The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Charcoal flavored dog biscuits?

Whats the point behind these? I bought a large bag of dog biscuits and there are charcoal flavored ones along with all the "normal" flavors. Oddly, both my dogs gobbled one right up. Doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but then I don't drink out of the toilet either.
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

Maybe I should suggest plastic flavored ones.....just found that a young pup I am fostering chewed up the plastic foot pedal on my exercise bike....of course it was the one closest to the wall so I didn't see it until it was too late Dogs, you gotta love em.

Charcoal is supposed to help with tummy upset, but i don't know why they like the taste.

My dog disapproves . He manged to grab a piece of charcoal/charred wood from a old fire yesterday. He immediately spit it out and started scraping his tongue on his teeth This is a do who will eat sticks, couches, pills, metal, plastic ANYTHING!

why feed dog biscuits at all? never grasped the concept. Too big to be a training reward. Most dogs are overweight so they don't need high-carb snacks, with or without charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    why feed dog biscuits at all? never grasped the concept. Too big to be a training reward. Most dogs are overweight so they don't need high-carb snacks, with or without charcoal.
    That horse you rode in on is SO HIGH!
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Most dogs are overweight .
    Really? What is the source of that statistic?

I personally make my own dog treats because it's way cheaper and healthier. Amazingly, my dogs are not overweight despite having six or seven of my treats a day.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

my dogs are also not overweight. They are given treats for behaving during the day. if i call them to the house and they come, they get a reward. Doesn't have to be huge, my biscuits are tiny, and don't you snack through the day? i know i do. even a healthy snack helps with hunger.

I make my own dog treats as well, but they bear no resemblance to "dog biscuits" either in size or ingredients.
    seriously why dog biscuits? I don't understand the concept.

wendy - My dogs get one dog biscuit after the last trip outside. This is their signal that playtime is over and it's time for bed. One biscuit per day isn't going to add to the obesity problem in dogs, and I like giving them a treat. I also like my three oreos and a glass of milk before bed. Sue me.

StG

I make my own dog treats as well, but they bear no resemblance to "dog biscuits" either in size or ingredients.
    well goody for you that you "don't understand the concept"

My dogs get the concept just fine They like them. They eat them. They keep well. I stick them in my pocket when I take them on a walk to reinforce commands. They don't get my pockets gross like a soft treat would. I find homemade treats to be too fragile and fall apart in my pocket. I use puppy size or medium sized even though my smallest dog is 30 lbs and largest is 80 lbs.
    None of my 3 are overweight. My vet has actually made comments to his tech one time that you don't see a neutered male lab at age 7 with this much muscling and in such good weight.
    My dogs get fed at about 6 am and 8 or 9 pm. That is a long time between meals.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Just for the record, neither of my dogs are overweight. The dog biscuits I bought them are grain free, all natural.
    Since my lab mix is 17 years old, and the 11 year old yellow lab still acts like a puppy, I must be doing something right.
    Stallions are from Mars.
    Mares are from Venus.
    Ponies are from Hell!

Seriously? You don't understand the concept of dog biscuits? They are a dog treat in the form of a dry biscuit. Not a real tough concept to grasp, but there you have it.

Those of you that make your own-- where do you get your recipes?

I made up my own recipe:

2 c. whole wheat flour
    1 c brown rice flour
    1/2 c oatmeal
    1/4 c flax seed
    1 egg including crunched-up shell

1 cup of lukewarm liquid - lowsodium or homemade chicken or beef broth, with 1 packet of instant yeast, dissolved (don't get the liquid too hot or you'll kill the yeast) Let liquid/yeast sit for ten minutes to proof.

Add-ins: 1/3 c peanut butter, 1/3 c cream cheese, a grated carrot, bacon grease

Mix everything together in one bowl. You will need to use your hands to knead the dough for a couple of minutes til it forms a nice smushy ball. Add a little extra flour if it seems too sticky. Leave the dough in the bowl, cover w/plastic wrap, and let it rise til doubled. (This can take a couple of hours. You can go away and do something else. Nothing bad will happen if it sits for three or four hours.)

Divide dough in half and roll out on two greased and floured cookie sheets. You'll need to sprinkle the dough with a little flour so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. Cut into squares with a pizza cutter. Bake at 350 for half an hour or until hard.

Yum!
    Last edited by Guin; May. 10, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Someone makes pizza flavoured dog treats- all dogs love those!!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    ROFL!!!!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Corgilicious get dog treats for existing. That's how they roll. Somewhere, the dog whisperer is cringing.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Awesome!!

My dog is also nowhere near overweight! No offence to others that have fed or feed the raw diet, we ourselves tried it (made my dog extrememly sick!!). But her attitude is really typical of a lot of the BARF people I've met! Crickey, while YOU personally think one thing it doesn't mean the whole flipping world has too!!

My dog LIKES dog buscuits.....kind of like how I LIKE McDonalds ......gasp, shock, horror!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Awesome!!

My dog is also nowhere near overweight! No offence to others that have fed or feed the raw diet, we ourselves tried it (made my dog extrememly sick!!). But her attitude is really typical of a lot of the BARF people I've met! Crickey, while YOU personally think one thing it doesn't mean the whole flipping world has too!!

My dog LIKES dog buscuits.....kind of like how I LIKE McDonalds ......gasp, shock, horror!

Mine like them as well! They don't get many - I break them in half and each dog gets one when *I* have my evening snack.
    Some of the BARF people scare me. And after reading the dog food thread, I feel guilty that I'm not buying $72-a-bag food. (Mine get Kirkland, and are thriving on it. Should someone develop an allergy or sensitivity, of course I'll make a change).