The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A little celebration!

If I may

I made it through my first week back on Infliximab (an immune mediator), CellCept (a disease modifier), and Methotrexate (a chemotherapy drug)! I have pretty extensive autoimmune disease and have spent most of my life on chemotherapy and other drugs to regulate my immune system but after a very bad cancer scare, I stopped all of my treatments and went the natural route (successfully!!) for almost 3 years. Unfortunately, one of my more serious conditions (something called Posterior Scleritis) seriously flared last fall and I had to do almost 4 months of steroids to quiet the inflammation. After that, we had to wait for my kidneys to return to baseline and then it was finally time to start back on the "big guns".

The last time I began this "cocktail" (about 5 years ago), it crashed my white cells something fierce and I was essentially stuck in a "clean room" for a month while they tried to raise my white count. So this time, I took it very easy this week, let my business partner ride the horses, was very good about wearing my mask and gloves out in public, and generally rested. And I am very excited to say that except for being a little tired, I feel GOOD! And feeling good means that I can RIDE TOMORROW!! And thus a cause for celebration
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Yikes - be well!!! Jingles!!!

Yay!!! Here's hoping the Big Guns do their work and you continue to feel great. Definitely cause for celebration!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for continued success!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Glad you feel well! Hope it continues and you get to ride soon!

ETA- Is your disease (Posterior Scleritis) related at all to Scleroderma? I ask because that is what my mom was diagnosed with and she went through experimental chemo treatments (Cytoxin) with moderate success.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Jingling for continued wellness!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

ETA- Is your disease (Posterior Scleritis) related at all to Scleroderma? I ask because that is what my mom was diagnosed with and she went through experimental chemo treatments (Cytoxin) with moderate success.
    They are both autoimmune diseases, but posterior scleritis is a much more rare subset of uveitis that p affects the back of the eye/the retina/the optic nerve while scleraderma is primarily a sclerotic disorder of the skin. I actually have linear scleraderma as well (on my forehead/skull) but it's very low on my list of autoimmune issues.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

Thanks!

They are both autoimmune diseases, but posterior scleritis is a much more rare subset of uveitis that p affects the back of the eye/the retina/the optic nerve while scleraderma is primarily a sclerotic disorder of the skin. I actually have linear scleraderma as well (on my forehead/skull) but it's very low on my list of autoimmune issues.

Hoping that you continue to improve!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues