The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This... is why David O'Connor is a GREAT coach!

Just read Sinead's post-Rolex blog. Read the excerpt below. A great coach knows excactly what, and how much to say in a stressful situation. This was perfect! I am so excited for American Eventing!

"As I trotted down to the ring, I looked at David, who winked and said, “It’s just like at home—we do this all the time.” From Sinead's post-Rolex blog.

Ruh-roh....I would prefer to attribute Sineads' excellent placing on her talent, hard work, great horse, great groom, supportive parent and William Fox-Pitt's guidance and support, than a kind sentence from a former employer as she went in the ring. Her efforts at Rolex were a couple of years of hard work in the making! While I am not sure what his role was -- and that actually isn't any of my business, I suppose -- I would much rather consider Sineads' riding and efforts the "great part", no matter who she was relying upon. If he did coach her -- good for him. (But not quite "great", in my opinion). Lots of coaches know what to say, and when. That's not a "great" attribute; it's an expected skill. I guess I'm not wowed by DOC this spring, since the Badminton crew did so poorly.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1516 is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

Uh, did you read my post? Where did I attribute her performance to David's comment?? All I said was it was a great comment. Maybe your reading comprehension needs a bit of work?

Default Sinead's own description:

According to her own webiste, Sinead was more than just an employee. It sounds like her experience at OCET was quite formative and David clearly thinks highly of her according to his quote.

"[An] earlier meeting with O'Connor led Sinead to High Acre, home to the O'Connor Equestrian Team (OCET). Her experience as part of one of the most prestigious eventing teams in the world is one she still regards with great respect and appreciation. Under the watchful eye of David and Karen O'Connor, both US Olympians, Sinead was transformed from a kid with blind ambition to an educated and passionate professional.

While part of the OCET, she had access to the top vets, farriers and horsemen in the world. This fed the business side of her riding career, and strengthened her new position as a partner in Dunlavin Eventing, a venture that specialized in importing top sport horses for re-sale. On the competition front, she was riding everything from babies to seasoned Advanced horses. Her achievements included a multitude horse trial wins, becoming a member of the United States
    Equestrian Team Developing Rider Program and winning
    Tommy and Sinead Win Radnor** the prestigious Radnor Hunt National Two Star Championships."

“I met Sinead when she was an 18 year old learning the ropes of this sport. In the time I've known her, I've watched her grow from being an outgoing, aggressive young rider to a solid professional with real talent and finesse. She’s perservered through the ups and downs of this sport and come out stronger and more focused than ever.’’ David O'Connor
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I just hope DOC can improve things. I was a JW hopeful but that ship has sailed. I'm going to get behind the DOC with every ounce I have and pray! Canada looks pretty good these days and I was talking to a member of the Canadian Team at Mid-South last fall and she was so, so happy with his coaching. If it works, he could be wonderful and around for a long time. Crossing my fingers! As a child of the late 70's-80's, watching our team flounder for so long has been heartbreaking. Go DOC & Go Eventing.

We have a coach right now who needs support before DOC needs it. He is still the Canadian coach for another year and half. I'm not drinking the Koolaid quite yet.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Agreed. I truly hope they have their best Olympics ever. I've met 3 of the WEG riders and they were so fabulous. Go Canada!

I think DOC did a great job with the Canadian team and I think (hope?) he'll do the same for us. He's a very likeable guy. That's the kind of "no big deal" comment that can really help settle nerves. It is, after all, just a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    It is, after all, just a sport.

With huge overheads and expense....

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

As well as careers, reputations etc
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Not to step into the fray and I have no opinion on the matter, but David did use to coach Sinead as well as Rebecca Howard and Clark Montgomery. Anyone remember the show, "Inside Eventing"?
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I'm guessing what Sinead was getting at is that he calmed her down. She's worked really hard but tends to do the paralysis by analysis kind of thing. He popped her head out of that. That's all she probably meant. She hasn't publicly stated anything about the next Chef to be so I doubt we should speculate about that.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Ruh-roh....I would prefer to attribute Sineads' excellent placing on her talent, hard work, great horse, great groom, supportive parent and William Fox-Pitt's guidance and support, than a kind sentence from a former employer as she went in the ring. Her efforts at Rolex were a couple of years of hard work in the making! While I am not sure what his role was -- and that actually isn't any of my business, I suppose -- I would much rather consider Sineads' riding and efforts the "great part", no matter who she was relying upon. If he did coach her -- good for him. (But not quite "great", in my opinion). Lots of coaches know what to say, and when. That's not a "great" attribute; it's an expected skill. I guess I'm not wowed by DOC this spring, since the Badminton crew did so poorly.
    Really, retread? I think your post is very telling. It is certainly very clear that you would prefer to attribute any part of Sinead's success to anyone but David O'Connor. We are obviously in no place to figure which of her previous coaches and mentors played what role in her development, and I agree that Sinead deserves to have the credit given to her and her lovely horse, but you seem very determined to overlook and ignore any facts that don't quite fit your POV on DOC, which appears to be quite negative from this and other posts.

You obviously are entitled to your opinion and you can dislike DOC all you want, but you might try and be a little aware of your bias.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    As well as careers, reputations etc
    Well and justly said. I often wonder at times, why God hath smote (smiteth?) me with a passion for eventing.
    Tennis? Golf? Nay. Too easy, way too easy. Ah well, I must say I can't imagine not doing it now!

I definately don't dislike DOC... I think he has done great things with our team. Canada is doing quite well and we have alot of younger riders doing very well.

I don't really think he is the perfect person to have the extra power being chef for the USA though... Simply because I think it is a more influential position on eventing as a whole. And I think someone more with Woffords influence and opinion would be more beneficial to eventing as a whole.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    We have a coach right now who needs support before DOC needs it. He is still the Canadian coach for another year and half. I'm not drinking the Koolaid quite yet.
    I REALLY wish people would stop referring to 'drinking the Koolaid' when alluding to supporting DOC. People who support DOC and his coaching are neither delusional nor brainwashed, as this idiom seems to suggest. It's fine if you disagree with him or his methods, but it is not fine to casually and passive aggressively insult those who do by implying they have no idea what they are doing.

Maybe a better analogy would be that of Danny Warrington's, with the three political parties being the O'Connorists, Duttonians, and the Davidsonites, with the strong independent party of the Woffordians. I'd sincerely hate to see the eventing world devolve into the vitriol of politics of the current day though.

On another note, congrats to Sinead, I nearly cried when she did. Such an amazing accomplishment!

Damn. A trainwreck thread begins just when my eye-rolly button has run out of eye rolls. Oh wait, no, I had one left. :eyeroll:
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Not to step into the fray and I have no opinion on the matter, but David did use to coach Sinead as well as Rebecca Howard and Clark Montgomery. Anyone remember the show, "Inside Eventing"?
    Yes. Remember the show well. I remember Rebecca Howard was riding Dexter Wong, Clark I recall had a horse with name had "Fox' in it. Sinead I am not sure. Having followed their progress on EN (via videos and interviews) I was struck by how much all of them had matured since the making of the series. I am sure the ups and downs they've been through in this sport would do that though.

P.S. I remember reading somewhere it was was David O'Connor who told Sinead to go train with William Fox-Pitt and made the introduction. Check out the Rolex Final Day press conference (on the USEA website) and you will see Sinead and William speaking of it....

http://useventing.com/blog/?p=15833
    Last edited by Regal Grace; May. 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM.