The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Thumper, World’s Coolest Rabbit

This afternoon I found my bunny, Thumper, dead in the arena. He was a very cool bunny. I brought him home six years ago and set him up in a wire cage in the barn. I would turn him loose in Murphy’s stall (no horse in there!) so he could run around for exercise and play with the dogs. Soon I bought him a deluxe bunny hutch and moved him into a 5x7 dog kennel. He seemed happy there until last fall when he kept trying to escape when I opened the gate to feed him. One day, when I couldn’t catch him, I decided to leave him loose. He loved it!

He kept mostly to the barn and arena and would snuggle with the barn cats when it got cold. He absolutely adored my Boer/Alpine goats and would jump through the cattle panels to share their hay or just lay out in the sun with them. I also have two Nigerian Dwarf goats and he would run and play with them and share their grain. He’d come running in the morning when I went to feed and would follow me around as I did chores. I tripped over him more than once.

Just yesterday he was hanging out in the arena with me while I rode. He was laying next to the stock tank and seemed a bit hot even though it was only in the 60s. I saw him this morning and gave him a little scritch on the forehead, his favorite spot. It appears he died of natural causes while out in the arena snacking on weeds. I’ll miss him.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

RIP Thumper

Sounds like he was a great bunny

I am so sorry about the loss of your bunny. It sounds like he had a wonderful life and lots of friends. Hugs to you.

Poor bunny. Sounds like he had a fantastic life. I love my Oreo bunny.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I agree, sounds like a great life for a bunny. RIP Thumper.

I had a bunny who was very similar. He tunneled out of his (empty) horse stall and was loose in the neighborhood (more horse paddocks) for two weeks until someone saw him and called me. Shortly thereafter, I walked into the stall (now bunny proofed) and found him dead. A necropsy showed nothing unusual Gandalf was a very excellent chinchilla gray California Giant. In the words of the Scottish groom who found him in his paddock, "Thot is a fooking big rabbit!"

RIP Thumper.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Sorry for your loss, RIP Thumper.

RIP Thumper! Sounds like you gave him a great life.

RIP, Thumper. Wish I had the place for my bunny Fifa to free-range, she would love it.