The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo critique for a potential H/J prospect

My friend is looking at this horse for a potential, local level hunter, maybe a little dressage. 3' max, very lower level dressage.

I expressed what I see but told them the knowledgable folks here would be awesome help! Thoughts?

The only thing I will say bc you can't see it is that this poor guy has the most unfortunate sized head. But a very soft, kind eye to take some attention off of his large noggin.

Hopefully this picture works. I don't post them much and always seem to have trouble.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-...961606/jpeg/BG

It is hard to tell much from the picture, do you have some others too? He looks sweet, bless his heart I bet he would look very nice with another 200 pounds on that frame. What is his breeding?

I had a horse with a big head, I made sure he had a very full tail and it kind of balanced the picture. A bridle with a very wide noseband helps too, they are common nowadays so it will be easy to find one.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-.../jpeg/BG/async

Not an abundance of pics. What I know is he's a 5yo TB with a past owner who was very neglectful. Current owner picked him up about 150 lbs lighter than he is now and with green boogies from the pneumonia he had. They don't want him bc he's too big but didn't want him to die where he was so they brought him home to place him.

You cannot tell jumping scope, Hunter potential or Dressage rideability from a picture of a horse standing in a field partially obscured by person standing in front of most of it's front end.

Can you get a better photo? More then one is much better. And how old is this one? Is it saddle broke? Well finished? Can we see a rider on it?
    All these bits of information can help solve the puzzle of suitability for what your friend wants where this single (bad) picture just is a single (bad) picture of a standing, partially obscured horse.

Personally I could not care less about the head but that bellied up look is troublesome-could be wormy or could be conformational. Looks to stand posty behind with a very open hip angle usually translating to a short stride and lack of ability to track up-which indicates abilty to extend gaits and get the lines between jumps.

But not fair to say for sure based on this picture.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

There is another photo on post #3, while again not great, but the best that is available at this time. As well a little more info on his history which I think will answer the questions of rideability, training and explain his physical condition.

I know you can look at a picture of a horse that is completely jacked up and they could be an awesome hunter or vice versa, perfectly put together for the job and suck at it. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were of his confo and added what job he would do bc I knew if I didn't, I would be asked right away.

His head isn't my concern either. Just mentioned bc it's hard to miss when you see him in person. Lol Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either. I'm more interested in what's between the ears than size of what the ears attach to.

I dunno...depends on price too. You can live with some things if they are cheap enough.

But, overall the impression I get is this one does not look healthy-and feeling sorry is a bad motive for buying one you need to use and cannot stick in the field while you ride something else. His weight is not all that bad but the dull coat and expression put me off. They don't all bounce back from years of abuse/neglect without consequence.

He may make a nice basic pleasure model but...the second photo also shows the big belly plus he is long below the knees/hocks and appears weak in the back end structure. The topline is unattractive and, no it does not always fill out, looks like it is pretty short in the neck as well. Just don't see a jumper there and he probably is not going to have the kind of gait quality even a lower level Dressage horse would need to score well.

Of course I could be wrong and have been before...here I don't think so though. Lots for sale out there for your friend who specifically wants something to compete on, preferrably over fences.

I wish the poor guy luck but would pass for the stated purpose. Unless he was just about free and I could keep him as a second horse and had something else as a primary show horse.

Agree with f8 -- I would pass. Long back, short neck, hind legs look too straight to be a good mover, and of course the head is not that attractive particularly on that short neck. I would worry about that respiratory history too. He looks sweet but I would try to find something more appealing. The way he is put together, he seems like a very average joe type horse and likely to stay that way even with some groceries and TLC.

I was given a horse with some of the same conformational challenges and I have to say - he is one of the kindest horses I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Not a tremendous athlete and hard to get a lead change on but will happily do any job you ask him to do.

His particular gift is giving young children or the timid rider confidence.

Wow...just Wow so much negotive comments from 2 poor grainey phot's.

From someone who looks @ n buys TB's every day and sells a fair number every year (who pass the vet)

My 2 cents.
    He is standing square and balanced, his back sure doesn't look to long under saddle (western or not), his length of neck and the way it comes up out of his withers has nice harmony, he looks to have a pleaseant eye, clean legs coming out of all 4 corners. Head does not appear to big or out of balance.
    With weight and muscle this will be a whole nother horse.
    Can't comment on movement...and unless he is like priced @ $5k and headed for WEF...if he's sound and a decent mover...why the heck not????

Thanks guys. Most of the flaws I saw too but love seeing/ learning the opinions of the ones I missed. I have considered taking him to see what he turns out like if they pass. But I have other rides and the time to wait it out. Something about his demeanor. My main turn offs are the straight hocks & shorter neck.

He is free. He's near me so I went for a looksie to save my friend the 2hr drive for nothing. His coat in person is actually very shiny and nice. He is due to be wormed again. Legs amazingly clean for an ottb. He WAS cared for and raced till about a year ago when previous owners decided to replace him some young blood or so I am told by my connections in the little race town that he is from.

The current owners just took him in 3 1/2 weeks ago, cleared up the pneumonia and have worked to get him gaining. I guess it's true that the camera adds 10 lbs. Lol. This poor guy is def skinny, hip bones & back bone showing.

Again, I agree with what has been pointed out and as a personal riding horse I think this guy will take lots of time, tlc and may still never be much more than a trail horse. still feel sorry for him. He's so sweet and has such a want to please look in his eye.
    Last edited by Dare to Dream; May. 6, 2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Content

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Wow...just Wow so much negotive comments from 2 poor grainey phot's...
    When people ask for my opinion, I give it. Based on alot of years knowing how to find that diamond under a coating of crap? This one puts me off for the stated purpose.

He may very well be a kind and gentle type and be very useful. Or he may regain his health and vitality to become an energizer bunny or turn out to be nuts-that you cannot know.

As a show/competition mount for one who can only own a single horse??? I am not so sure I'd recommend one like this.

Does friend have a plan B for this horse if it does not work out? Someplace to keep him and something else to ride? Or is this IT?

Free is fine and dandy but pneumonia can recur and can also leave respiratory problems plus a good rotational worming program and some follow up vet work are needed-with no guarantees. Frankly, even free, with the recent serious illness? I would get a basic PPE including bloodwork.

I stand by my initial impression based on the information given about horse and OPs friend and those admittedly iffy pictures.

I actually didn't give the pneumonia reoccurrence a thought so I appreciate yall pointing that out. See two, three or ten heads are always better than one!

This case is an "all the eggs in one basket" situation so with my two cents and the concurring opinions here, I think they should and will pass.

And with the potential matter of the pneumonia reoccurring, I would definitely get a PPE if I decided to give the poor guy a chance. Tho, I will definitely have to sleep on it and do my research through my local contacts to see what, if any more bad history this guy has. Unfortunately, we cant save them all.

Many thanks. I never like to give friends my opinion as fact bc I am by far the confo guru. Plus everyones eye is different. That's the great thing about the collection of people here. You get many valuable opinions that you can utilize to form your own opinion/decision.

As a show/competition mount for one who can only own a single horse??? I am not so sure I'd recommend one like this.
    Where did the re-occuring pnemonia diagnosis come from?? A vet?

THe OP has not ever stated the level of competition the show @ or aspire to, and still no mention of how he moves.

Yup a free horse cost as much as a paid horse to care for.

You all have way better crystal balls than I do