The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question TOTW for large breed puppy?

5 month old black lab has been on a large breed puppy food since he was 8 weeks old. Yesterday he decided he didn't really want it much at all, would nibble but was a task to get him to eat his full meal (which in all fairness is 2 cups 3X a day... no he is not even close to chubby... puppy is going to eat me out of a home). Prior to yesterday he'd gobble it up and be fine. It's not a new bag of puppy food, he's been eating off this bag for about a week a half. He did loose his to top large carnasal puppy teeth the day before that. Figured maybe the hard food just hurt to eat, so we tried wetting it down to soften it up. No dice. I will add that we are dealing with giardia (joy...), but we've been dealing with it for awhile and started a new treatment regime yesterday but not before the eating issue started.

Usually my husband feeds the puppy and then when I get up I feed the other dog and the cat. Other dog, a corgi, is on TOTW. Usually when I feed her I throw him a few pieces that scatter and he wonders around picking them up. Did that today and as usually he gobbled them up. So I threw out his soaked food which he hadn't eaten and mixed half cup TOTW and half cup his puppy, dry, and he woffed it down. I'm convinced it's his puppy food.

So large breed dog on TOTW? I looked up the nutritional info online and the protein is lower on the TOTW by like 3%, fat is higher by 2% and there is like a 0.2% higher difference on the calcium.

What is a TOTW? Why are you using some texty word of TOTW?

Back to the topic: You could start decreasing the lab puppy's puppy food -slowly -and incorporate the adult food -slowly.
    Quite a few years ago, I had a rottie puppy, he came from the breeder on a puppy food but taken off of it soon after I got because I did not want to deal with bone growth issues. And it worked out fine.

Default TOTW

Is a common abbreviation for Taste Of The Wild, a popular high quality kibble.

OP, three meals a day is alot for a 6 mo. old puppy. That is about the time that they start to refuse a meal. I would go to two meals a day at this point.

I agree w/Mr. Winston about twice a day but I'd also just try another puppy food. Our JRT - beside people food - was not interested in his little kibbles meant for little dogs. He loved our Golden's big chunks. No biggie - we fed him that. Are you that attached to that brand? Just switch him 1/2 & 1/2 for a couple of days. You could also add some of the classics - cottage cheese, scrambled egg...

the calcium is on the high side in most of the TOTW formulas for a large-breed rapidly growing puppy- generally you want it around 1.1 to 1.5% or you can cause unpleasant bone growth disorders.
    Check any puppy food you buy, even ones that claim they are for large-breed puppies, because many offer incorrect levels. And also note that many foods are listing the "minimum" calcium content on the bag and don't offer the maximum level, so it may also be not appropriate for your puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post

OP, three meals a day is alot for a 6 mo. old puppy. That is about the time that they start to refuse a meal. I would go to two meals a day at this point.
    I disagree. My 3 yr old female Dobe is still on 3 meals per day. She NEVER refuses a meal!
    I'd rather divide the meals up so they a) don't eat so much per meal and b) don't go so long on an empty stomach.

When my JRT was a pup, I took my vet a bag of TOTW so he could look at the ingredients and values and tell me if it was ok to feed him as a puppy. He thought it looked great and didn't think it would be an issue, granted a JRT is not a large breed dog.
    I feed my dogs twice daily, but they are "grazers" and don't just stand at the bowl and eat until it's all gone (a pet peeve of mine). Many times, when I get home from work, they still have food left in their bowls after not being fed since 6am. I don't feed them a large amount at one time either and they are only allowed 3 treats a day.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Default Whatever works for you

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    I disagree. My 3 yr old female Dobe is still on 3 meals per day. She NEVER refuses a meal!
    I'd rather divide the meals up so they a) don't eat so much per meal and b) don't go so long on an empty stomach.
    I've been heavily involved in agility and canine competition for about 15 years and don't know of one dog that is fed three times a day after puppyhood. They usually start to back off of the mid day meal by themselves. I suppose if you just cut down on the three meals you could keep their appetite up. For competition and training it would be hard to schedule a third meal safely and without cutting down on food drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    I've been heavily involved in agility and canine competition for about 15 years and don't know of one dog that is fed three times a day after puppyhood. They usually start to back off of the mid day meal by themselves. I suppose if you just cut down on the three meals you could keep their appetite up. For competition and training it would be hard to schedule a third meal safely and without cutting down on food drive.
    She has NO problem with food drive! I train her in obedience & rally and all I ever use for training is her dog food and trust me she never gets tired of it even with 3 meals/day. She eats 4 cups of Orijen a day and I really don't like giving 2 cups per feeding so I split it 3 ways.