The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need ideas and jingles!!!

Went out to the barn tonight to check on my mare and she had serious diarrhea - think cow pie - nothing changed in her diet... Only change around the barn has been they moved a horse from the other side of the barn across from my mare... Because of the diarrhea I decided not to ride but when I went to put her blanket on I reached for the leg strap and she clenched her tail and like arched her back - I have seen Chiros push on them on the hind end and get them to do this... I thought maybe I just spooked her so I took her blanket off and rubbed her hind end and her insides and outsides of her legs and got no reaction but when I went to pick up her tail she did it again... What could be causing this??. I called the vet and talked to them twice (of course the one I am not the fondest of is on call tonight) and she said to keep a eye on her make sure she is eating and drinking which she is and on the final call told me to give her some bute (I only had banimine on hand) and if she is not looking better in the morning to call them and they will get someone out there to look at her... Part of me wished they would have come out but it seemed like the vet didn't think it was an emergency because she was eating well pooping and drinking... So please send jingles my way that its nothing and she will be feeling better tomorrow or if you have ever seen anything like this what it is... Thanks in advance...

Another thing I can add is her udders have seemed kind of swollen but no heat and no dripping so the vet was scheduled to come out Wednesday to look at that... I didnt know if it was a side effect of spring and being on regumate...

Errrr... I am a bit concerned about the bute/banamine part... Definately get a hold of your normal vet first thing in the am..
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Errrr... I am a bit concerned about the bute/banamine part... Definately get a hold of your normal vet first thing in the am..
    Are you concerned because I gave her banamine instead or bute or that they suggested it?? Thanks EqTrainer - no worries that vet is supposed to have emailed the office to call me right at 8 to see what the schedules look like.... I have not stopped crying for 4 hours... Ugggg..

Its so scary when there is nothing you can do to help them but you can see something is wrong but you dont know what it is....

Its just that with an unknown reason for diarrhea NSAIDS are usually avoided.

Look... There are a gozillion possible reasons for it, most of them no big deal, chances are yours will fall into the big deal zone. If you can, check on her and make sure she has no fever, that is important, make sure her feet arent hot and that she is walking ok. Clean her butt up, no lady likes poop on her rear end. Then have a cocktail if all seems ok and go to sleep so you are fresh and ready to deal with things in the morning. If you have some Biosponge, you can give her that.

Hugs to you.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Call a vet.