The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blue Pop Rocks Question

My packets finally arrived today (yay! ) and I'm wondering how you Pop Rocks Peeps feed them. Do you give them all at once, or divided into two separate doses? I know Gastrogard (and the human Prilosec) is only given once a day...but 3-4 packets of the pop rocks seems like a lot to ask Horsie to eat in one sitting. I think I'll try giving them to him in Nutragrain bars as someone suggested (my horse spills his food all over thge place, so putting them in his feed is not an option) but I'm wondering if I should give them all at once -- ???

My guy only gets one packet a sitting, and I usually just pour them onto his feed in a little pile, not all over his feed. He snarfs it down as if it were candy--lol! I think he might eat anything!

I only give one packet a day, and on my picky TB's feed. I sort of stir it in so that he doesn't get a mouthful of anything he doesn't like. He eats them grudgingly but he does eat them.

The single packet was enough to really turn my horse around, I didn't do a loading dose of any sort because having had ulcers myself, I think less is more if you can get it under control with that, otherwise their tummies can get dependent on it if that makes any sense. Maybe it doesn't but it has really helped my guy.

My ulcer boy is a feed slinger so I bought a Supertub with Feed Saver Ring from Dover -- he hates it but can't spill his grain any more. I had to do something to make sure he wasn't wasting his pop rocks, too expensive to sling down the drain. He did sort of go off his feed for a few days in objection to the new, less fun feed bucket, but he has finally given in and realized I'm not giving him his old bucket back.

Pop rocks.... the candy? I've never heard of this... and I'm intrigued
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Not really pop rocks -- this is the COTH name for the packets from omeprazoledirect.com.

I am using 3 pkts/day on a horse that is fairly picky and haven't had an issue with adding them all to his daily beet pulp mix. I don't want the water of the beet pulp to dissolve the enteric coating of the blue beads too quickly, so I put the beet pulp in his feeder with his Platinum Performance and other supps mixed in, then top dress with the blue beads. He eats it all down and hasn't hesitated.

Still on the fence as to whether it has really worked for him (not sure his issues were ulcer related -- did not scope). His appetite has really improved, but he also moved from a bad hay barn to a good hay barn, and the change might have just been due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Not really pop rocks -- this is the COTH name for the packets from omeprazoledirect.com.

I am really glad that we cleared that up right away...I was a little too intrigued!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by VCT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsepoor
    I am really glad that we cleared that up right away...I was a little too intrigued!
    Probably not as intriguing when referred to as the blue-painted kitty litter!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Probably not as intriguing when referred to as the blue-painted kitty litter!
    LOL!!!

Yes, but that would have saved my poor gelding from coming (not too very) close to having blue PopRocks exploding in his mouth and throat!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Default Feeding pop rocks

I asked this question of the omeprazoledirect.com people, as my confirmed Grade 3 ulcer horse is getting 3 packs a day. They recommended splitting up the packs with each feeding he gets, which is what I was doing. Haven't got the 80 additional packets yet, but am on the fence about how effective the initial 20 was, compared to the Ulcergard.
    After we finish the 80 I am having him rescoped, and hopefully will see some improvement.

Susan

Thanks for the info, everyone! And to the peeps who thought I was talking about actual pop rocks -- sorry! There have been so many threads about the omeprazoledirect.com "granules" that I thought it was common knowledge.

I wonder if anyone has ever given their horse Pop Rocks (in general, not necessarily because they misread COTH) and if so, how did the horse react?

LOL .. thanks for the clarification! I did think that you all might be referring to something that just looked like pop rocks as I could not imagine feeding actual pop rocks to a horse... think of the reaction LOL...

Anyways.. neat... I didn't know about that product. Thanks again!
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    I asked this question of the omeprazoledirect.com people, as my confirmed Grade 3 ulcer horse is getting 3 packs a day. They recommended splitting up the packs with each feeding he gets, which is what I was doing. Haven't got the 80 additional packets yet, but am on the fence about how effective the initial 20 was, compared to the Ulcergard.
    After we finish the 80 I am having him rescoped, and hopefully will see some improvement.

Susan
    Please post and let us know how it goes. Fellow poprock users like myself will be interested to hear.

Madame is noticeably less grouchy about the girth and is rounding and lifting her back more during flatwork, and looks gorgeous, after a month of omeprezole paste from Horse Pre-race.

Of course, the improvement could also be due to the warm weather after a cold winter. (Didn't scope and am unlikely to scope).

I have my pop rocks just waiting; they arrived after the supply of Pre-Race omeprazole did. I also will be looking at the pop rocks to see if it's worth getting the remaining 80 packets.

What happens if the coating dissolves? I was planning to sneak them into a wet mash....

Search the past threads, there is a wealth of info and some testing on the "Blue Pop Rocks", including issues with the coating.

I don't see much point in dividing the dose, except if the horse is so picky that the scant teaspoonful per pack is all they will tolerate.

Mine snarfs it down without any trouble, but no matter how much his tummy is bothering him it doesn't keep him from his meals!

I'm down to giving him about 3 packs per week, and so far, even with occasional bute, his "pop rock temperament" is intact.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

I'm down to giving him about 3 packs per week, and so far, even with occasional bute, his "pop rock temperament" is intact.
    How are you doing that? Every other day? And my recollection is that Keebler weighs about 1000 lbs.?

I picked up my 80 packets today from the PO. She's eating like a piglet, is calm as can be. It's such a joy to have refound my sweet mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever given their horse Pop Rocks (in general, not necessarily because they misread COTH) and if so, how did the horse react?
    I did. Horses eyes bugged out of his head. He was unimpressed. Or should I say, very impressed, but not in a good way.

In fact when I read the title of this thread I was going to advise against giving Pop Rock candy to your horse.

Yup, every other day. Keebs is about 950 pounds, a lean 15.2h guy.

I cannot IMAGINE the offended looks of a horse given real Pop Rocks as a treat. I believe I coined the phrase or at least it came about as a result of my constant posting about the stuff, so I apologize for any inadvertent dosing of effervescent candy!
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks, DW. Something to think about through the summer, when she thinks life is pretty easy.

Ugh. I can't imagine giving her real pop rocks. As it is, some days she's convinced I'm trying to poison her. But then, there's no shortage of things I won't give her, that other people are feeding all the time. No wonder horses are having greater dental problems.