The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are the chances baby was lost?

My mare was bred at SO barn (AI) on Fri. I got a call yesterday (Sun) that my mare didn't look so good in the a.m. So SO brought her up to the barn checked her temp and she had a slight fever. No cuts, scrapes or any other obvious places for an infection. She was eating and drinking, but just not her happy-go-lucky self. SO gave her a bit of Banamine, some antibiotics, and a bath, she also called the vet who is coming out today. She managed to get her fever down to normal temp within a few hours yesterday.
    Just wondering what the honest chances are that she is still preggers if she even was to begin with??? SO sounded confident that we had a good follicle on Fri and that she would probably take so it would suck to loose it 3 days in because of this.

Well, considering the conceptus would not even made it down to the uterus yet, I think you might still have a pregnancy.

THe actual conception takes place in the fallopian tubes, then works it's way down over the course of 4-5 days.

THen it free floats around for another period of time till it finally attaches to the uterus.

The only thing I would NOT have done is give antibiotics willy-nilly. Let the mare's own immune system fight a slight fever (which it can do, and do well) and just give her support -- rest, good food, low stress, etc.

The Banamine was a good choice, but I'd keep her off the antibiotics unless there is a clear use for them specific to the disorder.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Well, considering the conceptus would not even made it down to the uterus yet, I think you might still have a pregnancy.

THe actual conception takes place in the fallopian tubes, then works it's way down over the course of 4-5 days.

THen it free floats around for another period of time till it finally attaches to the uterus.

The only thing I would NOT have done is give antibiotics willy-nilly. Let the mare's own immune system fight a slight fever (which it can do, and do well) and just give her support -- rest, good food, low stress, etc.

The Banamine was a good choice, but I'd keep her off the antibiotics unless there is a clear use for them specific to the disorder.

Good luck.
    Thanks, antibiotics weren't my idea, but I think she gave them to her because my mare is pron to intrauterine infections and I think she was trying her best to be proactive so I can't be mad. My main concern is a low grade fever enough to kill a new little conceptus? Hopefully not. I appreciate the response.

A fever early in pregnancy is enough to "kill" the conceptus. However, it isn't a 100% sure thing; some mares can be very sick early in pregnancy and keep the pregnancy. Others can have what seems like a minor illness, or even injury, and they lose the pregnancy. I wouldn't worry at this point; there isn't anything you can do about it; keep your fingers crossed for the 14 day check.

FWIW oral/injectable antibiotics are not very effective at all in fighting intra-uterine infections, so I wouldn't go that route.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

BTW, what was her actual temp? Was it taken twice a day (morning & eve)? Was there much variation? How long did she run the temp?

And what was the temp outside?