The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am being held hostage by Apple....

...and I don't like it.
    After going through 3 I-Pods...OK, I drowned the last one in the washer, so only 2 count....I am sick and tired of buying them.
    Great, buy something else,right? Then, I can't play any of the music I've bought in the Itunes store because it is proprietory.
    But wait, you say...you can change the music in I Tunes to MP3 by right clicking on it and viola...download on another system. Sure! Except that anything that they've made available in the last few months that I'd want is also ACC protected, which means you have to somehow remove the registration to I Tunes, in order to use it. Yes, it CAN be done, but I'd rather not make it my life's work.....
    I don't pirate music, but ITunes is making it seem pretty interesting. At least then, I'd get it as an Mp3 and could play it on anything....
    Plus, because Apple has you by the....well, it's a family board....they can charge ANYthing they want for their IPods. I've seen a Sandisk with 64gig that is less than 1/2 of an Ipod with what...16?
    I just want to buy another product, have access to the music I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR and then be able to continue to purchase music over the net.
    Can this BE that hard???

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

May I ask what you are doing to your iPods?? I am on my third (well, iPhone but i use it as my main music device too) but the only reason I got new ones is because they are pretty The old ones work just fine still!

You could probably find a teenager to reconfigure all your music into mp3s for a hundred bucks. Put up a sign in your local music store/guitar center.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yeah, reconfiguring music is not difficult. I have any number of friends at uni who could do it for me/tell me how, I am just too lazy and don't have a reason to. I've been through 3 Ipods myself - one got old (still usable but battery sucks), 2nd damaged by water, 3rd stolen at airport security, on the 4th. That's over more than 5 years so I guess not *too* bad? I do get a lot of use out of them. The water damaged one was half replaced by apple. I think they felt bad for me, so I actually have few complaints about apple. In my defense, it was in my bag and my water bottle dripped, so it was *barely* damaged. It was even in a case!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I buy music into my computer and then download into an i-pod.
    I can always go back to my computer for what I have bought and put it wherever I want it.

I'm pretty sure you can get reconditioned Ipods on the Apple store site. At least that would be cheaper.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Exactly the reason I've never bought Apple. They have nice products, but business practices I do not want to support. And you should see some of the patents they've filed recently! No thanks, I want no part of that.

Actually I used Itunes (don't anymore because of my satellite internet download limits) to burn to CD's. And the CD's even work in my car and on my CD player that is so old it's actually a cassette player/recorder (it is at least 15 years old).

Input on the Sansa: They are really really great. I had one that I rocked the socks off of for several years...only stopped using it because I got one of the free Touches with my Macbook, and then eventually got an iPhone. But I beat on that Sansa quite a bit (I work in a greenhouse, so everything gets DIRTY, even in my pockets) and it just kept on ticking.

Re pirating music: There are online websites that will convert youtube videos to MP3s. I am not sure of the legality of it all, but at the very least you are not downloading music from clearly illegal sources. I use http://www.listentoyoutube.com

Buy your music from places like Amazon, too, for device-friendly formats. They have almost everything iTunes has (sometimes iTunes gets stuff earlier) plus more!

Really?

In my experience iPods are super durable. I've had mine- a nano for 5 years, with no problems... it was even run over by a car and it still works fine. Sometimes it doesn't want to turn off right away, or it will turn off, and then come back on, but it's not a real problem because I'll just put it on hold and it will turn off eventually.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

I can honestly say I've never killed an ipod. Lost, yes. Killed, no. Actually currently looking for mine right now I've killed plenty of phones and treat my ipods the same way so I have to say I'm very pleased with the durability of them. I will say I am an apple person and would probably buy water if they made it (just kidding )
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Quote Originally Posted by CobJockey View Post
    Exactly the reason I've never bought Apple. They have nice products, but business practices I do not want to support. And you should see some of the patents they've filed recently! No thanks, I want no part of that.
    Do share!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

What on earth are you doing to your ipods? One of ours even survived a trip through the washing machine. We still have a working first generation one - it's a brick but it works (and fun to show to people).

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I washed and dried mine...it did not survive....I am very sad....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Hold the phone, everyone.
    At dinner, my family presented me with a brnd new I Pod for Mother's Day. Talk about foot-in-mouth.

Stockholm Syndrome, here I come.

NJR

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Actually I used Itunes (don't anymore because of my satellite internet download limits) to burn to CD's. And the CD's even work in my car and on my CD player that is so old it's actually a cassette player/recorder (it is at least 15 years old).
    I've done this with my Itunes downloads, too, and then sync the music from the CD to my Creative Zen on either the Zen software or Windows Media Player. It takes a little more time, but works like a charm.

NJR-see they really do love you, and they really do notice what you want. That's so nice of them.

I must give Apple credit. A new, free App is the ability to pinpoint where the device is, should you lose it. Bet that will come in handy.

Now, of course, Apple can track my every move....

NJR

I'm a little confused. You are concerned that you can't convert your music because you don't want to spend the time learning how to do it? I understand it sounds daunting, but it's really not too difficult, and there are tons of tutorials out there that will help you do it in the most efficient way possible. You just have to learn how to do it... iTunes is an Apple platform that was developed to be used in conjunction with Apple products, not unlike most hardware/software combos.

If you really don't want to spend the time to learn how to convert your library, you could pay a college student to do it relatively easily. Then start using Amazon or another source to purchase your music, and learn how to archive it outside of iTunes.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    I must give Apple credit. A new, free App is the ability to pinpoint where the device is, should you lose it. Bet that will come in handy.

Now, of course, Apple can track my every move....
    It's actually really handy when it comes to iPhones... With the iPhone, you can see where it is and even have a message displayed on the screen. A friend of mine had his stolen here in New York, tracked it, and sent a message to the phone that said something to the effect of "This phone has been tracked to 125th Street and Lenox Ave. I'll be there in five minutes. Return the phone, no questions asked."

Sure enough, some scared kid showed up at the corner with the phone a few minutes later.