The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Board members and management of the 2011 Chagrin Valley Hunter Jumper Classic

I am utterly disapponted to read in the prize list for the Chagrin Valley Hunter Jumper Classic, that they will not be offering stalls to competitors wishing to show only the opening weekend.

The show has a great deal of hoopla among the locals, and the opening weekend has been a wonderful venue for newer competitors, greener horses, and local level riders to enjoy the venue, rings and taste of a big show.

Now, if you are also showing the rated week 1, you may move into your stalls for the opening weekend. But, if you are not showing rated week 1, no stalls for you.

As a young professional with a growing business, I am not happy with this decision. I have clients that have been anticipating particpating at this event, and the show is sanctioned with a good local organization for it's members to earn points towards their year end awards.

Shame.

Am familiar w/ the show but had not previously heard this. I'm w/ you, it pretty well s--ks. But they expect all the local people to come down and support the benefits, buy tickets and so on...Write an editorial to the Chagrin Valley Times...

2tempe, it is apparently a new policy this year, stated in bold letters on page 9 of the prize list. I have had opening weekend stalls previous years when I haven't had a horse for the rated week.

I like your idea.

Is it possible to contact show management and ask why it changed? Explain your situation and see what their response is. Perhaps they would be willing to accomodate your request or at the very least, explain what their reasoning was for the decision. It could be a way to just try to get more money, but maybe there is something else behind it. If you have that information, it would make an editorial in a local paper much stronger, in my opinion.

I just saw that yesterday and was very disappointed as well. I had thought about running Amazing up for the Very Greens, but apparently that's not an option as we are not showing the rated show this year. To be honest, I found everything on that whole page very negative...a whole list of things you can NOT do and can NOT have in the stalls. All in bold letters and it seemed to make the whole tone of the show very sour to me. Not the best way to attract exhibitors in this economy for sure. I'll take my money somewhere where I am appreciated and treated well.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Thank you Schmoe, I have already sent a message to one of the board of trustees. I am certain from one standpoint there is a reason, however, I feel strongly that in a sport where time/ experience/ mileage prepares our horses and riders for the A shows, this decision inhibits growth and potentially revenue.

There is a 3 day lapse between Opening Weekend and WeekI, and there is also a second rated week following that with a 2 day lapse, therefore, potentially there could be a change in stalls between the rated weeks as well.

Horsechick, my thoughts as well. My jumper came off a soft tissue injury, and I wanted to do the schoolings, I have a couple of hunters for the very greens, and a slew of low childrens, novice hunters, and a couple of cross rails kids. None of these have a place in the rated weeks; and the decision completely shuts us out. It actually shuts out a lot of young competitors, reriders and green horses.

I wonder why they changed that? The local weekend is always pure mayhem with a boat load of entries, I dont see why they would discourage that. Local Weekend was my first "real" horse show four years ago(went from that to the AA jrs in four years), I think denying that to barns who don't have rated week stalls is a shame.

Am I the only one skeptical of the whole two weeks AA rating this year? If Ashland stays both weeks then it may deserve that ranking, but entries were even low in the juniors with only one week of showing last year. With Traverse City going on at the same time, it seems like Cleveland is the awkward in-between show. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprix123 View Post
    Am I the only one skeptical of the whole two weeks AA rating this year? If Ashland stays both weeks then it may deserve that ranking, but entries were even low in the juniors with only one week of showing last year. With Traverse City going on at the same time, .
    Shows don't 'deserve' ratings. If they offer the required prize money they get whatever rating they paid for.
    Next year that will change because new rules will require a certain level of entries.

Stalls are $200. How many of the unrated shows exhibitors would be willing to pay $200 for three days. How many of the unrated exhibitors need a stall? Looks like some of the divisions only run on one day.

Any exhibitor showing in an A rated division needs to have a stall available if entered by the closing date. Nothing wrong with accomodating those exhibitors with stalls the week before, they are paying high entry fees, USEF,USHJA fees etc. It's good business for the rated portion of the show especially with it being expanded to two weeks.

Sometimes it takes me a while to think things all the way through so here's what I'm wondering...
    Local weekend has 8 zillion classes in multiple rings.
    Temporary stalls will all be up
    Local riders have to trailer in and sit around for hours waiting for their class
    WHERE exactly do they think all these trailers and horses are going to be put??

Sounds to me like they are going to end up w/ about 6 entries and a bunch of very peeved people local riders/owners and trainers This is crazy.
    Last edited by 2tempe; May. 8, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added word

SA McKee, I believe that last year Opening Weekend stalls were in the ball park of $125.00, and oh yes, many people paid it. I took several horses, and if I recall correctly, other people stabled too!

So, I understand letting Rated week horses come in a week early,but seriously, for what? 6 days of prime tral riding in the metro park? Do you want to watch them drag the RISO ring 19 times? Are you going to enter your junior hunter in the w/t crossrails? So, how many people are going to come a week early compared to the number of local people who don't NEED a stall?

If well managed, the stalls can be sold more than once. Also, saturday/ sunday divisions are split over both days, in the hunter rings; so having stabling makes life a lot easier.
    And seriously, I do not show off the trailer, most trainers who have 5+ horses to take somewhere aren't showing off the trailer either in July, or most months. Or maybe you do, who knows, more power to those that do.

I also believe stalls should be free to local day riders, I have always paid for a stall for local weekend since I do not want to babysit my horses by a trailer. Those weekends it is either blistering hot or rainy all day.

I did think of another situation - in the past local day has been growing, while the rated weeks keep shrinking in number of entries. No one wants to come to the Cleveland show anymore and the show is losing money. They probably are hoping for a head count so they can save money and not buy tents and stalls.

As Clevelanders and local show-ers we support the show. We all love the chance to bring our horses to a rated show situation. Problem is if the Chagrin show keeps losing money all that will be left will be local day and then no one will come because it is "just another show."

Solve that problem and then you might get your stalls back.

TrakG, I I have been watching the show shift as well for years; as I am not on the board of trustees, I cannot direct the path for the show to take. I am sure that the board members are frustrated, however, you start by caring for your business close to home first.

They have changed title sponsors many times, it is not a "charity" show.

But I do to a degree disagree with you, on it being "just another show". The locals have a deep rooted love affair with the show, it's historic value, and the grounds.

I would be understanding to Rated week competitors having access to their stalls early with no additional charge. I am not sure where the tents are leased from, but as someone who is not wholly ignorant of the process and the rate; it could be adjusted that a limited number of stalls would be available to Opening weekend only and provide a small amount of stabling for those wanting to reserve it.
    I read the prize list as management/ board being unwilling to accomodate all competitors, in turn which is a loss of revenue, period. When Opening weekend has had healthy turn-out year after year; why on earth would you stifle it by removing stabling; when the rest of the show looses money?