So Friday at a dressage clinic my mare Revi seemed a little off.... hoof testers showed sore in the outside left heel right in the bar area. Must be deep because no redness or sign of an abcess. I've pulled the shoe and soaked and poulticed with an Animalintex pad.... no improvement yet.
We were entered at the P3D at VA this weekend, which has been my goal all season.... so this is very frustrating.....
All you can do is what you are doing...combination of wet and dry....ice and cold hose, then poultice; also, if you think it may be an abcess to get it open better soak in HOT water, with epsom salts, the hottest she will stand in, 20 min. at a time (3 x day)
Animalintex if you get something that looks like infection, an open spot or whatever. but to get it OUT (if abcess) you have to stress it with the hot/cold/dry it up/open it up method.
...try to avoid carving on the foot if you can help it, the more horn you remove the harder it is to get them back unsore quickly....don't let farrier and vet cut up foot quite yet...
If not an abcess then without an obvious sign of over-reach (cut place or bruised spot) then you have to sigh get an exray.
But being just the day before the jog...you may be out of luck. I've had to scratch from 3 long format CCI* for similar issues. My horse would ALWAYS pull a shoe and get a bruise or abcess the week before/of. Even if I could get him sound enough to pass the first jog, I never thought he would be sound enough after xc to pass the second and so would scratch. Not worth them getting hurt if they start favoring that foot.
** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **
Remember you are running the PRELIM 3 day, which means you are still under USEF rules and NOT (thankfully) FEI. So, if you need to medicate or treat, you don't have to worry about institutionalizing yourself for fear of messing with some cryptic, hard to understand FEI medication rule!
What a bummer. Will be sending her healing thoughts so hopefully you won't have to miss out!
Ashley Kehoe's Rebound hoof packing is safe for competition - like during the competition. It's some sticky icky stuff and supposedly people really like it and use it. I used it on my horse just for grins and giggles but he didn't have an issue.
You can get it at Saddlery Liquidators or BoB http://www.bitofbritain.com/SearchRe...Search=rebound
Magic Cushion is wonderful stuff, I would start using it..
In-line with what YB says, and BF touches on, I have mixed feelings about medicating for a 3-day, not sure how you get through all the extra phases with hoof-soreness, but Arquel is a drug that I've had good luck with. That combined with Magic Cushion can speed the recovery process.
There's always another day, even if the true 3-days are hard to come by...
Last edited by goodmorning; May. 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Just for clarification, I wasn't really promoting medicating to mask the mare's pain. With FEI's very, very strict and often times complicated drugs and medication rules, it can be VERY nerve racking even using minor and very common treatments because you never know what they will decide is BAD. With the USEF rules, you can treat things without so much nervousness over what may or may not be banned!
Also keep in mind once you're there that the x-c is hilly and some horses come off of x-c with sore feet. All the going across hills and up and down them. So keep that in mind in your decision making process.
And look, it's not like a tendon issue. It's a bruise - so do everything possible to get rid of the darned thing!
Thanks everyone.... she DOES have a red spot on the bulb of her heel right where it meets the pastern, could have overreached and I guess effusion from that pooling in the bars area could cause soreness in the hoof?
Yeah, as I was saying to someone else I could make a whipacross bar shoe with a floated heel and a hospital plate or something and she'd be sound enough to pass the jog up, but I would shoot myself if she hurt herself because she started compensating halfway around xc (and she would never DREAM of stopping or favoring it visibly.... ) so I think I will save myself the gas money and 9 hours of driving and scratch.... but giving it until tomorrow just in case an abcess pops up!!
Oh no! I'm so sorry about your mare What you are dealing with right now is what I've been losing sleep over for the last week. If I could bubble wrap my guy, it definitely would have been done!
There are only 6 of us entered in the P3D, and I was hoping that all of us would make it there
I'm crossing my fingers that she magically feels fantastic in the morning! I was looking forward to meeting another COTHer