The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So I think I just "acquired" a lower level prospect...

My dressage horse (OTTB) was competing at Training and schooling Prelim with all indications he easily had the scope for Advanced... but that he just didn't really enjoy the x-country. I was looking for a dressage horse I could maybe play around jumping with, and I know I could event him lower levels... but his scope intimidates me a bit! He also will do anything I ask, and I can see his lack of self-preservation letting us get into a bad situation if I screwed up x-country. I've still kind of wanted to do baby eventing, though, especially since my trainer's focus is more on eventing than just dressage.

In steps my mom's horse. She kind of fell into our laps last year. She had been out in a field for about a year without any work, so was super out of shape. She's a Friesian/Andalusian cross who naturally trots rather than canters, and that out of shape cantering was HARD for her at first! But she's a fun little girl. She and Mom... just aren't working out. I had been looking for a second horse for myself, because I need more saddle time - but at Mom's announcement that she was giving up, I figured we should look for a horse for her instead, and I can play with her girl.

She was previously used as a school horse for hunter riders - most likely mostly jumping x-rails, but jumping anyway. Our trainer jumped her once, and she started off with a "what the heck?!" out of surprise at being pointed to a jump, but after that it was all ears forward, pulling toward them. No balking over anything more solid looking or anything.

She hasn't ever done x-country that we know of, but her personality says she will likely love it. I'll work with her and get her happy about going out alone first, get her back in shape since we never wanted to get her too fit for my mom, and see about going schooling with my trainer. Or maybe set up some jumps to school for myself around home - I bet I will find natural obstacles to use, too. There are thousands of acres of public land around us, including an area where racehorse folks keep a track in good shape, sandy washes, and hilly grazing land. I'm actually kind of excited about this!

Here's what Bella looked like when we first got her - clearly healthy, but SUPER out of shape:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/...79da6ba0f0.jpg

Cantering w/ me in Mom's hideous synthetic saddle, at the same time when she was out of shape, and not strong enough to reach forward/down yet (which she NEEDS to do with her build to really use the right muscles, at least for now):
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/...4cb7cab0f0.jpg

I think this means I'll be buying a new jumping saddle in the future... my nearly-nothing close contact I used on my QH fits her, but isn't the most substantial for going x-country in!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

sounds fun!

I've just found the Duett Foxhunter. It's quite nice and is very secure.

I'm guessing a F/A cross would need a very wide saddle. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    sounds fun!

I've just found the Duett Foxhunter. It's quite nice and is very secure.

I'm guessing a F/A cross would need a very wide saddle. : )
    She's not that wide! And only 15hh. Despite her FSH registration, we kind of find the Andalusian half slightly dubious- whether that's purebred or not. She moves flatter than we'd expect, but has the lateral cattiness of the Andalusian. And what I'm told is the Friesian spook to go with it. My dressage saddle is a pretty average width (a medium wide according to the brand, but typical of a medium width), and my jumping saddle is a wide, but still fits her pretty well - it was made for a round QH, so similar. She's about the same width as my OTTB and takes up the same amount of my leg, but he's 7" taller, so there is a difference there.

She's gorgeous! I agree with your plan, you take mom's horse & get mom a new horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    She's gorgeous! I agree with your plan, you take mom's horse & get mom a new horse!
    Especially given she was willing to just give her away to a good home!

I was looking for a bigger mover to really help get my core in better shape since my horse's trot is ENORMOUS if I sit properly, but I figure lots of trot sets at the sitting trot should help me, too, once she's strong enough over the topline that sitting is fair to her. Plus lateral work is easy for her and my horse's biggest problem, so I'll get to work on my ability to ride it with her and that'll help me.

I have a hunch within a few years she'll be Mom's horse again, too... that we'll be getting an old nearly-ready-to-retire horse for her, and when it's done with riding she'll be ready to come back to Bella. And if so, that'll be great - I still think they could be a great match, but right now there's a mental block on both sides so they just aren't at the moment.