The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat who is a Picky Eater

I have four cats. Two will eat anything you put in front of them. One will eat just about anything, if she is allowed to take her time. And, then, there is Becky.

I call her my Princess Cat. She is incredibly picky about what she eats. It has to be ground, no slices or chunks. It has to be fresh from the can, no refrigerated leftovers (even heated to room temp) for her. No seafood, on pain of having her scrape all around it like she is covering up waste.

I feed mostly wet, with just a little dry as a late night snack. She has always eaten Innova Evo, with little or no problem. Occasionally, we try something else. She'll eat it until the novelty wears off, then, up goes the nose. And, now, the nose is going up at the Evo, also. Maybe Proctor and Gamble has already started the process of cheapening it, and, the Princess has noticed.

Right now, I can get her to eat Pro Plan wet food, in the small cans, though not happily. There are a couple that are grain free and I alternate them. But, I'm concerned that isn't the best quality.

I think she is trying to tell me that she wants dry food. She always scarfs that up, at night. That's what she was brought up on, before I learned that wet was much better for them. I'm concerned about switching back, because she also isn't a good drinker, won't even look at a fountain, and I don't want her to start having constipation or urinary problems. I worry because she absolutely will not eat the wet, even if she's hungry and I know that you can run into trouble if they go without food for too long.

We have gone through, Merck, Taste of the Wild and Wilderness (turkey flavor, so I suppose I could try others.)

My question is two-fold.

!. Does anyone have any ideas for a good quality wet food that she might eat?

2. Does anyone have any ideas about how to stimulate her appetite?

Thanks, from her most obedient servant.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Oh shoot, I was reading and was going to suggest Taste of the Wild. Have you tried Wellness?

Here's another suggestion you'll hate, but.....I have never had a cat turn their nose up at the disgusting Friskies/Iams/9Lives cat food. I try to feed the good food, and just force them to eat it or go hungry, but with my sick kitties who are on their way out anyway....if that's what they want to eat, they get it. (Along with tuna, milk, babyfood, whatever else they want.)

Not that Becky is "on her way out" but if she doesn't want to eat anything else...try her on the "junk food" and see if she'll eat that....at the very least, it will get the water into her. And cats do get dehydrated easily. And for what it's worth....my oldest cats lived to 25 and 21 eating nothing but the "junk food," since it was before the days that the healthy food had really caught on. They both went out like the dignified old ladies they were, just falling asleep one day.

Will she eat the dry food if it's been moistened up a bit? I'm not talking soggy, but maybe if there's a quarter cup of water or something on the bottom she'll just lick it up with the dry? (Highly unlikely, having owned a few too many princess cats myself. But worth a shot!)

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yup, I forgot about the Wellness. We tried that too. I did give her Fancy Feast for a while, before I switched to an All Cats vet and found out that a "complete" food wasn't, in many cases, all that good. She, of course, loved the Fancy Feast, and I could switch her back to that. It might even be better for my pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Yup, I forgot about the Wellness. We tried that too. I did give her Fancy Feast for a while, before I switched to an All Cats vet and found out that a "complete" food wasn't, in many cases, all that good. She, of course, loved the Fancy Feast, and I could switch her back to that. It might even be better for my pocketbook.
    Of course she loved it. Probably as much as I love eating an entire bag of chips by myself. Junk food is delicious!

My point being, though...if that's what she wants to eat, and she's pretty much not going to eat anything else...then go ahead and feed it to her. And this is coming from an avid TOTW/Wellness feeder...but sometimes you just gotta let the darn cats do what they want.

BTW: when did you last try the TOTW? They recently (last 6 mo, maybe?) came out with a new cat formula, in both wet and dry. Perhaps she would like the new flavor better?

My cats also got really picky about their wet food. Stores around here just started carrying Earthborn Holistic food, and my kitties all love it. I've been through EVO, Wellness, TOTW, Blue Buffalo. They are now chowing down on the Catalina Catch (which is fishy) and loving it, but they have non-fishy flavors too.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/

Tiki cat is always a big hit too, but I don't think the quality is quite the same as the others, IIRC.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oh, and there's a local store that carries Earthborn. It's not ground, but, I think I'll try it just the same. Who knows, maybe Princess Becky has decided that she will like that texture now. It's been years since I've tried anything that wasn't ground.

If TOTW has changed its formula, that's worth a try, also.

Thank you both for your suggestions.