The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can a horse become a cribber when never in a stall?

Just wondering.....never had one ...but I know cribbing can often be caused from nerves, or too much time in a stall. Has anyone ever had a horse become a cribber that was only turned out on a grass pasture??
    A friend went to see a horse to possibly buy today, that turned out to be a cribber and was a big, QUIET 6 yr old QH. It just didn't add up when she was told the story!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

In answer to the question, yes.

G.

Yup, happened with my filly I raised since birth. She was an unbroke 2 year old when she started cribbing out of the blue-- turned out 24/7 on good pasture, plenty of hay, fed a ration balancer most of her life, buddies for socializing, no signs of stress, etc.

I had her scoped and no sign of ulcers.

Just my luck, I suppose. *shrugs*
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Cribbing can be caused by a lot of things... boredom is certainly one, but stress, ulcers, [poor] nutrition, pain and even mimicry are also cited as reasons. So in answer to the question, yes a horse on 24/7 T/O can still pick up cribbing.

Cribbing has a genetic component. Horses that are genetically predisposed to be cribbers will crib, even when not stressed. So, to say that cribbing is caused by stress, poor nutrition, boredom, pain, mimicry or anything else is incorrect. Those things can increase cribbing or cause the "gene" to manifest (horse starts cribbing), however they do not cause cribbing by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    Cribbing has a genetic component. Horses that are genetically predisposed to be cribbers will crib, even when not stressed. So, to say that cribbing is caused by stress, poor nutrition, boredom, pain, mimicry or anything else is incorrect. Those things can increase cribbing or cause the "gene" to manifest (horse starts cribbing), however they do not cause cribbing by themselves.
    Exactly!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Apparently, yes- We had a yearling (or 2y/o? I forget) a few years ago that was out 24/7 for a few months, when we started bringing her in for feeding/etc (short time in the barn, with food, regular pasturemates, etc, and same barn she'd been in 12/12 prior to her 24/7 in the field) and she started cribbing. Not a single other horse onthe farm cribbed at the time, so she didn't "learn" it, none of her "family" are/were cribbers either... She didn't seem stressed at all, just would crib...

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    Thank you!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I've always thought cribbing is similar to either an addiction/addictive personality or an OCD type behavior/personality.

Not just a sign of boredom or discomfort. Some crib just because they'd crib anyway. Just like some people bite their nails or whatever. Habit forming mixed with an addictive trait or compulsive trait.

Some may give it up when not stressed or not in pain or not bored. Some start without any of those triggers and continue no matter what/where.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I've always thought cribbing is similar to either an addiction/addictive personality or an OCD type behavior/personality.

Not just a sign of boredom or discomfort. Some crib just because they'd crib anyway. Just like some people bite their nails or whatever. Habit forming mixed with an addictive trait or compulsive trait.

Some may give it up when not stressed or not in pain or not bored. Some start without any of those triggers and continue no matter what/where.
    I bought a weanling a while back that started cribbing when he was weaned.

He has always been a mild cribber, doesn't try when the collar is on and doesn't do it when turned out to pasture.

He didn't have ulcers but when I owned him he would occasionally have the runs for very brief periods of time for no discernible reason. I remember reading one theory somewhere about cribbing being related to some type of dysfunction in the hindgut but it's been a long time, I don't remember the details. That seemed plausible in the case of this particular horse.

Yeah cribbing is not caused by a horse being stalled.

My young 6 yr. old quiet horse is a cribber... and... never in a stall since birth

YEs, and cribbing has NOTHING to do with whether or not a horse is QUIET. I have has several cribbers, that were the quietest, easiest horses to deal with. I have also had some cribbers in my barn (not my own horses) that were nervous tense type horses. Cribbing has little to do with the disposition of the horse. We had a weanling learn to crib that was on 24/7 turnout, neither parents cribbed and no horses on the farm that cribbed. Just happens!

A friend of mine got an Arab gelding that had never been kept in a stall. Cribbed from day one. We know the breeder he came from. He was just a fluke. He was super cute tho!
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

I live next to a herd of about 300 horses in a 1200 acre pasture full of grass. The fence is entirely barbed wire and t-posts except for one rocky corner that has a wood brace for a gate-there is one horse that will stand there all by his lonesome apart from all the other horses and crib on that wood all day long. I always wonder about him-it seems especially neurotic in a situation like that!

We have had several horses come in from the track that didn't crib and and months later once on the farm they started to crib. I don't mind a cribber..heck all my best horses are cribbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    We have had several horses come in from the track that didn't crib and and months later once on the farm they started to crib. I don't mind a cribber..heck all my best horses are cribbers.
    All of my favorites are cribbers, too

Yes. Watch the wear on their front teeth but other than that I usually let it go unless it's crazy. I did put a strap on one that was kind of a nut about it. He turned a bit mean. I'd let it go unless excessive.

Has there actually been a gene isolated? As far as I understand it, there is thought to be a genetic component, but what that means is that such horses inherit certain personality/physical/biochemical ect characteristics that make them more likely to crib. My OO Seven gelding cribbed from a very young age prior to me buying him. I looked up 00 seven's offspring report and it does mention that a notable number of his offspring "windsuck".

Kind of like OCD. It's not that there is one gene that gets turned on or off, but that certain characteristics (fast growth, large offspring) which have a genetic basis, influence the horse's bone developement and make it more likely to develope OCD.

Really interesting Donella. I know some of one ponies 1/2 siblings and a few others crib too. We always joked it must be in the genes - I guess we were right!