The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bleeding out of nose after death?

A new one for me.

Wonderful old horse passed away this weekend.
    Upon waiting for him to be buried he started bleeding out of the nose. Thick red, goopy blood. Not right aways but a few hours later.

What was this? Anyone have experiences with this?

(More info. horse was 42 yrs. old. no knows problems besides being old. Before passing was breathing really hard than not breathing at all. Thought he was gone but than she would start up with heavy breathing again.)

Question

Blood from the lungs?

Bleeding in lungs caused heavy breathing?

Cause? Ruptured aneurysm, tumor,?

Never know for sure without a necropsy.

My condolences. At 42 he sounds like he had a great life, and great care!!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I don't know about the bleeding, but so sorry for your loss.

Dead things don't bleed. Sounds like a long day. I'm sorry for your loss and glad the old guy had such a nice long life.

You would be surprised what comes out of orfaces after death.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

That's probably true. I'm sure there is a lot of oozing. From what I understand, to bleed you need blood pressure which means you need the heart pumping. Doesn't specify if the horse was euthanised, but the OP sort of sounds like the horse spent some time lingering. Sounds more like a long decline with some fits and starts. A long day.

Sorry for your loss. ((hugs)))

Yes, all sorts of stuff comes out of all sorts of places after death; poo, urine, and, depending upon the extent of decomposition and the atmospheric conditions, blood and fluid can come out of noses, ears, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    That's probably true. I'm sure there is a lot of oozing. From what I understand, to bleed you need blood pressure which means you need the heart pumping. Doesn't specify if the horse was euthanised, but the OP sort of sounds like the horse spent some time lingering. Sounds more like a long decline with some fits and starts. A long day.
    Poor buddy. Sounds like a sad day. OP may have seen blood clots that had started to form as well. That is pretty common with older animals that had some respiratory distress.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisesmom View Post
    You would be surprised what comes out of orfaces after death.
    this.

Once death has occured, various fluids will leak out of various orifaces.

Not something generally talked about (not as funny as a death boner).

sorry for your loss
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    A new one for me.

Wonderful old horse passed away this weekend.
    Upon waiting for him to be buried he started bleeding out of the nose. Thick red, goopy blood. Not right aways but a few hours later.

What was this? Anyone have experiences with this?

(More info. horse was 42 yrs. old. no knows problems besides being old. Before passing was breathing really hard than not breathing at all. Thought he was gone but than she would start up with heavy breathing again.)
    great age, when mussle relaxed and they die, the pee and pooh and if suffering ffrom internal stuff like this boy/girl which we cant see as often or not unless you got a huge money pit cost a fortune to have the horse xrayed or looked at for this and that and sometimes its hidden anyways as soft tissue on soft tissue doesnt show up and what ever lurking whats runny like wee or blood then will come out at an exit area, this can be from nose mouth eyes, bum, willie, boobs, etc as thye are holes in the body .. so not unusal seen it far to often when i have had pts horses and smaller animals due to old age myself and humans do the same thing, as everything is let go
    and the body is dead so it cant hold onto anything that fluid

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Actually it was a short day per say. He went down and said "this is it, I am done here". He would have passed on his own but I would never allow that so the vet came and put him to sleep. It "felt" like his heart was stopping and starting again on and off 2-3 times while waiting for, and when the vet came.

I was thinking like someone else mentioned a lung issue he may have had? Due to the way he was breathing. In and out so hard and then nothing at all.. I thought maybe there was a clot/tumor/something that burst. Would a heart attack cause nose bleeding I wonder? I felt his heart was just giving out. He was not sick at all, no colic signs. Ate dinner like always. I guess I will never know.

At his age could have been anything but I never saw this before after a horse was put down.

It was a very sad day. This guy's been with us for a very long time... He had the best possible life. Thank you for your condolences.

When I lost my 33 year old I realised I had really never known life without him. Your horse must have had excellent care and a love of life to have made it to 42. Again, my condolences on losing him.

Thank you Smart Alex... I left the barn this morning and said see you later boy... like I have done for the last 35 years.. only to see him not there.. I shook my head and said get a grip me!

Hugs - it is always too soon- even at age 40+
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

What a lucky boy to have you. Don't dwell on the after affects.
    Hugs for you and Godspeed to your boy.

Pulmonary thromboembolism ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

It soesn't require blood pressure to bleed, just gravity and a leak somewhere. If the horse was down for a while ther was probably some blood pooling in the head/neck/sinuses, etc. And when the tissues start to break down, boom--lots of fluids leaking.

Poor old boy. Hope he's resting well.
    Click here before you buy.

On the one hand it's fantastic that you two were able to share such a huge portion of your lives together but that just makes it that much harder to say goodbye. I know your pain all too well. Godspeed.