The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof Issue...Read threads, now terrified!!

Ok guys, I noticed a hole in my horse's hoof today, sent a photo to my farrier who said it might be a double (aka false) sole. Came here, searched for it, found multiple horror stories!

So despite the fact that this may be nothing and I will get a wide array of opinions, I'm freaked out, so I'm posting.

If I've correctly linked a photo (first time!), you can see a hole directly above (on the photo) his frog. It's too small to get a hoof pick down in there. Horse isn't lame. Sole and frog are rock hard. Other foot (both front feet), is rock hard but with sort of a thicker sole around the outside of the bottom of hoof and then regular sole a couple cm's deeper around the frog.

Any thoughts? I didn't think a dry foot was a bad thing until I read some threads. Not I'm kicking myself for not noticing a rock hard frog.

Hope this link works:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1085155...20568789/Hoof#

Any comments from I'm being ridiculous to I'm a bad mommy are okay to say!

Horse is due for shoes; farrier coming out next week.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by GimmeQs; May. 9, 2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Edited to say: absolutely no fluid coming from hole.

"Hie thee to your farrier" was the correct first response.
    I've written the vet here in Haiti and posted threads about thick sole issues on my guy, you have company in Mommyland! No drainage, no lameness, farrier says don't worry, then most likely you're just having a Mommy moment. Keep the feet picked and keep an eye on it for any changes, ask the farrier if he wants feet soaked the day he comes/kept out of mud, whatever, and do that. He should be fine.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Looked at your pic. Though I have never had a horse with exactly that condition, I feel you are being quick on the terrified thing.
    Take a deep breath and let your farrier have a look.
    Then, if you are still stressed, call your vet.
    Is your horse even lame?
    Calm down and remember that this is just a bunch of opinions on a computer screen, with no more qualifications needed than the ability to type (as slowly as you like LOL).
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Diagnosis by Internet Forum is always risky . If your horse is sound and you are comfortable waiting for your farrier, I'd do that. Otherwise, call your vet and have them come out sooner.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Well, for starters, a false sole is not a "horror" LOL

Secondly, I would say that isn't false sole, but merely a large buildup of exfoliating sole that is just BEGGING to come out.

False sole generally look quite like real sole, on the surface.

Stick your hoof pick under there and pop it out.

Ok, ok, maybe "terrified" is a little much! But it did get attention.. And I was/am pretty worried, what with Internet opinions (taken with a grain of salt) varying from "whatever you do, pop it out ASAP" to "whatever you do DON'T pop it out ASAP", it's easy to get wrapped up in hysterics, isn't it!

I'm now more concerned about this being a nutrition issue ~ I've had the horse for one year. I contacted his previous owner and she said that the horse has been prone to having overly soft feet. Why would one develop a double/false sole? His living conditions (climate, area of country etc) are similar... Hmmph. Will ask farrier.

However, in my searching threads I think somebody said seeing a double sole all of a sudden is a result of a very big change in conditions since the horse's last shoeing, or a farrier who hasn't been looking at his work. So now I'm not sure if I can trust my farrier. But of course, I don't know if this is said 'double sole' to begin with!

Horse's former owner said to treat it like a potential abscess ~ soak, salt, bandage, etc but I think that's excessive. Maybe. Probably. :/

Thanks for your opinions!

It's not a nutrition issue It's common in shod horses to build up dead sole, as there is less - sometimes much less, depending on the footing the horse lives/works on - ground contact to wear away sole as it's shedding.

I've seen my horses go from what looks like nice sole, nice sole, nice sole, when it's dry, to suddenly chunking out quarter- and silver dollar-sized chunks of dead sole 1/8 to, occasionally, 1/4" thick when we finally get rain.

Don't soak. Not necessary in this case based on what this looks like.

How long have those shoes been on?

In other words how long ago was he shod?

I think it looks cool and would love to pry it out of there
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

It's fun doing that prying isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I think it looks cool and would love to pry it out of there
    Well YA!