The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWYD? Abuse?

Today being the first nice day in awhile, we actually got to spend the day in the back yard. (Kids, DH, dog, myself) We live in a housing development where our yard backs to others (deep yards, but from our patio to the back neighbor's is about 400 feet, so you can still see everything that's going on over there). Today I got to witness my jerk neighbor "puppy training".

First, the dog (I'd say about 6 months old or so, cute flufferdoodle type) ran off the deck into their yard and didn't come back when he called it, so he went and grabbed it and threw it back onto the deck. I was appalled. Then, a little while later the dog ran into the next door neighbor's yard and again didn't come back when he called it. He went over there (I didn't see the grab, it was behind trees, but there was a yelp) carried it by the scruff of it's neck (probably a 30# dog) while smacking it in the face with the other hand, and then threw it even more forcefully (didn't land on it's feet and slid) at the deck. Then, he followed onto the deck and hit it again.

I don't know what to do. We have a pretty good relationship with all except these neighbors. I don't want to have a neighbor war (we've already had conflicts with them due to their spoiled rotten teenage sons' loud drunken parties and fireworks until all hours of the night all summer long). Between them having more money than god and the punk kids that I'm really scared would do something to us, our kids, pets, or property - I just don't need that. Plus, confrontation probably wouldn't do any good besides getting ugly. I made sure he knew I was watching, but it obviously didn't matter.

Calling the authorities? Who? Would they even do anything based on heresay? My experience is that unless an animal is starved, unsheltered, or visibly abused, they won't do anything.

I just don't know what to do???

That is "visible abuse." You saw it. The dog can't speak for itself.

Call the animal officer to come have a chat with the bastard.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

The dog can't call for help.

But you can.

Do it before the violence escalates, and the puppy is injured or killed.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Absolutely! The dog can't speak up and if you saw it and care, please take action!
    PennyG

Have video capability on your cell phone? Take the video then call the police. In many places animal abuse is getting to be more and more on the radar, and police are making arrests. Your call should be treated anonymously.

However, reading between the lines on your post, what I'd more likely do is convince puppy that my yard was the place to run to when free. Then at the first escape, load puppy in car and drive two counties over and put dog in the shelter there.

Another possibility is to tell your neighbor, BTW did you know I am a dog trainer? and offer to train puppy for them.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Take a video before calling the police. Concrete evidence of abuse will be better than 'he says, she says'
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Take a video before calling the police. Concrete evidence of abuse will be better than 'he says, she says'
    Do not wait for more abuse! If the city is proactive they will check up on it. Big chance that more than the poor little defenseless puppy is being abused in that household. How sad and shocking for you to see. I am sorry.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I understand why someone would want to grab the puppy and find it a new home, but they'll just get another dog and abuse it.

People with a history of animal abuse frequently end up committing child abuse, if not worse. Get a video of the jerk abusing the puppy, then call the police. Tell them you wish to remain anonymous because you fear retaliation.

By ignoring obvious abuse, you are allowing to continue. And perhape even enabling the jerk to do something more serious.

Good luck....

Shoot, shovel, and shut up. The neighbor, not the dog.

Gah, I'm sorry I read this. I HATE people sometimes.

Well, I did call the humane society in Cleveland. They told me to call the local police. The problem is that said neighbor has a lot of money, owns businesses in our small town, and is friends with most of the cops around here. I will try to get video, but it doesn't seem like anything will be done.

An even sadder thing - I watched the guy showing his daughter how to "train" the dog to stay on the deck by him holding the leash while she called the dog off of the deck and him ripping the dog back onto the deck when he came to the daughter. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    I understand why someone would want to grab the puppy and find it a new home, but they'll just get another dog and abuse it.

People with a history of animal abuse frequently end up committing child abuse, if not worse. Get a video of the jerk abusing the puppy, then call the police. Tell them you wish to remain anonymous because you fear retaliation.

By ignoring obvious abuse, you are allowing to continue. And perhape even enabling the jerk to do something more serious.

Good luck....
    This is true. When we first moved in they had a very old deaf, blind Golden Retriever that I watched him whale on. The dog was put to sleep before I was able to process/do anything about that one. I need to at least try to help this one. Maybe a visit from the cops will scare him enough to stop even if they don't do anything.

I would very visibly (as in, he sees you doing it) tape him beating the puppy. Then talk to him- maybe he just doesn't know any better? you'd be astonished as to how many people think "this is how you are supposed to do it" when training animals and don't really want to engage in such violence and are eager to hear there is a different way. We hope. Then report him. If AC won't do anything the media likes to show videos of people engaged in violence towards well, anything.

Absolutely do NOT talk to him. He sounds unhinged. He could easily become violent to you, or hurt your pets in "retaliation." I agree, video it, then go down to the police station and tell them you want to be anonymous.l
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I would not talk to him either. If his sons don't retaliate, he for sure will, sounds like.

I'm nervous for the children in the household too. Abuse rarely stops at just one kind.

Personally, I am all for a little bit of "liberation" for the pup. They might get another.....and then that one might just run away too. COTH is a wide network...said pups can find safe homes far, far away!

But yes. Video, and bring it to the police. Be sure to hint that if proper action isn't taken, then you WILL be bringing it to the attention of the media, who love a good heart-tugging story about animals. You can video subtly, too. If your phone has video capabilities, pretend to be texting or trying to change the battery or something. If you have a child, park them on the property line and film them waving or doing cartwheels, with the man abusing the dog in the background. Or hide in the house and get the footage out the window. He doesn't have to (and shouldn't, for your safety!) see you videoing. (Can you tell I played "spy" a lot as a child? )

That sounds horrible to watch. He probably doesn't know any better, but good luck convincing him to use different training methods. The whole family sounds a bit off. If he was an otherwise reasonable, nice person, then it might be worth it to try to educate him. In this case, I doubt it. I wouldn't address it with him and I agree with the person who said not to let him see you taping him. If you can tape him in a way he doesn't realize, I think that would definitely be better. This is a shame.

Many police departments or sheriff's have an animal abuse officer. Usually it's a county thing. That poor puppy must be so confused and afraid. I hate that he has to go through more abuse to get evidence. Check out what is available and maybe find out if there is an officer who handles that sort of thing and speak to him or her. I would sure as hell steal that pup if at all possible. I've been guilty of getting animals out of bad situations in a covert manner and have no qualms about doing it again. All that bastard is doing is teaching that puppy to get away from him. Good luck! I wish some big guy who is an animal lover would take that guy out back and work him over.
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Absolutely do NOT talk to him. He sounds unhinged. He could easily become violent to you, or hurt your pets in "retaliation." I agree, video it, then go down to the police station and tell them you want to be anonymous.l
    Huge ditto. Please carefully follow up. The police cannot look at a video of someone beating a dog in the face and not follow through. If they aren't taking you seriously i would let it leak to a newspaper anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Another possibility is to tell your neighbor, BTW did you know I am a dog trainer? and offer to train puppy for them.
    I seriously doubt this neighbor even gives a crap about training the dog.

These types of abusers are simply looking for a punching bag to take out their frustrations on. If this puppy was the best trained animal in the whole world and never misbehaved, this jerk would STILL find a reason to beat the tar out of it, simply because he's frustrated/angry/sociopathic/narcissistic, etc.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I know the OP is concerned about the puppy and also about her own safety. I googled and found this site http://clevelandapl.org/humaneinvestigations.htm.
    It explains how it works and it sounds as though they are very serious about investigating and taking action as well as keeping their source confidential. I hope the OP reads this and follows up. Thanks!!
    PennYG

Update, please??? Hoping you have reported this tyrant.
    PennyG