painful, pain medication or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. "After two years of grueling treatments..." Can't seem to get much enthusiasm up for this owner.

I can't bear to think of the suffering that poor horse went through. Claims that it wasn't in pain are simply not credible.

I doubt I would have put the horse through that, too. I also have to wonder about the mental toll that it all had on the horse - I noticed the article doesn't mention that at all. I'd assume it would have been traumatizing.

Amazing recovery but I could not put any animal through that.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I certainly don't think that the vets let this horse "suffer". Often severe burns burn the nerves and that minimizes some of the pain. This horse was not out suffering in a field, she was in a veterinary setting with appropriate IV and topical pain relief. I hardly think that that is "subjecting her to a painful existance", but that may be because I work in the veterinary field. She is obviously recovered and pain free now and she gets to live a long life due to the diligence of a caring owner.
    Says you. The opening line in the article:
    "After two years of gruelling treatments and skin grafts,"

"Gruelling" adjective] characterized by toilsome effort to the point of exhaustion; especially physical effort; "worked their arduous way up the mining valley"; "a grueling campaign"; "hard labor"; "heavy work"; "heavy going"; "spent many laborious hours on the project"; "set a punishing pace"
    Synonyms: arduous, backbreaking, grueling, hard, heavy, laborious, punishing, toilsome

I still think I would have made the choice to have her humanely euthed.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If some of you would bother to read the case study, I think you'll that the 1st article is typical sensational journalism. All of the burns were 1st and 2nd degree. None were life threatening, and within 48 hours she was eating and being sassy.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

After reading the article that Equibrit posted, I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't have made the same decision. Thankfully, she had the resources to be able to continue with the mare's treatment, and she went off of the advice of the veterinarian's at New Bolton. Given the attitude of the mare, maybe it was the right decision, and it seems she was open to having the mare put down if she was suffering.

I have a little bit different perspective, I've been a burn patient before...was badly burned on my hands and legs from a grease fire working in a restaurant. The most difficult portion of the healing (at least for me) was the first 1-2 weeks. After that, it wasn't really that painful, I just had to be careful to keep my wounds clean and well lubricated to aid in the healing. Also, keeping out of the sun and away from heat was very important.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle